Former Players Planning Picket over Selection Process for New Coach

Sid Hartman

Banned
Reaction score
From Shooter:

A little birdie says more than a few prominent former University of Minnesota football players concerned about the selection process for a new coach are considering picketing the nationally televised Gophers-Ohio State game Oct. 30 at TCF Bank Stadium unless they become satisfied with the process.

Great. Maybe we can send them over to France and they can help out there.

I swear, there's an open can of paint next to Shooter's desk when he writes.

There won't be any picketing , but there is alot of inside pressure.. They were good enough to fund raise for the stadium, and feel they should have a say in the coach choice. There is more knowledge there than there is in the Adm. and the whole U.

Therse are probably Trestman guys. Let them picket, but keep them out of the process. All the best candidates are far from the U: Harbaugh, Petersen, Patterson, Leach, Bellotti.

Does this mean they are pro Trestman or anti Trestman?

What else would they be upset about, does anyone know?

We are screwed if Al Franken, Thomas Friedman and the Coen Brothers join in the picketing.

We are screwed if Al Franken, Thomas Friedman and the Coen Brothers join in the picketing.

And Mark Rosen.

Speaking of Rosen, a couple of days ago on KFAN he said he called Trestman and left a message seeking comment about the Gophers coaching position but had not gotten a call back.

Has anyone heard if Rosen got a call back from Trestman yet and what was said?

Hopefully a snowstorm knocked out the power lines to Trestman's phone. I think the Weather Gods owe us one for John Wooden.

If they are picketing to get Trestman hired. I will suddenly wish we were back in the 1920s where the police would just line up and shoot protesters.

If they are picketing to get Trestman hired. I will suddenly wish we were back in the 1920s where the police would just line up and shoot protesters.

Let the Pinkertons take care of them. That picket line will end real quick.

Kuato...is your picture from Tim and Eric?

Why does everyone think they are a pro-Trestman crowd?

Why does everyone think they are a pro-Trestman crowd?

I believe it is because there are apparently (according to some media outlets) substantial groups of fans and alumni who are big pro-Trestman guys. The pro-Trestman guys certainly are not on the message boards, blogs, or are calling in to radio stations.

Ahhh I see.

I always thought the pro-Trestman crowd was like Bigfoot (you hear about it, but there are very few sightings). I thought it was a product of lazy sports writers who are only plugged into the NFL and made an obvious jump (who are coaches that they've heard of who went to the U? Dungy and Trestman). Just like how Dungy's name has been floated around non-stop in a fantasy like fashion, I thought the same idiots who don't realize that isn't happening are creating a false Pro-Trestman push. I could be dead wrong, but I just have a hard time imagining that a ton of alumni, booster and former players would love the idea of Marc Trestman.

He's the easy answer to a naive college football media market who doesn't have the inclination and/or the ability to their homework and come up with a realistic candidate.

There won't be any picketing , but there is alot of inside pressure.. They were good enough to fund raise for the stadium, and feel they should have a say in the coach choice. There is more knowledge there than there is in the Adm. and the whole U.

The athletic department has acknowledged that something like 2200 people donated to the new stadium and they are owed more than Brewster. This made me think, for a decade people on this board were complaining about the dome, but how many actually did something and made a donation to the stadium? There's a nice record on the wall of TCF Stadium so I guess it could be checked (they should have titled the list, people who actually gave a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#). Now we need a better coach. Just more bitching, but I doubt very few people, especially on this board are following it up with cash. Typical Minnesotans.

Why is it OK for must of us here to be Monday Morning QB/Coach/AD and complain about every decision that is made both on and off the field? We (the general Gopher fan population, not calling anybody out in particular) protest by booing our coach, our team, our captains and show our displeasure by not showing up to the game in droves. Why can't the former players who have done more and given more for this football program want to have the same privilege of voicing their concerns? Would you be this upset if was some of your fellow fans picketing?

I, for one, love the fact that former players are getting fired up. Who really knows what coach these people want. It's just nice to see a little passion out of the alumni. I've been critical of this group in the past. We often hear about other schools former players stepping up and I would rarely hear about our former players. :clap:

Why is it OK for must of us here to be Monday Morning QB/Coach/AD and complain about every decision that is made both on and off the field? We (the general Gopher fan population, not calling anybody out in particular) protest by booing our coach, our team, our captains and show our displeasure by not showing up to the game in droves. Why can't the former players who have done more and given more for this football program want to have the same privilege of voicing their concerns? Would you be this upset if was some of your fellow fans picketing?

Because there is a time and a place for everything. A picket line, made up of former players, outside a nationally televised game, for the purpose of protesting something that has not even happened yet is embarrassing.

People expect the message boards to whine. We are anonymous a-holes.

People expect the message boards to whine. We are anonymous a-holes.[/QUOTE said:
I expect every human being has an a-hole. We all have names. Therefore there can be no anonymous a-holes. :cool02:

I, for one, love the fact that former players are getting fired up. Who really knows what coach these people want. It's just nice to see a little passion out of the alumni. I've been critical of this group in the past. We often hear about other schools former players stepping up and I would rarely hear about our former players. :clap:

Coach Brewster did us all a favor by repeatedly saying that the Gophers can compete and used terms like Rose Bowl and Big Ten Championships. He kept beating the drum and also spread the word across the state. A 180 from what we heard from Mason. Add in his recent dismissal and the Gopher football search is now on the radar screen for many people. Like I posted a couple of days ago. I discussions with many people, men and women, young and old, about the status of the program prior to his dismissal at a wedding last weekend in the TC. People are interested and tuned in.

Good for the alumni and past players. Let Maturi and Bruininks hear all about it and put the pressure to bring in a name coach. Its about time since Lou Holtz.

Ahhh I see.

I always thought the pro-Trestman crowd was like Bigfoot (you hear about it, but there are very few sightings). I thought it was a product of lazy sports writers who are only plugged into the NFL and made an obvious jump (who are coaches that they've heard of who went to the U? Dungy and Trestman). Just like how Dungy's name has been floated around non-stop in a fantasy like fashion, I thought the same idiots who don't realize that isn't happening are creating a false Pro-Trestman push. I could be dead wrong, but I just have a hard time imagining that a ton of alumni, booster and former players would love the idea of Marc Trestman.

He's the easy answer to a naive college football media market who doesn't have the inclination and/or the ability to their homework and come up with a realistic candidate.

I like your analogy about Bigfoot. I think it is accurate that there are only a small amount of people that are interested in MT. However, that includes a few media guys so it gets attention. Of course this could have nothing to do with MT.

Idiot players are the reason we ended up with Gutekunst. Idiot players are why Michigan State ended up with Bobby Williams after Saban. Moral of the story: Idiot players should open their wallets and then shut the hell up.

And Mark Rosen.

Speaking of Rosen, a couple of days ago on KFAN he said he called Trestman and left a message seeking comment about the Gophers coaching position but had not gotten a call back.

Has anyone heard if Rosen got a call back from Trestman yet and what was said?

Trestman was quoted as saying "Who are you??? Stop calling me!!!"

I'm against anybody that protests for a candidate that no other University is willing to consider for their head coaching vacancy.

I'm against anybody that protests for a candidate that no other University is willing to consider for their head coaching vacancy.

Quite true,we've done that before haven't we.

Oh, and are we to assume that a lot of these players will be wearing their Rose Bowl rings?

Jack Brewer's top 3
1. Scott Linehan
2. David Gibbs
3. Glen Mason

Top Bottom