Flip wants the job! Per Flips Funkadlic on KFAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovethebarn

Reaction score
Flip's Friday Funkadelic

Check it out the podcast today. Very interesting conversation.

I just heard Flip on KFAN. Reading between the lines, he would take the Gopher job.....I say, lets bring him on!

Listen to the PODCAST when it is up....

Doogie also made reference to it on 1500ESPN in his scoops segment.....

I think we should be very encouraged that this new AD is not going to stand for mediocrity...

Norwood knows basketball! It is time to allow him to hire his own coach!!

Paraphrasing, Flip said he will be coaching again in his career and he wouldn't answer Dan's question on whether it would be pro or college.

Flip didn't say anything that he would or would not be interested in coaching the Gophers. He has said the same thing over and over again through out the years nothing new.

Flip didn't say anything that he would or would not be interested in coaching the Gophers. He has said the same thing over and over again through out the years nothing new.

I would disagree Johnnyboy18. He did not try very hard to deny interest, and I would say he didn't at all.

I just heard Flip on KFAN. Reading between the lines, he would take the Gopher job.....I say, lets bring him on!

Listen to the PODCAST when it is up....

Doogie also made reference to it on 1500ESPN in his scoops segment.....

I think we should be very encouraged that this new AD is not going to stand for mediocrity...

Norwood knows basketball! It is time to allow him to hire his own coach!!

Ya, I get all of my accurate information by taking something someone said and "read between the lines".

Well, from m2s other thread on this, his accurate post comes from "reading between the lines".

Flip Saunders can want any job he desires. Problem is it takes 2 to tango and the job has to be offered to him.

I never understood Gopher fans infatuation with Saunders. He's an alum that has coached in the NBA but that doesn't necessarily translate to success at the college level.

We can talk all we want about Flip, but my money still says Teague and Ellis bring in their own guy, and I don't mean Shaka. My bet is they'll hire an up and comer most of us have never even thought of yet.

Umm, Flip coached in college, too. He went 92-13 in 4 seasons. Was perfect at home, 56-0.

4 years only?! HA, how many years has SHAKA SMART been a head coach in cbb?!

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Flip coached in the CBA for 2 different teams and won CBA COY at each gig I believe, and a CBA Title at each team as well.

Flip coached in the NBA for 2 different teams and did very well at both.

So at least 5 different teams, at 3 different levels of bb, and successful at every team and level.

Flip is a very recognizable name. Kind of believe that he'd have possibly the best chance of pulling down the Big 3.

Umm, Flip coached in college, too. He went 92-13 in 4 seasons. Was perfect at home, 56-0.

Flip coached in the CBA for 2 different teams and won CBA COY at each gig I believe, and a CBA Title at each team as well.

So at least 5 different teams, at 3 different levels of bb, and successful at every team and level.

Flip is a very recognizable name. Kind of believe that he'd have possibly the best chance of pulling down the Big 3.

I agree with you here. While I would RATHER have Shaka or Brad Stevens, we could get Flip Saunders right now for not a ton of money and he would be a great coach, and I believe a great recruiter of in state talent.

We can talk all we want about Flip, but my money still says Teague and Ellis bring in their own guy, and I don't mean Shaka. My bet is they'll hire an up and comer most of us have never even thought of yet.

Anything is possible at this point.

Factors:

Who will come here that they are confident will turn it?
How much does it cost?
Can they land the big locals (2 of 3)?
Does Tubby recover and keep the gig?
What do the boosters want and who could pump up the fundraising?
How cheap would Flip work?

I agree with you here. While I would RATHER have Shaka or Brad Stevens, we could get Flip Saunders right now for not a ton of money and he would be a great coach, and I believe a great recruiter of in state talent.

There is something to be said for having a guy that played here and has bled maroon and gold for close to 40 years. It's a darn nice story to tell recruits - along with the idea that he knows what it takes to play at the level all of the good ones want to get to.

And Flip might be willing to bring in some really hot young assistant coach that could be groomed to take over for him when the time was right.

We'd get the immediate impact of a high profile name coach, and it would be a less risky way of getting a young guy in here. Instead of hiring the same young guy to be the head coach right away and recruits not knowing who he is.

Was the only thing I didn't like about the Kill hire. As successful as he was to that point in his career, he was still kind of an unknown.

And Flip might be willing to bring in some really hot young assistant coach that could be groomed to take over for him when the time was right.

