For Dupree McBrayer and Jordan Murphy, college journey is nearing its conclusion

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

In the second half of the Gophers’ victory over Nebraska in early December, Dupree McBrayer nailed a key three-pointer and pointed to the sky. That motion said, This one’s for you, Mom.

After the game, McBrayer was consoled by coaches and players on both teams. A towel rested on his head, draped over his teary-eyed face. As his body shook with grief, the voice of his teammate Jordan Murphy whispering in his ear was the loudest.

“Murph is like, ‘I got you, brother, I got you, brother,’ ” said McBrayer, who played that game less than 48 hours after his mother, Tayra McFarlane, died of cancer. “Hearing that — it was just like, this is my brother — I just broke down and started crying, and I said. ‘I love you, bro.’ ”

Murphy was the pride of Brennan High School in San Antonio. McBrayer was a southpaw guard from Queens who bounced to prep schools to escape the rough neighborhoods where his single mom raised him.

The two senior captains have backgrounds and paths to Minnesota that could not be more different, but they formed a strong bond during their four years with the Gophers, who play host to No. 11 Purdue for Senior Night on Tuesday.

“We’re the last two from our recruiting class here,” Murphy said. “From my perspective, it’s huge for me because I know him and I’m really close to him. I’ve seen him through some hard times.”

http://www.startribune.com/senior-n...or-gophers-seniors-murphy-mcbrayer/506688562/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom