Former Waseca HS and NDSU 6-foot-10 big Andrew Morgan will visit the Gophers on Thursday

His other offers were from Appalachian State and from IOWA. He was in Class of 2021 and played with Malik Gillingham (Class of 2019) and his younger brother Kyreese Willingham (same Class of 2021).

Malik and Kyreese are current key players on Mankato D2 Elite 8 entrant.

Malik might have been great player at UM. Andrew would have been a good role player for UM.

That is a lot of basketball firepower at Waseca High School. Little known fact - Gene Glynn (also Class of 66) the former Twins baseball player, was Minnesdota's first Mr. Basketball, he was also from Waseca.
Yes indeed. Manny Beckman was a great HS head coach. Geno was the state's first Mr. Basketball. He was actually Twin's triple A manager. Great guy. Steve Cunningham also played with Glynn at Waseca and got a scholly to play FB at the U. Both very good three sport athletes. Losts of multi-sport talent from that city.

Andrew! Welcome to campus!

Here is the athletes village and look here is one of your future teammates Josh……

Uh, well here is one Pharr….. well, umm, wait, here is Braede….

Well I guess we can show you how many available minutes are waiting for you! We like to play our guys for nearly the entire game!

How about we pitch our head coaching position to ABC as a reality show!

They pick some lucky Gopher fan to coach the team for a year and provide him several million dollars in NIL to recruit his/her team. The university hired the assistant coaches to actually coach and ABC puts “The Coach” in designer suits to make it appealing to the masses.

Mix it with the Bachelor and have him have dates after each game.

Hopefully they win a Natty and he proposes at center court!

Player NIL for adds promoting the show start at $150-300k.

Brilliant!

Well I guess we can show you how many available minutes are waiting for you! We like to play our guys for nearly the entire game!

Good point! Hope our top players don't demand to be paid by the minute.

His other offers were from Appalachian State and from IOWA. He was in Class of 2021 and played with Malik Gillingham (Class of 2019) and his younger brother Kyreese Willingham (same Class of 2021).

Malik might have been great player at UM. Andrew would have been a good role player for UM.

That is a lot of basketball firepower at Waseca High School. Little known fact - Gene Glynn (also Class of 66) the former Twins baseball player, was Minnesdota's first Mr. Basketball, he was also from Waseca.
Old District 4 in Old Region 1 had a pretty solid basketball reputation. I played (not much) for a team in the old Hiawatha Valley League in the one-class era and it was rare--Kenyon in the early-1970s as the best example--for one of the smaller schools to get past Faribault, Northfield, Owatonna, or Waseca. Waseca had some great teams in that era, but never got to state. They had a guy around 6-6 named Howard Deichen (sp?) who was good. I can't remember if Jack Gray (another guy around 6-6) played for Waseca or Owatonna, but he was very good as well. One of the best to come out of the district was Owatonna's Dan Halversen, who I believe graduated in 1968 or 1969 and went on to play at St. Olaf. He was phenomenal.

Old District 4 in Old Region 1 had a pretty solid basketball reputation. I played (not much) for a team in the old Hiawatha Valley League in the one-class era and it was rare--Kenyon in the early-1970s as the best example--for one of the smaller schools to get past Faribault, Northfield, Owatonna, or Waseca. Waseca had some great teams in that era, but never got to state. They had a guy around 6-6 named Howard Deichen (sp?) who was good. I can't remember if Jack Gray (another guy around 6-6) played for Waseca or Owatonna, but he was very good as well. One of the best to come out of the district was Owatonna's Dan Halversen, who I believe graduated in 1968 or 1969 and went on to play at St. Olaf. He was phenomenal.
Kenyon has had some good teams over the years.

The 2020 state tournament was wiped out by COVID and Waseca was primed for a title run. I played in that conference and Waseca has always been a basketball and baseball town. Football was terrible until the last 15 years.

Probably has been mentioned, does Morgan have one year left to play?
Played a bunch this year and the two prior years. No covid years. No mention of injuries. I don't possibly see how he could have more than one year left.

