Four Gophers Named Team Captains

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

University of Minnesota head coach Ben Johnson has announced the 2022-23 team captains: Jamison Battle, Ta'Lon Cooper, Dawson Garcia and Taurus Samuels. The honor marks the first of their collegiate careers for Battle and Garcia and the second for Cooper and Samuels as they were named captains at Morehead State and Dartmouth.

Go Gophers!!

Probably fine, but if you have four do you have any? The other three guys are new. I may have just gone with Battle but have no idea about anybody's personality or the feel of the locker room.

Probably fine, but if you have four do you have any? The other three guys are new. I may have just gone with Battle but have no idea about anybody's personality or the feel of the locker room.
But there are only a few players that were here last year, so everybody is new. I think experience was rewarded with captaincy.

Right on !!!
When you have 4, that's like saying We have 2 starting quarterbacks, which means , you have no quality at all, bad move Ben !!!
YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 1 CHIEF !!

“I have no idea but I’ll make up something anyway”

Never heard of a team failing due to too many captains. Could be a first!

I agree with the “if you have 2 QB’s, do you really have 1” theory but if all 4 of these guys have “Captain” qualities, then I think we’re in good shape.

“I have no idea but I’ll make up something anyway”

Never heard of a team failing due to too many captains. Could be a first!
Have you ever coached any team? Any team at least junior high or older?
Have you managed any sort of group or business?
I'll keep it simple for you: You got four captains...two want to do it this way, two want to do it another way. How do you decide what the decision is going to be? Flipping coins or drawing straws....oh dang it...wait...we can't decide which is better. We'll do nothing.

Any idea the difference in how a season goes with good captains versus bad captains? Trust me, it is a huge factor.

Have you ever coached any team? Any team at least junior high or older?
Have you managed any sort of group or business?
I'll keep it simple for you: You got four captains...two want to do it this way, two want to do it another way. How do you decide what the decision is going to be? Flipping coins or drawing straws....oh dang it...wait...we can't decide which is better. We'll do nothing.

Any idea the difference in how a season goes with good captains versus bad captains? Trust me, it is a huge factor.
Weird the coaching staff with more experience than you disagrees.

4 Captains should be fine. We can promote one of them to Lieutenant if we need to.

Ben’s not a born leader but he can learn. Let’s chalk it up as learning.

Weird the coaching staff with more experience than you disagrees.
Really not much of a disagreement, my first post on the discussion said it was probably fine.
That I didn't/don't know the personalities of the four guys.
I may have done it the same way? Dunno. Sorry any discussion pisses so many folks off.
We all know there is only one way to do anything in your mind...the PJ Fleck way on the football side and the Ben Johnson way on the basketball side with you. Anything but coach echo thoughts on a message board are forbidden in your head. I like Ben. I'd rather have PJ than 90 some per cent of alternatives. It'd just be nice to have discussions on here of alternative decisions versus ambushes all the time.
You have 100% more information than I do...you know these people...I know one coach 10 -20 years ago. I'm making observations from 30,000 feet hoping to learn reasons for the decisions not to get constantly shot at.

Top Bottom