Former Gophers great and Minnesota fan favorite Flip Saunders passed away today

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Holy cats, what a tribute! I had to close the door of my office and pull myself back together after reading that. That's the kind of thing that sticks in your mind and gets re-read at least a few times.

The way Izzo remembers Flip is the way a person wants to be remembered. It reminds me of a quote I read in a magazine article I read recently - an excerpt from a book about the intelligence and personality of animals. The quote was from a Yellowstone NP employee who's been following the park's population of wolves since they were introduced in the late 70's. He talks about one alpha male in particular - the perfect alpha male in this guy's view. He said this wolf sounds like a fictional character, but he was real. What made this animal extraordinary was not just his strength and leadership but his advanced traits of mercy and kindness, and he cited examples that were really something. He said, "Everyone is impressed with strength, but what you remember is kindness." Good words to live by. I'll always remember Flip as a kind and humble person, especially now after reading Izzo's statement.

Powerful column from Barreiro:

That is the one saving grace on this sad day. Until his body would no longer let him, his sleeves were rolled up doing what he loved to do, what he was made to do. A lot of those late-night phone calls involved his vision of what the franchise, which he loved, in this town, which he adored and never really left, could become. It was a vision that, over time, was forced to change due to complications and on one memorable lottery night, even good fortune.

Good fortune. The very expression sounds absurd today.

I had to tell my five-year-old girl that Flip died today. She asked, “Why?” I said he was just too sick and needed peace. And she said as earnestly as you might expect a 5-year-old: “I wish Flip would come back to life.”

I hugged her, then found the last text I sent to Flip, unanswered, from Oct. 1, when I had heard already that there just was very little hope. I didn’t know if he would ever read it, but I knew I had to send it: “Wherever you are, I’m with you tonight. More than ever.”

http://www.kfan.com/onair/dan-barreiro-11904/an-ode-to-the-funkadelic-14064944/

Go Gophers!!

Powerful column from Barreiro:

That is the one saving grace on this sad day. Until his body would no longer let him, his sleeves were rolled up doing what he loved to do, what he was made to do. A lot of those late-night phone calls involved his vision of what the franchise, which he loved, in this town, which he adored and never really left, could become. It was a vision that, over time, was forced to change due to complications and on one memorable lottery night, even good fortune.

Good fortune. The very expression sounds absurd today.

I had to tell my five-year-old girl that Flip died today. She asked, “Why?” I said he was just too sick and needed peace. And she said as earnestly as you might expect a 5-year-old: “I wish Flip would come back to life.”

I hugged her, then found the last text I sent to Flip, unanswered, from Oct. 1, when I had heard already that there just was very little hope. I didn’t know if he would ever read it, but I knew I had to send it: “Wherever you are, I’m with you tonight. More than ever.”

http://www.kfan.com/onair/dan-barreiro-11904/an-ode-to-the-funkadelic-14064944/

Go Gophers!!
By far the best representation of Flip that I have read since his passing. The story of him stopping to win the big stuffed animal at the free throw booth for Barreiro's daughter was priceless.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Tubby Smith said his prayers go out to the family of late Timberwolves coach and director of basketball operations Flip Saunders, who died Sunday after a battle of Hodgkin's lymphoma. Smith and Saunders met through former Tulsa coach J.D. Barnett, who had Saunders on his staff in college.

Smith played for Barnett at High Point College in North Carolina and later coached the Golden Hurricane. Saunders' son, Ryan, was a graduate assistant under Smith at Minnesota.

Smith and Saunders had many lengthy chats about basketball after practices during the year off Saunders took after he was fired by the Detroit Pistons in 2008.

"Flip was a great man and just a great basketball mind," Smith said. "He loved basketball. I don't think I've met a coach or person who was more consumed with his craft of coaching and teaching like Flip."

http://www.twincities.com/timberwol...-tubby-smith-understands-jerry-kills-decision

Go Gophers!!

Some great stories on Flip in this Q&A by Newsweek:

But at this point you had not met Flip. How did that come about?
Flip was an outstanding, albeit undersized, shooter. Being an undersized basketball junkie myself, I idolized him. He got a free agent tryout with his hometown Cleveland Cavaliers, and he used to like to tell people that he was the last guy that [Cavs coach] Bill Fitch cut.

I grew up in Bloomington, [Minnesota,] and I was the kind of kid who dribbled a basketball to and from school. One day, it must have been in the summer between seventh and eighth grade, I’m riding my bike along 98½ Street, and I happen by this house and there’s a guy out front washing his car. I do a double-take. Wait a minute, that’s Flip Saunders!

So you approached him?
No. You have to remember, we idolized him. Flip had just gotten the head coaching job at a local junior college, Golden Valley Lutheran College. That’s why I figured it might have been him. But I wasn’t sure.

So my best friend, Steve Rushin [now a senior writer at Sports Illustrated, who has written a very funny version of this event] hatched a plan. Steve ran up to his mailbox and went through his mail to look for the name on the address. The only problem was that Steve looked at the return address and it said ‘Joe Lipschitz’ or something like that. Steve ran back to me and said, ‘You’re crazy. That’s not him.’” But I knew that it was.

There was a light pole out in front of Flip’s house. So we made an ‘X’ on it with black tape about 10 feet up, where a basket would be. And we just kept shooting at our homemade ‘basket’ for hours on end. Finally, Flip’s wife, Debbie, must have realized that we were trying to smoke him out. “Flip,” she said, “I think these two boys know who you are.”

And from there?
It was such a different time. Flip invited me to go shoot baskets with him at a local playground and of course my parents and I thought nothing of it that I’d be getting in a car with an adult they’d never met. I had my boom box and Flip liked that I had my Earth, Wind & Fire cassette ready to go.

But we also both were basketball junkies. He saw that in me right away, and he was incredibly accommodating to both me and Steve. We’d play basketball in his backyard. We even created a two-on-two tournament.

In our senior year of high school, Steve and I started on a team that advanced to the state semi-finals. There we were playing in the same arena where Flip had played in college and he was in the stands watching us. Flip wrote me a note after that to tell me how proud of me he was. I still have that note.

http://www.newsweek.com/remembering-timberwolves-coach-flip-saunders-388388

Go Gophers!!

Watching the pre-game for Flip before the Wolves game right now. Damn, it's touching.

Watching the pre-game for Flip before the Wolves game right now. Damn, it's touching.

I have it on as well, I can't remember something like this immediately before the game. In some ways it seems like a funeral to me. I can't imagine being Kevin Garnett or Sam Mitchell or one of the other guys that has been close to Flip for over a decade and attempting to perform their job immediately after that.

Such a sad situation and my thoughts are still with Flip's loved ones.

I didn't know Flip personally, but like many big MN bball sports fans, I felt like I did. Almost teared up watching that. We lost a good one.

Top Bottom