Football vs Basketball Schedule

dingo

Reaction score
Who would of thought when Brewster and Tubby where hired two years ago we would be sitting here listening that the FOOTBALL team has scheduled TOP teams in the nation for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile the basketball team still doesn't have a true consistent national contender on its non conference schedule. (Dont count Anaheim, because they could lose to Butler and play nobodies)

This happening when its easier to schedule non conference games in basketball because of more games. (12 versus 4) and that in my opinion the basketball team is in better overall shape in terms of national reputation and talent level.

Dont get me wrong, I love that Brew added Navy and Texas to go along with UNC and USC. Come on Tubby dont let Brew one up you, follow his lead! :)

Who would of thought when Brewster and Tubby where hired two years ago we would be sitting here listening that the FOOTBALL team has scheduled TOP teams in the nation for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile the basketball team still doesn't have a true consistent national contender on its non conference schedule. (Dont count Anaheim, because they could lose to Butler and play nobodies)

This happening when its easier to schedule non conference games in basketball because of more games. (12 versus 4) and that in my opinion the basketball team is in better overall shape in terms of national reputation and talent level.

Dont get me wrong, I love that Brew added Navy and Texas to go along with UNC and USC. Come on Tubby dont let Brew one up you, follow his lead! :)

Butler IS a national contender in 2010 - rated #7 and #12 by Lindy's and Athlon preseason magazines.

And IF the Gophers L to Butler, it does not necessarily mean their other 2 Anaheim opponents will be "nobodies" either.

And Tubby didnt schedule Butler... The Anaheim classic did. We simply accepted the invitation to play in the tourney.

And Tubby didnt schedule Butler... The Anaheim classic did. We simply accepted the invitation to play in the tourney.

There are several Top 25 (preseason) teams playing in Anaheim, not just Butler.

There are several Top 25 (preseason) teams playing in Anaheim, not just Butler.

Get off Tubby's nuts.

The basketball schedule is awful. Atrocious. An embarrassment.

This is the one area where the football program has dominated the basketball program.

Kudos to Brew & Maturi for stepping up to the plate by scheduling home-and-homes with BCS opponents. It's the #1 thing I like about Brew since he's arrived. Now we need to see the same kind of progress on the basketball schedule. Most fans aren't stupid. You can't get away with scheduling an exempt tourney every year + 1 ACC game and expect people to do cartwheels.

FOT - you won't be paying for a NC season that is uninspiring. $30 a ticket is a big price to pay for trust in Tubby. We all love Tubby but we have been suffering for a long time here.

I think a lot of the blame should be placed on the NCAA for allowing so many colleges into Division 1 for basketball. It is well over 300 now and roughly 200 of them have no chance of ever winning the championship. Trim that number to 150 and we would see a dramatic change in the quality of schedules for every "true major".

FOT - you won't be paying for a NC season that is uninspiring. $30 a ticket is a big price to pay for trust in Tubby. We all love Tubby but we have been suffering for a long time here.

Per www.kenpom.com here are the SOS for last 5 years, both OOC and overall.

2009 - OOC 140, overall 36

2008 - OOC 283, overall 63 (possibly set up by prior staff)

2007 - OOC 210, overall 40

2006 - OOC 239, overall 51

2005 - OOC not available, overall 155

The trend appears favorable in 2009 compared to prior 4 years.

Geez, do we really have to do this again.

FOT, the biggest gripe is the HOME n-c schedule. Season ticket holders deserve better.

I could drag out the stats again, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Per www.kenpom.com here are the SOS for last 5 years, both OOC and overall.

2009 - OOC 140, overall 36

2008 - OOC 283, overall 63 (possibly set up by prior staff)

2007 - OOC 210, overall 40

2006 - OOC 239, overall 51

2005 - OOC not available, overall 155

The trend appears favorable in 2009 compared to prior 4 years.

So you've gone from "this is a good OOC sched" to "the trend is favorable"??? OOC of 140 is NOT a good/strong OOC sched. And as everyone has noted the home OOC is even worse.

Geez, do we really have to do this again.

FOT, the biggest gripe is the HOME n-c schedule. Season ticket holders deserve better.

I could drag out the stats again, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Home OOC opponents = 3 "good" opponents, 5 "cupcake" opponents.

Just like (I'm sure) other Gopher home OOC opponents in the past 5 years.

The Gophers haven't played tough OOC opponents at home since the 1990's.

So you've gone from "this is a good OOC sched" to "the trend is favorable"??? OOC of 140 is NOT a good/strong OOC sched. And as everyone has noted the home OOC is even worse.

NCAA or NIT bids are based on overall SOS, certainly not SOS of home OOC opponents.

Home OOC opponents = 3 "good" opponents, 5 "cupcake" opponents.

Just like (I'm sure) other Gopher home OOC opponents in the past 5 years.

The Gophers haven't played tough OOC opponents at home since the 1990's.

FoT - I think you are making their point...the home OOC has sucked since the Clemgate and it would be great if Tubby and Maturi understood that and worked harder at getting teams like Kansas, Georgia, UCLA, Marquette, St. Jos or any of about 60 teams that would be worth wathching and would with a home and home give us games in markets we would like to recruit.

