Former Waseca HS and NDSU 6-foot-10 big Andrew Morgan will visit the Gophers on Thursday

This is likely buried in a thread, but with recruiting news happening so quickly right now for Gophers, lets start new threads for big news like this:

Go Gophers!!
What type of Forward is he?

His other offers were from Appalachian State and from IOWA. He was in Class of 2021 and played with Malik Gillingham (Class of 2019) and his younger brother Kyreese Willingham (same Class of 2021).

Malik and Kyreese are current key players on Mankato D2 Elite 8 entrant.

Malik might have been great player at UM. Andrew would have been a good role player for UM.

That is a lot of basketball firepower at Waseca High School. Little known fact - Gene Glynn (also Class of 66) the former Twins baseball player, was Minnesdota's first Mr. Basketball, he was also from Waseca.

Morgan also was teammates with St. Thomas guard Ryan Dufault. I think Waseca won a state championship their senior year?

His other offers were from Appalachian State and from IOWA. He was in Class of 2021 and played with Malik Gillingham (Class of 2019) and his younger brother Kyreese Willingham (same Class of 2021).

Malik might have been great player at UM. Andrew would have been a good role player for UM.

That is a lot of basketball firepower at Waseca High School. Little known fact - Gene Glynn (also Class of 66) the former Twins baseball player, was Minnesdota's first Mr. Basketball, he was also from Waseca.
They should try and get Malik Gillingham to transfer to U, offer him too.

Another little known fact. While the other schools in the then South Central were getting transfer students who played the concertina, or were a whiz at math and science, Waseca was getting Australians and New Zealanders who could jump over the rim! I was at a game one night when the, I think New Zealand exchange student, went for about 30 pts and and 30 REBOUNDS! 30! It was unreal. The opposing center didn’t even jump for the opening tip, he just stood and watched. And the exchange student wasn’t like 7’, maybe 6’7”?

The next morning sitting next to our high school coach at a youth game, I asked him why we didn’t get exchange students like that? His quote, “Did you ever see a f#@*ing German who could jump”?

Another little known fact. While the other schools in the then South Central were getting transfer students who played the concertina, or were a whiz at math and science, Waseca was getting Australians and New Zealanders who could jump over the rim! I was at a game one night when the, I think New Zealand exchange student, went for about 30 pts and and 30 REBOUNDS! 30! It was unreal. The opposing center didn’t even jump for the opening tip, he just stood and watched. And the exchange student wasn’t like 7’, maybe 6’7”?

The next morning sitting next to our high school coach at a youth game, I asked him why we didn’t get exchange students like that? His quote, “Did you ever see a f#@*ing German who could jump”?
I was in high school at St. Peter when Tony Rampton came to Waseca from New Zealand. We didn't see that many 6'11" guys in our conference at that time (New Ulm had a 6'6" guy, Luke Schmidt if I remember correctly, which is about the only other guy who came close). Rampton graduated in 1995 when I was a junior. We made it to state that year, and I don't think they did. That was back when it was the one class model. We got run out of the gym by New London Spicer in our opening game.

Offer the concertina player a scholarship. One can never have too much polka music!

I was in high school at St. Peter when Tony Rampton came to Waseca from New Zealand. We didn't see that many 6'11" guys in our conference at that time (New Ulm had a 6'6" guy, Luke Schmidt if I remember correctly, which is about the only other guy who came close). Rampton graduated in 1995 when I was a junior. We made it to state that year, and I don't think they did. That was back when it was the one class model. We got run out of the gym by New London Spicer in our opening game.
I didn’t know that Waseca was still importing them in the 90’s yet? I can’t remember Waseca coaches name in the early 80’s but I think his kid or kids played for him? Monte?

I didn’t know that Waseca was still importing them in the 90’s yet? I can’t remember Waseca coaches name in the early 80’s but I think his kid or kids played for him? Monte?
I can barely remember our coaches name, let alone coaches from other teams!

(JK, our coach was Howard Strey)

Rampton went on to play at Iowa St. and had a pretty good career overseas IIRC.

Is class of 66 a club of some kind? Gene Glynn is not quite THAT old.

Look no further than as to why he chose NDSU over Iowa and you’ll know why I have no interest.

How’s his defense? Can he defend Big ten bigs?
This would be the concern as our backup big IMHO. His advanced stats suggest he's not very good defensively (this year he had a career worst Defensive Box Score Plus Minus at -2.4) and the biggest red flag is he's not a rim protector at all. Morgan had a total of 8 blocks in 32 games this season, and 10 last year in 30 games. From what I've heard from people who watch him play, he needs to be better on the boards too (stats don't look terrible there- 5 per game in about 23 minutes).

I watched two short videos on him on YouTube for the portal, and he did have a couple drop steps in to dunks that looked more explosive than you would imagine from him. He'd give us a bigger body than Fox gave us and an actual post offense presence off the bench. On the downside, I don't think he's likely to give us the the energy/hustle plays that Parker gave us. Realizing we're not going to get the perfect prospect to come in off the bench for a year, I'd rather add someone whose strengths are on the defensive end of the floor but that's just personal preference. I think he'd be a fine add from a talent perspective.

He often played at 50% effort in high school, made some questionable decisions at times. Does have a soft touch for a big and a pretty good shooter. Need him to play with that killer instinct 100% of the time, not just here and there. If he comes here, Ben will have no problem keeping him on the bench if the effort isn't there. If the effort is, he should get at least 15 minutes a night at a minimum.

Top Bottom