Former Waseca HS and NDSU 6-foot-10 big Andrew Morgan will visit the Gophers on Thursday

Morgan is not the only (or most talented) Big man in the portal. I think Ben did pretty well (in spite of high anxiety and ample criticism) finding two capable guards in the portal last year. I’m not panicking. Garcia is back. Let’s see how it plays out. What would it mean if no one else was interested in guys we wanted? Plenty of time yet….

Morgan to Nebraska

COME ON GOPHERS. HOW DID YOU SCREW THIS UP?

A minnesota kid and a ndsu guy that would bring more eyeballs & attention to the gophers.

Also. screw Nebraska. Argh!!!!!

Unfortunately, not unexpected. I don't know what the money situation was but I do think Hoiberg may have outworked Ben here.

Don’t think work had anything to do with Better facilities and the city of Minneapolis isn’t a selling point anymore.

Don’t think work had anything to do with Better facilities and the city of Minneapolis isn’t a selling point anymore.
Dang.I Just talked to ndsu player that spoke to Morgs over weekend
. He wanted Minnesota but the city itself was an issue whereas Lincoln along with Hoiberg just felt a better fit

Wasn't sold on him from get-go. Think we can do better and bigger than 6'9" center in Big Ten. Morgan seemed to me like another Philip Rebraca. Nice role player. MN undoubtedly got outbid $NIL with Berkshire Hathaway money. There are a lot of quality big men in portal, and my hopes are we can land a Big Ten-ready guy to compliment Garcia/Hawkins/Christie/Mitchell. Its clear in watching the portal entries flowing in that it has nothing to do with the success of the team, coach, playing time, or geography. Kids want money, have agents and if a situation is similar and they can bank dollars, they will move.

Example is Pharrel Payne (South Carolina IGs this weekend) He was getting all the PT he could handle in a major power conference, had good, skilled teammates, belief from his coach, and was looking to be an increased factor with the team next season.

Isn’t that Payne’s height?
Yes, but Payne has 20lbs minimum on Morgan, has a lower center, has better hops, and occupies more space. I too was hoping he wouldn't dash for the cash, but that's our world. Ideally, get a physical 6'10"/260lb+ dude to shoot, rebound, and occupy space in the paint. Don't care if he can step out, but that's a bonus.

Some kids, and some kid’s parents, simply do not want to be in a big city. They want to be in a college town. I’ve gone through this with my own kids and grandkids looking at colleges (not D1 athletes). Many kids prefer the college town vibe. Some who didn’t grow up in the city are intimidated by it. BUT, all that being said, there are many factors that go into a recruits decision and a transfer decision. Location is only one of many factors.

Expected playing time, fit with existing players, fit with coach, proximity to family/fiends, NIL, potential TV exposure, history of program including likelihood of N.C.A.A. appearance, etc. Kids want to play and they want to win. Saying that a coach got “outworked” because a recruit or transfer decided to go elsewhere is nonsense (unless you have direct knowledge that it is factually true).

Top Bottom