FOT...give it up.. You either don't understand what we are talking about or don't care because your pro Tubby agenda has a chance to be shoe horned into the thread. The home schedule is what matters in these discussions. Unlike you..there are a lot of big time donors that attend home games and throw money at the program. If Tubby wants his practice facility (which I support completely) it might interest him to schedule some better home games to keep the natives from getting restless.

If all we cared about was watching a good teams compete on TV and not in person, we could all become Duke fans.

FoT - I think you are making their point...the home OOC has sucked since the Clemgate and it would be great if Tubby and Maturi understood that and worked harder at getting teams like Kansas, Georgia, UCLA, Marquette, St. Jos or any of about 60 teams that would be worth wathching and would with a home and home give us games in markets we would like to recruit.

St Joseph's is a home opponent on this year's schedule.

FOT...give it up.. You either don't understand what we are talking about or don't care because your pro Tubby agenda has a chance to be shoe horned into the thread. The home schedule is what matters in these discussions. Unlike you..there are a lot of big time donors that attend home games and throw money at the program. If Tubby wants his practice facility (which I support completely) it might interest him to schedule some better home games to keep the natives from getting restless.

If all we cared about was watching a good teams compete on TV and not in person, we could all become Duke fans.

I do understand - the Gophers OOC home schedule has sucked since the 1990's. It's a little better this year than the majority of the past 10 years. Looking at the facts of the prior 5 years, that is.

Big name opponents may not see a benefit to them from playing Gophers in The Barn. But Kansas is being negotiated for home & home in 2011-2012-etc.

I do understand - the Gophers OOC home schedule has sucked since the 1990's. It's a little better this year than the majority of the past 10 years. Looking at the facts of the prior 5 years, that is.

Big name opponents may not see a benefit to them from playing Gophers in The Barn. But Kansas is being negotiated for home & home in 2011-2012-etc.

The problem may be that FoT is looking at this logically, and we the fans that have paid for the program and lived through the highs and the very low lows are frustrated with the slow pace of progress. Logic verus emotion is never a winning proposition.

The problem may be that FoT is looking at this logically, and we the fans that have paid for the program and lived through the highs and the very low lows are frustrated with the slow pace of progress. Logic verus emotion is never a winning proposition.

Bob Huggins' UC Bearcats (one of Top 20 teams of the 90's) played home-&-home with Gophers. Just AN example but teams like that will be willing to play the Gophers H&H.

1. Again, the stats on Tubby's home non-conference schedules at Minnesota:

Three seasons.
25 non-conference games.
One BCS conference opponents
Zero BCS conference opponents scheduled by choice.
Zero at-large NCAA tournament qualifiers from the previous season.

And FOT, I don't agree at all that the home non-conference schedules have sucked since the 90s. One area in which I have to give Monson credit is in scheduling home-and-homes with a pretty large number of BCS conference teams.

The list includes: Iowa State, Arizona State, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Georgia, Oregon. While not BCS teams at the time, Monson also had home and homes with Marquette (when the Golden Eagles were in CUSA), UNLV and UAB. That doesn't include ACC/Big Ten Challenge home games.

I don't think Gophers fans are unreasonable in their schedule hopes and expectations. But they also are smart enough to know what is garbage.

2. And while you, FOT, say that Cincinnati (who Clem played several times) would play the Gophers home-and-home, who is to say that Tubby is willing to play a game like that? He certainly hasn't shown the desire to play anybody of note at home during his three schedules at Minnesota.

3. FOT, you guaranteed earlier during last season that the home schedule would be more of our liking. It clearly isn't.

4. And there aren't three "good" games on this schedule. I think the St. Joe's game can be labeled as "good," and that is it. You're going to claim Morgan State and Stephen F. Austin as "good", but one must consider additions and losses to the equation and the losses are very, very significant in both cases.

anonymous,

You should know better than to listen to his guarantees. He knows nothing more than the average fan in terms of "insider" information. All he does is post ridiculous statistics and such that are usually quite irrelevant.

There are zero good games on the home non-conference schedule. It's a joke when you have to call St. Joe's your best game. That's a team we should easily beat by double digits if we are at all for real.

1. Again, the stats on Tubby's home non-conference schedules at Minnesota:

Three seasons.
25 non-conference games.

And FOT, I don't agree at all that the home non-conference schedules have sucked since the 90s. One area in which I have to give Monson credit is in scheduling home-and-homes with a pretty large number of BCS conference teams.

The list includes: Iowa State, Arizona State, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Georgia, Oregon. While not BCS teams at the time, Monson also had home and homes with Marquette (when the Golden Eagles were in CUSA), UNLV and UAB. That doesn't include ACC/Big Ten Challenge home games.

I don't think Gophers fans are unreasonable in their schedule hopes and expectations. But they also are smart enough to know what is garbage.

2. And while you, FOT, say that Cincinnati (who Clem played several times) would play the Gophers home-and-home, who is to say that Tubby is willing to play a game like that? He certainly hasn't shown the desire to play anybody of note at home during his three schedules at Minnesota.