Grant Nelson is way better than Morgan. Although I do think Morgan could be a decent pickup for a bench role.
The two of them couldn't be more different. I remember watching Grant Nelson 3 years ago when he was a freshman at NDSU warm up against UST (NDSU's first game at UST)...you could immediately see he had NBA potential. Near 7-footer, fluid, can handle the ball and shoot...Morgan is not that. Morgan is not a stiff (mobility-wise), but I wouldn't say that he is mobile. I've seen him play 3 times in person (at UST) and numerous times on television...the size of the B10 will be a struggle for him as he didn't dominate in the Summit...and in the Summit...he is a big boy, with some skills (those guys should dominate *he didn't). In saying that, I think he could be a much better option that Jack Wilson, and would most likely be a 7.5 point guy, 4 rebound guy... he's not coming in to get double digits. (he is a better non-P5 player *nothing wrong with that*) - but if you compare him to what we had on the roster last year...he would be better than Ihnen (by miles) and JoJ at the 4/5.

Grant Nelson is way better than Morgan. Although I do think Morgan could be a decent pickup for a bench role.
unless they find a high end 5 in the portal (unlikely) Morgan wouldn’t have a “bench role” he’d be starting.

He can spread the floor tho. So having 2 guys that are 6’10 that can shoot would be interesting. A starting line up of Hawkins, Mitchell, Christie, Garcia and Morgan gives them a 3 point threat at every position.

Kenyon has had some good teams over the years.
They dominated the HVL for about a decade from the mid-1960s to the mid-1970s. Had a state tournament team in 1970. Odd thing was they beat a generational Red Wing team to go to the state tournament that year. Their team was mostly juniors that year and they were considered the big favorite to go back to the tourney again in 1971, but they lost to Red Wing in the Region 1 finals that year. I knew a lot of the Kenyon guys and they were/are great guys on and off the court.

Well so far he hasn't committed after the visit here? Must be still talking with other programs too and maybe wasn't as impressed. Maybe CBJ is waiting for others. Going to be interesting to see who coach gets as his first commitment.

Well so far he hasn't committed after the visit here? Must be still talking with other programs too and maybe wasn't as impressed. Maybe CBJ is waiting for others. Going to be interesting to see who coach gets as his first commitment.
I hope CBJ is not waiting - This guy is at a level where if you can get an immediate commitment, you take it.

I'm not saying he's great, but he's needed and will be part of the rotation no doubt.

unless they find a high end 5 in the portal (unlikely) Morgan wouldn’t have a “bench role” he’d be starting.

He can spread the floor tho. So having 2 guys that are 6’10 that can shoot would be interesting. A starting line up of Hawkins, Mitchell, Christie, Garcia and Morgan gives them a 3 point threat at every position.

Agreed. I think the key is to find another big man who can supplement his minutes and contribute something worthwhile in that time.

I hope CBJ is not waiting - This guy is at a level where if you can get an immediate commitment, you take it.

I can't imagine that he would hesitate to offer under those conditions. This is CBJ's 4th time around the CBB transfer portal so I think he should have a good sense of when someone is "gettable."

Well so far he hasn't committed after the visit here? Must be still talking with other programs too and maybe wasn't as impressed.

I think the facilities here are impressive and the evidence seems to indicate that Ben does pretty well on a personal recruiting level. Unless Morgan is dead set on returning closer to home and/or determined to finish this as quickly as possible, I think he surely would be talking to other programs.

I think the facilities here are impressive and the evidence seems to indicate that Ben does pretty well on a personal recruiting level. Unless Morgan is dead set on returning closer to home and/or determined to finish this as quickly as possible, I think he surely would be talking to other programs.
I’m trying to recall if we ever get commits when they wait. It seems as though if they come here, they make their decisions quickly. No news is typically bad news.

I’m trying to recall if we ever get commits when they wait. It seems as though if they come here, they make their decisions quickly. No news is typically bad news.

I think that's mostly true but it's a fairly small sample size so I wouldn't rule out a person committing after a bit of time passes. This is also pretty early in the recruiting cycle so there may be a little less urgency right now.

I would hope that WE would wait unless they position it with Morgan that he is depth and he signs up for that.

I would hope that WE would wait unless they position it with Morgan that he is depth and he signs up for that.
Agree in principle. It just hasn’t worked well for us in the past.

He averaged just over 20 minutes per game and shot a pretty low percentage for a post player in that league. I think he’s a nice potential depth piece, but definitely not someone we’d rely on for significant minutes to replace Payne.

Last edited:

Top Bottom