Florida Hates Fun - Bill introduced to keep fans off field

It won't stop the field storming as it would be next to impossible to enforce something like this on the whole group in those situations but where something like this could help is if there is an incident during a field storming where some fan goes after a player or coach from the other team.

With DeSantis as governor and a Republican majority in the legislature, this is one of the more benign pieces of legislation to come out of FL.

It won't stop the field storming as it would be next to impossible to enforce something like this on the whole group in those situations but where something like this could help is if there is an incident during a field storming where some fan goes after a player or coach from the other team.
I feel like if there is an incident ... then you deal with that incident, that person.

Some dude punches someone, go after them. If you can't go after them for punching someone ... well maybe that means you really couldn't prove they did the thing ...

Meanwhile this legislation just seeks to punish everyone, not just that dude, and possibly a lot of people and still NOT that dude. It's stupid / bad policy.

DeSantis drives government overreach - defining appropriate behavior, discussion and thought in his image

With DeSantis as governor and a Republican majority in the legislature, this is one of the more benign pieces of legislation to come out of FL.
Did it "come out"? But you are right, a bill that penalizes throwing a substance, bottles, and sharp objects at players, coaches, or officials is really dumb.

DeSantis drives government overreach - defining appropriate behavior, discussion and thought in his image
I would have made a lot of money on the Gophers and Illinois this past autumn, but he's got very specific definitions of "freedom". As you pointed out, he's as "nanny state" as any governor, just on different things.

I agree with the penalization of throwing stuff at officials, players, or on the field of play. Already a crime. Like throwing batteries at players or bottles at refs or dildos at Tom Brady. All illegal.

I agree with the penalty for rushing the field during the game itself. Once again, already a crime. Go streaking, go to jail.

It's dumb to create a new crime for rushing the field/court after the game has ended.

I would have made a lot of money on the Gophers and Illinois this past autumn, but he's got very specific definitions of "freedom". As you pointed out, he's as "nanny state" as any governor, just on different things.

I agree with the penalization of throwing stuff at officials, players, or on the field of play. Already a crime. Like throwing batteries at players or bottles at refs or dildos at Tom Brady. All illegal.

I agree with the penalty for rushing the field during the game itself. Once again, already a crime. Go streaking, go to jail.

It's dumb to create a new crime for rushing the field/court after the game has ended.
Your last sentence is correct and I would doubt if that part survives anything that gets passed. In fact, I doubt any of it gets passed.

The reason is you see this and will see more is that there have been some close calls and we will eventually have an ugly situation between fan and player following a game. Will it stop stop field storming? Nope, but will provide legal protection for schools, stadiums and players in case of an altercation.

Sorry for the interruption, now we can return to braying Minnesota liberal political talk.

The reason is you see this and will see more is that there have been some close calls and we will eventually have an ugly situation between fan and player following a game. Will it stop stop field storming? Nope, but will provide legal protection for schools, stadiums and players in case of an altercation.

Sorry for the interruption, now we can return to braying Minnesota liberal political talk.
It provides a way to prosecute people who just went on the field…. not that did anything ugly.

That Alabama player seemed to punch fans on a couple occasions, deal with that guy, not everyone doing a thing and behaving.

It provides a way to prosecute people who just went on the field…. not that did anything ugly.

That Alabama player seemed to punch fans on a couple occasions, deal with that guy, not everyone doing a thing and behaving.

The point is to deter future incidents between fan and player. I guess I don't see what is wrong with that.

The point is to deter future incidents between fan and player. I guess I don't see what is wrong with that.
So “deter” people who do bad things, I already mentioned one, nothing happened to him …. don’t criminalize everyone doing something harmless .

Yeah, that is clearly the goal of this legislation - to after people who run into the field or throw things at the players.

Top Bottom