Former Gopher Great…Babe Ruth??

Anyone know the context of the picture?

only a guess, but back in that era, a lot of players would do "barnstorming" tours in the off-season - going around to different towns, playing exhibition games and making personal appearances to pick up some extra money.

so my guess is that Ruth was doing some kind of appearance in MN and someone came up with the idea of having him suit up for that photo. from all accounts, he was the kind of guy who would say "yes" to just about anything if he thought it sounded like fun.

Isn’t there some sort of lodge the babe was involved with on the north shore? If I remember right it he agreed to invest money in it towards the end of his life. I’m not sure he was ever there.

Somebody wrote an article on this photo a few years ago: The players in the photo (from left to right); George Gibson, Harold Hanson, The Babe, Neil Hyde, and Kenneth Haycraft.

Isn’t there some sort of lodge the babe was involved with on the north shore? If I remember right it he agreed to invest money in it towards the end of his life. I’m not sure he was ever there.
The lodge is Naniboujou. This place is interesting, we have checked out the Lodge 2 times over the years.

Top Bottom