3. FOT, you guaranteed earlier during last season that the home schedule would be more of our liking. It clearly isn't.

4. And there aren't three "good" games on this schedule. I think the St. Joe's game can be labeled as "good," and that is it. You're going to claim Morgan State and Stephen F. Austin as "good", but one must consider additions and losses to the equation and the losses are very, very significant in both cases.

First, the 2008 schedule was likely pretty well set before Tubby arrived. Not 100% but mostly.

If you look back at factual schedules for the rest of the 2000's, Monson did nothing of the sort. His schedules were weaker, if anything.

I didn't say UC would play the Gophers. I said TEAMS LIKE THAT. Read and comprehend.

Morgan State is preseason favorite in its conference and SFA is a contender in its league. 3 good opponents, 5 cupcake opponents, 1 good ACC road game, and 3 good games in Anaheim = OOC.

I never GUARANTEED anything like that.

Hire Monson back if you want.

anonymous,

You should know better than to listen to his guarantees. He knows nothing more than the average fan in terms of "insider" information. All he does is post ridiculous statistics and such that are usually quite irrelevant.

There are zero good games on the home non-conference schedule. It's a joke when you have to call St. Joe's your best game. That's a team we should easily beat by double digits if we are at all for real.

Certainly St Joe's, SFA, and Morgan St are good opponents. I'd expect Gophers to sweep home OOC games.

I guaranteed nothing like that. Pure BS on his part.

Gophers BCS Home Opponents Since 1999-2000

1999-00 (1) -- Virginia
2000-01 (2) -- Georgia, Nebraska
2001-02 (2) -- Nebraska, Oregon
2002-03 (3) -- Georgia, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech
2003-04 (1) -- Nebraska
2004-05 (1) -- Florida State
2005-06 (0)
2006-07 (3) -- Arizona State, Clemson, Iowa State

Average of 1.625 BCS home opponents per season. Two years with 3, two years with 2, one year with 0.

2007-08 (0)
2008-09 (1) -- Virginia
2009-10 (0)

Average of .333 BCS home opponents per season. No years with more than 1, two years with 0.

"Hire Monson back if you want."

BNOT, you know darn well that's not the argument we're making. But nice deflection, though.

FOT,

On a thread entitled "Oh great, Esposito says now teams don't want to play @ The Barn," I mentioned that a lot of people would like to see the home schedule improved and that I didn't think Tubby would do it.

Your response: "It will. I talked to JE both on Saturday and Sunday about that topic. Next year's schedule is set and it will be much more to your liking."

You can see the thread here: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=2053

And guess what? It isn't to my liking. I understand that scheduling is a challenge. I know that the Gophers need to play a pretty significant number of home games because of budgetary reasons. And I like the St. Joe game. But when you're hanging your hat on potential contenders from the Southland and MEAC, that is pretty weak. The Southland was the No. 19 rated conference in the country last year in the RPI and the MEAC was 30th (second to last).

Also, your crack about Monson's schedules being weaker is just wrong. Here are the annual SOS's for the Gophers under Monson (starting with 1999-2000) according to Jerry Palm's site: 31, 50, 61, 66, 98, 47, 18 and 40. For Tubby: 113, 35.

Again:
Three seasons.
25 non-conference games.

That isn't good enough.

1999-00 (1) -- Virginia
2000-01 (2) -- Georgia, Nebraska
2001-02 (2) -- Nebraska, Oregon
2002-03 (3) -- Georgia, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech
2003-04 (1) -- Nebraska
2004-05 (1) -- Florida State
2005-06 (0)
2006-07 (3) -- Arizona State, Clemson, Iowa State

Average of 1.625 BCS home opponents per season. Two years with 3, two years with 2, one year with 0.

2007-08 (0)
2008-09 (1) -- Virginia
2009-10 (0)

Average of .333 BCS home opponents per season. No years with more than 1, two years with 0.

"Hire Monson back if you want."

BNOT, you know darn well that's not the argument we're making. But nice deflection, though.

Are you guys bored? This is a done deal. What is the point of fighting over it? Lets wait and see what happens this season. Tubby always had one of the toughest schedules in the nation at Uk. It is amazing that in 2 years you guys are expecting this much. This a rebuiling process. I will be paying $30 per game also. College basketball is not the same as what it used to be. There are too many issues that none of us know about. Just be patient and take one step at the time. Lets win the big 10 first. Football is very different than basketball. When I was at Purdue, Tiller used to win almost all the preseason games and then choke at big10. To be honest with you I hardly care about preseason. I want us to win the Big10. I want us to go undefeated all the way baby.

"To be honest with you I hardly care about preseason."

Fair enough.

However, there are others like you paying $30 per game who feel quite differently. I think a lot of us would feel much obliged if we were able to get our blood boiling a couple times prior to the start of the Big 10 season. I don't think that's asking a lot considering there are roughly 8-10 nonconference home games every season.

Like Anonymous said, if Morgan State & SFA are two of your "best" 3 home games. ... yikes! There's a reason they've starting offering 3-for-1's with the Michigan State and Wisconsin games. They're worried there are going to be a lot of empty seats for the pre-conference yawners.

Top Bottom