FootballScoop: Colorado and Mike Bellotti have talked

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Two updates on Colorado today:

The latest:

"Colorado: We are hearing that Colorado defensive quality control Bert Watts has been promoted to full-time status for the remainder of the season. Also, our sources tell us Mike Bellotti has indeed talked with Colorado officials."

and earlier:

"Colorado: Our sources tell us that Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter will be a candidate for the Colorado head coaching job. We continue to hear former Oregon head coach Mike Bellotti will be in the mix."

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Go Gophers!!

I believe that Bellotti, with his previous Pac 10 experience, is a better fit at Colorado than Minnesota, so it makes sense that he would be in the mix.

Does anyone think Dirk Koetter is a candidate for the gophers job? You never know.

How have they contacted them already?

That seems veeeeerrrrrryyyyyy quick. Not saying they won't contact him sooner or later.

That seems veeeeerrrrrryyyyyy quick. Not saying they won't contact him sooner or later.

Minnesota should be so quick on its feet! With our "committee" approach, it will take us another month just to set the rules of what the charter of the committee should read. God help us now.

I am just outside Portland and this evening there was a quick blurb on the tube that Belotti confirmed he has had initial discussions with the Buffs.

I am just outside Portland and this evening there was a quick blurb on the tube that Belotti confirmed he has had initial discussions with the Buffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if these "initial discussions" had taken place prior to Hawkins walking the plank.

It's going to look bad if Bellotti takes this job within the next week while we're still stacking up resumes. That doesn't mean it will end up being bad for us, but it sure is going to look like we're getting all hung up on process.

This would lead me to believe our primary target is someone currently coaching.

It's going to look bad if Bellotti takes this job within the next week while we're still stacking up resumes. That doesn't mean it will end up being bad for us, but it sure is going to look like we're getting all hung up on process.

This would lead me to believe our primary target is someone currently coaching.

If you ask me, if they hire Bellotti right away that to me says they did not do their homework.

This decision shouldn't be made within a week of the firing.

If you ask me, if they hire Bellotti right away that to me says they did not do their homework.

You do realize Hawkins was a dead man walking since last year. I am sure they have been doing their due diligence on candidates for quite a while now.

that depends on the coach. if we could have hired harbaugh within one week of firing brewster id be all for it. even bellotti for that matter.

I would have been happy with hiring Bellotti 2 weeks ago. This is why. We may still get a great candidate, but dithering Joel and his merry search committee give me little confidence.

I bet Colorado

names a new coach before MN.

MACturi seems more interested in being interviewed by the media than actually interviewing potential candidates for our opening.

We can not

announce our new coach until TCU's season is over :cool:

Bellotti makes more sense at Colorado with his ties to the Pac-10, but I don't know that I would call rushing into a hire a great call.

He has a great track record and would be a big hire for the Buffaloes or the Gophers prestige-wise, but one has to wonder how much he has left in the tank and what the succession plan is for when he leaves in a couple of years.

Bellotti makes more sense at Colorado with his ties to the Pac-10, but I don't know that I would call rushing into a hire a great call.

He has a great track record and would be a big hire for the Buffaloes or the Gophers prestige-wise, but one has to wonder how much he has left in the tank and what the succession plan is for when he leaves in a couple of years.

I don't want them to rush into anything, but Bellotti is a pretty safe hire. He's 60, not 70. He'd stay 5-7 years minimum. Concerns about his age are over-blown, IMO. To sit back and let Colorado pick him off would be disappointing. Especially if we end up with Randy Edsall or worse Marc Trestman.

^Agreed. Edsall/Trestman would be quite a loss compared to Bellotti.

I don't disagree to some extent, but we've had a month.

If that means we've zeroed in on an active coach, that's fine. I'm just saying it looks like we are twiddling our thumbs.

Top Bottom