Former KU coach Mark Mangino on Gopher sideline

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Does anyone know why he was on our sideline today during the game? I know a lot of fired coaches like to take their year off and visit other schools, talk to coaching staffs, learn systems, etc. so I guess he could have been doing that.

I'm curious if they said anything on the TV or radio broadcast about his visit.

Go Gophers!!

I did not hear them mention Mangino being there on ESPN.

In all seriousness, Zach Johnson from Rivals said he was there in the capacity as a consultant. Sounded like it was in talks and not a done deal.

Brewster asked for his help to knock some sense into the players. /sarcasm

I hope Mangino helps the Gophers this season, but I'm not sure I am in favour of him being the next football coach.

Maybe Wolf Chilli brought Mangino in

As a spokesman for it's chilli telling everyone it is actually good. Anyone else take the sample of Wolf Chilli. I wished I had not, that was not good chilli must be a Big 10 network thing.

do we really want a guy with his background representing our great university.

I saw someone on Twitter post a picture of the large man on the Gophers sideline.

Is he still 600 pounds? I was surprised that he didn't die on the field of a heart attack at Kansas.

Very, very interesting. Could someone post a pic of him on our sideline?

He was hard to miss. I was on the opposite side, he's big. Looked like he had a black sweatsuit on.

For some reason I am very intrigued by this. Is it as simple as an unemployed coaching consulting? That makes no sense to me whatever. Or does it? Is there any precedent for this kind of thing?

probably not as interesting as Gene Keady being an Executive Assistant at St Johns for Steve Lavin...

probably not as interesting as Gene Keady being an Executive Assistant at St Johns for Steve Lavin...

Lavin was also an assistant under Keady for a few years at Purdue before he went to UCLA.

This thread provides a perfect excuse to post my favorite Mark Mangino picture.
Mangino_and_Orange_Bowl_mascot.jpg

Is he still 600 pounds? I was surprised that he didn't die on the field of a heart attack at Kansas.

You thought that too, eh? lol

I'm surprised to hear about this.. I'll be honest.. 4 years of Brew, and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Mangino coach the Gophs.

Mangino is a P.O.S. and exactly what this program doesn't need. I'd much rather have a decent human being like Brewster. I'm disappointed that the program is considering working with this guy.

I would hate to hire Mangino, the guy has a laundry list of run ins and won less than 40% of his Big 12 games. I don't think you gamble on this kind of guy unless his resume is more stacked than that.

The only redeeming quality about Mangino is you wouldn't change offensive philosophy year over year.

Other than that, Mangino just continues the spinning of the Gophers wheels, although with him in the car it'll probably be easier to get stuck in the mud.

Mangino

For what it's worth, I stood next to Mangino at the Victory Walk. (knew it was him right away, and btw - he's very tan right now, - he must be enjoying his vacation). Anyway, I think his wife was there and they were with some other gopher coaches wives at the victory walk. Maturi came-up to us and some coaches wives introduced them to Mangino. Maturi clearly didn't seem to know Mangino was going to be there. Does Mangino have a coaching connection with some of our Gopher assistants?

For what it's worth, I stood next to Mangino at the Victory Walk. (knew it was him right away, and btw - he's very tan right now, - he must be enjoying his vacation). Anyway, I think his wife was there and they were with some other gopher coaches wives at the victory walk. Maturi came-up to us and some coaches wives introduced them to Mangino. Maturi clearly didn't seem to know Mangino was going to be there. Does Mangino have a coaching connection with some of our Gopher assistants?

Not sure about assistants, but he and Brewster are friends. Brew actually spent some vacation time in Florida with Mangino this year. Mangino was probably there as a friend to offer advice to Brewster and not in any official capacity.

This thread provides a perfect excuse to post my favorite Mark Mangino picture.
Mangino_and_Orange_Bowl_mascot.jpg

Who could blame that orange for looking a little nervous? Snack time!

The orange is lucky that there was a swimming pool full of chocolate for Mangino to dip him in.

Saw him there

I saw him there. He was right in front of us. I pointed him out to folks but most didn't know who he was.

Reminds me of the funniest T-Shirt worn by a KU fan at the Insight bowl 2 years ago.

"Our coach can eat your coach".

Reusse just said Brew and Mangino are good friends and so are their wifes.

Top Bottom