Former Gopher coach Dan Monson fired by Long Beach State

Time for a Steve Fisher run if they let him coach in the Big West Tournament. Do they do that sort of thing?

The Beach was 10-5 and fighting for the #1 or 2 seed in the Big West but then dropped their last 5 games to finish 10-10 in Conference (T5).

18-14 overall including wins against P5s, DePaul, Michigan & USC (Bronny James debut).

Monson walked into a tough situation at MN, taking over in the wake of the academic fraud situation and inheriting a program facing sanctions and recruiting restrictions:
  • Four years of probation until October 23, 2004;
  • A reduction of five scholarships in total until the 2003–04 season;
  • A reduction of six paid visits by recruits until the 2002–03 season;
still managed to qualify for 1 NCAA tournament and 4 trips to the NIT.

Monson walked into a tough situation at MN, taking over in the wake of the academic fraud situation and inheriting a program facing sanctions and recruiting restrictions:
And there are still fans who believe Ben had a more difficult situation. 🙄

Hired there in 2007 and now 62 years old. I'd take a long tenure at that place/climate/etc. Will be interesting to see if he even tries to land somewhere else. Not a bad spot to hang it up.
Was thinking the same thing. Make a great living in an excellent climate and retire young. The American dream.

Was close a few years ago and did just enough to keep going
We're you at the 7th Place Game at the Anaheim Convention Center when he knocked off UCLA with Long Beach (same Tournament we saw the Gophers beat Butler but then lose to Portland)?

I know I just caught the 2nd half.

I was happy for Monson. I thought Ben Howland was in deep trouble, though he (& Tubby) made it to 2013.

We're you at the 7th Place Game at the Anaheim Convention Center when he knocked off UCLA with Long Beach (same Tournament we saw the Gophers beat Butler but then lose to Portland)?

I know I just caught the 2nd half.

I was happy for Monson. I thought Ben Howland was in deep trouble, though he (& Tubby) made it to 2013.
I was there. Great tournament and a place I get to about every other Thanksgiving. I think they still do a version of it but it’s mostly at Irvine rather than Anaheim and fewer high end teams.

Curious about what Monson will do. I don’t think he has the charisma to do TV but he still has to have some juice left if he wants to try one more time.

I was there. Great tournament and a place I get to about every other Thanksgiving. I think they still do a version of it but it’s mostly at Irvine rather than Anaheim and fewer high end teams.

Curious about what Monson will do. I don’t think he has the charisma to do TV but he still has to have some juice left if he wants to try one more time.
I was there to see the Gophers lose to Portland. Earlier that day, D. Joseph and Andre Hollins reportedly got into some kind of "disagreement" at either Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm. Both missed minutes as a disciplinary measure and the Gopher sleep-walked to a loss against a WCC doormat.

I was there to see the Gophers lose to Portland. Earlier that day, D. Joseph and Andre Hollins reportedly got into some kind of "disagreement" at either Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm. Both missed minutes as a disciplinary measure and the Gopher sleep-walked to a loss against a WCC doormat.
Right after beating 10th ranked Butler. Keeping those guys on the bench did show Tubby’s character. I think we lost to Texas A&M as well that weekend.

It sold me on getting to preseason tournaments if you can. Good ball in court side seats and easy interaction with players and coaches.

There was an incident but I think you have the wrong players and game. Anaheim Tournament was in 2009, 2 years before Andre Hollins arrival.

I think the incident was between Al Nolen & Lawrence Westbrook, and they were held on the bench for the entire 1st Half of the 3rd Place game on that Sunday against Texas A&M. Lost by 1 pt.

They lost to Portland at full strength (I think).

There was an incident but I think you have the wrong players and game. Anaheim Tournament was in 2009, 2 years before Andre Hollins arrival.

I think the incident was between Al Nolen & Lawrence Westbrook, and they were held on the bench for the entire 1st Half of the 3rd Place game on that Sunday against Texas A&M. Lost by 1 pt.

They lost to Portland at full strength (I think).
Thank you for correcting me but I am sure there was some disappointing bench time that contributed to an uninspired performance vs. the lowly Pilots.

record
Why fire him now? Has to be more to the story...new AD, something?
One of his best years in the last 10.

Thank you for correcting me but I am sure there was some disappointing bench time that contributed to an uninspired performance vs. the lowly Pilots.
Here's the Box Score. Nothing seems out of the of the ordinary. Joseph didn't start, but at least played in the 1st Half. Started 19 out of 35 games.

record
Why fire him now? Has to be more to the story...new AD, something?
One of his best years in the last 10.
Article has a direct quote from Monson making it sound as though he's jumping as much as being pushed. Maybe it really is "mutual". Granted, it rarely is that way. 17 seasons, maybe it's just time.

Also explains why he's being allowed to be in charge throughout the Big West Tournament

Article has a direct quote from Monson making it sound as though he's jumping as much as being pushed. Maybe it really is "mutual". Granted, it rarely is that way. 17 seasons, maybe it's just time.

Also explains why he's being allowed to be in charge throughout the Big West Tournament
Rereading the article, also looks like it was the last year of his contract, so not exactly "fired", just not being brought back.

Does not mention he coached the Gophers, only Gonzaga. 🤔

Slighted again.

The self-imposed and NCAA punishment against the basketball team returned 25+ years of mediocrity at best. Many seasons were worse than mediocre. The NCAA penalties extended to the men's football and hockey teams with different penalties for different infractions. The woman's basketball team was also penalized in 2002 for rules violations. Seems the NCAA imposed penalties were not applied equally to other schools with similar infractions. NIL should eliminate the cheating though. LOL

The self-imposed and NCAA punishment against the basketball team returned 25+ years of mediocrity at best. Many seasons were worse than mediocre. The NCAA penalties extended to the men's football and hockey teams with different penalties for different infractions. The woman's basketball team was also penalized in 2002 for rules violations. Seems the NCAA imposed penalties were not applied equally to other schools with similar infractions. NIL should eliminate the cheating though. LOL
It always seemed the NCAA was overly tough on MN. Big name school, without the rabid fan following of NE, IA, WI etc. And not the national exposure of marquee schools. Michael Thompson got the severely punished for selling a couple tickets, while UCLA handed out straight cash homey, and Pitino handed out strippers and hookers! All we could manage was a couple lousy term papers! BTW, I love the term self imposed penalties. If you say you are gonna shoot me, if I don’t hit my thumb with a hammer, did I self impose my thumb?

Considering what Kansas and especially North Carolina have gotten away with over the years, it is absolutely infuriating!

It always seemed the NCAA was overly tough on MN. Big name school, without the rabid fan following of NE, IA, WI etc. And not the national exposure of marquee schools. Michael Thompson got the severely punished for selling a couple tickets, while UCLA handed out straight cash homey, and Pitino handed out strippers and hookers! All we could manage was a couple lousy term papers! BTW, I love the term self imposed penalties. If you say you are gonna shoot me, if I don’t hit my thumb with a hammer, did I self impose my thumb?
In some ways though, the Gopher program found ways to do it to themselves when the issues/scandals occurred. Seemingly never much ability to contain and manage things in-house and get things to quiet down before they blew up.

Top Bottom