For Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck, a contract extension has never been too far away

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

Fifty-one weeks ago, Fleck’s team was 6-2 when he signed a seven-year contract extension through the 2028 season. The deal gave Fleck a raise to $5 million per year and included a buyout of $10 million, if Fleck were to leave before Dec. 31.

But that buyout figure drops to $7 million on Jan. 1 — a time when the coaching carousel might be spinning wildly.

Fleck has repeatedly shared how much he loves it at Minnesota and wants to continue building the program. Meanwhile, he is having a new home built in the Twin Cities suburbs.

Fleck’s contract has six more seasons remaining, but the minimum length of any college coach’s contract is only as viable as a recruit-turned-player can be on campus (typically five years). This means extensions for any successful coach within this timeframe are never too far away.

Go Gophers!!

They’ll keep him in the top half of the big ten with good sized buyouts and keep everyone satisfied

Coaches agents having everyone thinking coaches need at least five to six years on their contracts for recruiting purposes. Not the case any more with new transfer rules.

I have a little concern that he might leave after this season because the 2023 schedule is quite difficult and there are a lot of players departing at the end of 2022. 2023 could be a step back that won't be the coaches fault.

I think if Athan finishes the year strong it will go a long way to mitigate this feeling, if he has it.

He also has to be offered another job that's "better" than Minnesota, which is far from certain.

I think if he's still our coach at the start of 2023 he's going to be our coach for a long time.

I have a little concern that he might leave after this season because the 2023 schedule is quite difficult and there are a lot of players departing at the end of 2022. 2023 could be a step back that won't be the coaches fault.

I think if Athan finishes the year strong it will go a long way to mitigate this feeling, if he has it.

He also has to be offered another job that's "better" than Minnesota, which is far from certain.

I think if he's still our coach at the start of 2023 he's going to be our coach for a long time.
I just wonder what jobs he’d even be offered at this point? I think we overestimate how much other teams are drooling over him. Maybe there is someone out there but he’s a pretty dynamic personality and for a lot of established programs it could be viewed as a challenge. Plus outside of 2019 there hasn’t been any great seasons. A couple good ones for sure but nothing special

If he left after this year MN would be in its best position to hire a new coach since we poached Wes Fesler

When was the last time Floyd and the The Axe were in the Trophy Case for a full year me wonders?

Outside of the insane long contracts, most CFB contracts seem to be incremental extensions every couple or even every year.

Top Bottom