Fourth Time is the Charm?

Looking for an indictment of Scott Frost’s tenure beyond the win-loss record? He is entering his 4th season in Lincoln, and he doesn’t have anyone who can challenge Adrian Martinez for the starting quarterback spot. There is more of a focus on the battle between Logan Smothers and Heinrich Haarberg to back up Martinez, rather than either of those guys pushing a QB with just 1 300-yard passing game in his last 23 starts.

As fall camps get under way across the country and beat writers churn out content about the biggest storylines for their respective teams, it’s noteworthy where there isn’t a story: Nebraska’s quarterback position.

Looking for an indictment of Scott Frost’s tenure beyond the win-loss record? He is entering his 4th season in Lincoln, and he doesn’t have anyone who can challenge Adrian Martinez for the starting quarterback spot. There is more of a focus on the battle between Logan Smothers and Heinrich Haarberg to back up Martinez, rather than either of those guys pushing a QB with just 1 300-yard passing game in his last 23 starts.

Instead of stories about which QB is pushing Martinez, there are reports of how he is rejuvenated and refocusedand that this is the season that he’ll finally be comfortable as a pocket passer. This is the season that he’s now “playing free” and “has nothing left to lose.” That Martinez “is playing at the highest level I’ve ever seen,” according to tight ends coach Sean Beckton.

I’m sorry, but after a certain point, Martinez is who he is.

We have a large enough sample size to know who the Huskers are with Martinez at QB — a below-average offense that is limited through the air and lacks explosiveness. It’s not a winning combination; Nebraska is 11-16 in games that Martinez started, with no bowl-game appearances.
In other words, I’m not buying any of the hype out of Lincoln.

Gosh that Martinez situation sounds just like Jerry Kill’s 4 yr run with Leidner.

Top Bottom