Football/Fútbol Question

I'm not a fan of soccer but I also don't really understand it that much. Never played it when I was young.

While they do have the running clock, I wouldn't say it's constant action either. Lots of dull times where not a whole lot is happening. Just not my thing I guess.

What is your example of not much happening?

That's kind of like saying a QB isn't doing a whole lot until he actually throws the ball. For the first couple seconds that he gets the ball on a play, the QB isn't doing a whole lot.

The nice thing about soccer replay is they go to the video ref to help decide quickly if something needs to be reviewed. If not, they move on. Total delay, maybe 12 seconds unlike 4 minutes for NFL replay.

Hope you caught the second half of Japan-Belgium. What a classic.
I did. It was simply amazing.

For those who did not, search for the highlights. Not like watching it live, but a taste of the game.

Still an American Football partisan, but this other game can be damned entertaining if you give it a chance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I enjoy watching good soccer. Every sport has their issues along with soccer. Yes I don't like flopping in soccer, however basketball is loaded with flopping as well. When you understand the game you have a better appreciation for it. Many people had trouble with hockey, but once they understand off sides, icing etc., those fans have a better appreciation for the game. Football has their issues. Holding on every play it seems like. Three and outs a bunch of times. TV time outs galore along with other issues.

Give soccer a chance, you'll like it.

I enjoy watching good soccer. Every sport has their issues along with soccer. Yes I don't like flopping in soccer, however basketball is loaded with flopping as well. When you understand the game you have a better appreciation for it. Many people had trouble with hockey, but once they understand off sides, icing etc., those fans have a better appreciation for the game. Football has their issues. Holding on every play it seems like. Three and outs a bunch of times. TV time outs galore along with other issues.

Give soccer a chance, you'll like it.

I think it takes some patience to learn the game and what to watch for.
You don't just watch the guy with the ball try to score goals.

Every sport can be appreciated for what it is. Baseball is a game of strategy, skill, and deep statistics for the patient fan. Golf is a ludicrously difficult sport and hence the admiration for the pros. Then there are the absolutely incredible displays of athleticism that seem superhuman - sports like downhill skiing.

I suspect this is a little bit like arguing about music. Everyone has different preferences and that’s ok. Obviously soccer has a huge international following and I’m trying to understand that better. Some matches are probably much, much better than others. Eg apparently the Belgian win today was perhaps the biggest comeback win in almost 50 years. Being down 2-0 is similar to trailing by 28 points in the 4th quarter.

Same goes for football - look at the recent electrifying Rose bowls, vs say, Gopher v Kent State. Can you imagine beinging a football layman to watch that monstrosity?

Every sport can be appreciated for what it is. Baseball is a game of strategy, skill, and deep statistics for the patient fan. Golf is a ludicrously difficult sport and hence the admiration for the pros. Then there are the absolutely incredible displays of athleticism that seem superhuman - sports like downhill skiing.

I suspect this is a little bit like arguing about music. Everyone has different preferences and that’s ok. Obviously soccer has a huge international following and I’m trying to understand that better. Some matches are probably much, much better than others. Eg apparently the Belgian win today was perhaps the biggest comeback win in almost 50 years. Being down 2-0 is similar to trailing by 28 points in the 4th quarter.

Same goes for football - look at the recent electrifying Rose bowls, vs say, Gopher v Kent State. Can you imagine beinging a football layman to watch that monstrosity?

The Kent State debacle. jerrysota

"Then there are the absolutely incredible displays of athleticism that seem superhuman - sports like High Hurdles."

FIFY ;)

Top Bottom