Four Gophers Receive 2023-24 All-B1G Honors

I agree with Spottedmuskie in that I was surprised to see the Coaches have Dawson on the 3rd team while the Media had him on the 2nd team. I would have guessed it would be the other way around with the coaches recognizing how big a part of Minnesota's season Dawson was and the media maybe not grasping that.

I really enjoyed watching Hawkins play, but he doesn't have a leg to stand on for All Conference honors. We play in 14 team league, finished below .500 and tied for 9-11th places with a team whose coach got fired in season and a first year head coach. Hawkins had 6 conference games where he had 2 or fewer field goals and shot below 20% from the field. I do like Dawson standing up for his teammate, but playing better and winning more is the recipe for getting more recognition.

I literally posted a quote from the Northwestern game thread not a half hour before this.
That is the loosest possible "proof" to back up your preposterous statement. In game threads are notorious for knee jerk and off the wall reactions.

You would be hard pressed to find many fans that truly believe the team would be better off without Garcia next year.

I disagree that winning rightly matters when it comes to these selections. By that faulty logic, any player on Purdue's roster would be more deserving than Garcia or any outstanding player from a lower division team. These awards honor individuals. Banners and trophies honor teams.

That is the loosest possible "proof" to back up your preposterous statement. In game threads are notorious for knee jerk and off the wall reactions.
So then... you agree.

I DID read on GH that the Gophers would be better off if Garcia wasn't here next year.

You would be hard pressed to find many fans that truly believe the team would be better off without Garcia next year.

Well said! I don't know what USAF said because I have him on ignore but I know it's nothing good. I read bga's comments when they appeared in the thread. I interpreted them as idle, thinking-out-loud speculation like "Is it be possible that the team could be better without Garcia next year?" rather than some declaration of belief. On the whole, fans never want to see the best player depart but once in awhile it does happen that a team performs better after a star player leaves.

I disagree that winning rightly matters when it comes to these selections. By that faulty logic, any player on Purdue's roster would be more deserving than Garcia or any outstanding player from a lower division team. These awards honor individuals. Banners and trophies honor teams.
This is a purist’s perspective, and I respect it. I don’t agree, though. In practice, the best players on the best teams are (almost) always recognized. They’re the reason they’re the best teams. That’s not faulty logic, IMO.

I’m a big fan of Parker Fox, but what’s the definition of the Sportsmanship award? He seems to be by far the most animated shit talker and showboat on the team.

Every blocked shot is followed by a finger wag, every dunk comes with a flex or the “too small” gesture.

To be clear, I don’t have a problem with any of it, just curious the criteria for the award. I assume it has more to do with his dedication to the team, academics and work in the community.
One from each team.

I read that. I disagree with that interpretation.

Unless it was someone like BarnBurner who I don't see because I make use of the ignore list. Then I would retract my statement.

USAF is similar to BarnBurner.....in which they continue to play the same bit that nobody found funny or clever in the first place.....repeatedly for months.

This is a purist’s perspective, and I respect it. I don’t agree, though. In practice, the best players on the best teams are (almost) always recognized. They’re the reason they’re the best teams. That’s not faulty logic, IMO.
OK, then, my vote for second-team all-conference goes to the second man off the bench for Purdue.

Top Bottom