Four Gophers Receive 2023-24 All-B1G Honors

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the U:

The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team had four individuals receive postseason All-Big Ten recognition, announced today by the league office. Dawson Garcia was named Second Team All-Big Ten by the Media and Third Team by the coaches, while Elijah Hawkins was Big Ten Honorable Mention in both categories. Cam Christie was named to the All-Big Ten Freshman Team, while Parker Fox received Minnesota’s Sportsmanship Award.

Go Gophers!!

It’s very clear team success influenced the voting.
I guess I would say that's as it should be. Although Jahmir Young made one first team…

But even so, if you look at the POY rankings on T-rank (which take into account many statistical factors) for the B10 conference games only, the top 6 were the same as the combined media/coaches first teams. I'm actually impressed the humans got it that right. Where they missed was that Coleman Hawkins was #7 on that list and only made one of the 3rd teams. Garcia was #12, FWIW, so, to be 2nd on one team and third on the other is pretty fair.

Last edited:

I’m a big fan of Parker Fox, but what’s the definition of the Sportsmanship award? He seems to be by far the most animated shit talker and showboat on the team.

Every blocked shot is followed by a finger wag, every dunk comes with a flex or the “too small” gesture.

To be clear, I don’t have a problem with any of it, just curious the criteria for the award. I assume it has more to do with his dedication to the team, academics and work in the community.

I’m a big fan of Parker Fox, but what’s the definition of the Sportsmanship award? He seems to be by far the most animated shit talker and showboat on the team.

Every blocked shot is followed by a finger wag, every dunk comes with a flex or the “too small” gesture.

To be clear, I don’t have a problem with any of it, just curious the criteria for the award. I assume it has more to do with his dedication to the team, academics and work in the community.
The New Sportsmanship, I guess

I read that. I disagree with that interpretation.

Unless it was someone like BarnBurner who I don't see because I make use of the ignore list. Then I would retract my statement.
Read it again.
Here's bga1, for example, responding to a post suggesting Dawson won't be back:

I might be ok with that. I know, he has terrific offensive skills. Something about him just doesn't add up to winning. In Big Ten games where he scored over 30.. 0-3. In Big Ten games he scored over 20....3-6. In Big Ten games he scored under 10....2-0. I don't get it but it concerns me.

No you didn't. You're thinking of Battle. Which in his case was true...since we needed to develop this year...to really gear up for next year.
Hush, dipshit.

At GH, people were talking about the impact of losing Battle. He put up strong scoring numbers. But the current roster is probably better without him.

If you could only have one or the other:

1. Battle. Ohio State lured away Battle.

2. Hawkins & Mitchell. Gophers picked up Hawkins & Mitchell. Lose 1, get 1.

The roster last year was messed-up lopsided. Guard was an issue, and still needs depth and development.

Christie had already committed. Let's hope he has a decent-to-great game against MSU. It's a big game. Gophers flashed earlier this season. Guard Isaac Osamu is coming next season.

I read here on GH the Gophers will be better off if Garcia doesn't come back for '24-'25.
BS you are just making crap up or taking things out of context in order to have an excuse to post something negative.

People were absolutely saying things like that about Battle. On the same token basically everyone says we need to bring everyone back and add to it to have a shot at being really good next year. If Garcia goes pro it will leave a big hole in the roster and it will be on Johnson to go out and find a really good replacement.

Looking at All Big Ten honors for the whole conference, it appears every team has one player get a sportsmanship award, and it seems like it mostly doesn't go to star players, and maybe not even starters. Parker Fox was a high energy bench guy who overcame injury troubles, so maybe they give it to guys who play really hard, crowd favorites, bench players who contribute more than expected, something like that.

Looking at All Big Ten honors for the whole conference, it appears every team has one player get a sportsmanship award, and it seems like it mostly doesn't go to star players, and maybe not even starters. Parker Fox was a high energy bench guy who overcame injury troubles, so maybe they give it to guys who play really hard, crowd favorites, bench players who contribute more than expected, something like that.
Yeah, I think each team actually nominates their own player. Love Parker for all those reasons you listed.

BS you are just making crap up or taking things out of context in order to have an excuse to post something negative.

People were absolutely saying things like that about Battle. On the same token basically everyone says we need to bring everyone back and add to it to have a shot at being really good next year. If Garcia goes pro it will leave a big hole in the roster and it will be on Johnson to go out and find a really good replacement.
I literally posted a quote from the Northwestern game thread not a half hour before this.

Interesting that the media chose Dawson as 2nd team and coaches chose him at 3rd team. The only gameplan against the Gophers from opposing coaches was to shut down Dawson and they nominate him for 3rd team? Kind of odd, I would have to side with the media on that one.

On the other hand, I would have to disagree with Tony on being snubbed from the first team, winning is what matters most here and well yeah..

Great to see Dawson sticking up for his teammate, perhaps both will be motivated to come back together and make the big dance.

If we have mass exodus, then we gotta send Ben out with the boys.

Top Bottom