We'd get the immediate impact of a high profile name coach, and it would be a less risky way of getting a young guy in here. Instead of hiring the same young guy to be the head coach right away and recruits not knowing who he is.

Was the only thing I didn't like about the Kill hire. As successful as he was to that point in his career, he was still kind of an unknown.

Tubby hasn't even been fired yet. Gosh, cant you let him run the rest of the season against this amazing big 10 competition and see if he turns it around? I mean gosh, our RPI is very respectable, and almost ever game we've lost thus far we should have lost.

I mean come on

Just amazing

I mean wow.

I need to keep the tilt off of the tubby bashers.

Go Gophers!

Similar to the facilities situation...you don't just plop a building on a vacant lot without a larger strategic plan for how it all fits together. A Flip hire would be a short or medium term proposition due to his age. Meanwhile, Norwood and Co. would definitely be oriented more toward a young, up-and-coming guy who could stay for the long haul. So hiring Flip would need to fit into some sort of strategy. I love Saunders, but his chance of getting hired here would have been a lot higher under the previous administration.

You're really considering Golden Valley Lutheran College has legitimate college coaching experience? JuCo college experience doesn't cross over to the B1G, especially without a transition between the two. Furthermore, that was 30+ years ago. Flip had moments in the NBA but a lot of it had to do with Kevin Garnett and Larry Brown winning the NBA finals and losing in the NBA finals during the two previous years before Flip's tenure at Detroit. You criticized Shaka for going to the Final 4 with Anthony Grant's players. With that logic, Flip's success is because of Larry Brown's previous success and "his" players, not because of Flip's coaching.

If the problem we have right now is a coach who doesn't understand the college game utilizing a valuable assistant position to give his son a six figure job, we clearly need a coach who doesn't understand the college game who wants to utilize a valuable assistant position to give his son a six figure job.

Who knows what Teague will do. However, Teague seems to be all about fund raising. Ask yourself if hiring Flip Saunders would bring in people willing to donate to the University of MN and build a practice facility. Yes, Teague wants a winning program, but can he win and raise funds with Tubby still in play or with a young unknown brought in? What gives him the biggest bang for the buck?

How does anyone know that Saunders would be a "great" recruiter? Because people want him to be? He has never had to recruit on any kind of level (unless GV Luth college counts 30 years ago) so I am not sure why people think he is the obvious answer...

Winasota Gopher --

Kinda funny man, but not the best impression I've ever seen of me. lol

But point taken. I think my jumping into the discussion despite my views about letting Tubby finish the season first, had mostly to do with sticking up for Flip, who I cheer for as a former Gopher.

Bruce --

Yeah, I knew there was a third gig for him in the NBA, and that it didn't last long. But 5 out of 6 still isn't bad.

Savagerube --

First of all, gotta say, don't diss one of my alma mater's sister schools. lol But yeah, it wasn't exactly a Big Ten coaching gig. But he still succeeded at 3 different levels of basketball. And I paid very close attention to him while he was coaching the T-Pups and the job he did of coaching the T-Wolves was underrated. So often coaches get credit taken from them because of a good player, and sometimes its the other way around. But its harder for a bad coach to win with ONE good player, than for a good coach to fail with marginal players. A good coach gets the best out of his players. One player teams rarely get anywhere, especially with a bad coach.

And as for my criticizing Shaka? I didn't criticize him as much as I just said, its too early to know one way or the other, he's only been a head coach for less than 4 years and this year could end up being viewed as a flop.

With Flip, he had already coached several teams when he got to Detroit. And a lot of people didn't think he got a fair shake with Detroit, and yes, I know, some people think it was all his fault that they didn't win a title.

Point being, he's the opposite of an unknown. He's got nothing to prove so he could come in truly just to help out, and so could be willing to come in for a shorter than normal period just to transition in a young assistant, grooming them to take over in a few years. And he would probably be VERY good for fund raising and getting like tinyarch said, the most bang for our buck!!!

I like Flip, but I'll be very disappointed if he is one of our first choices. I like the idea of offering Dwayne Stephens the job and getting Quincy Lewis as one of the assistants. Wouldn't be surprised if we immediately become the favorite for Reid if that happens.

Winasota Gopher --

Kinda funny man, but not the best impression I've ever seen of me. lol

But point taken. I think my jumping into the discussion despite my views about letting Tubby finish the season first, had mostly to do with sticking up for Flip, who I cheer for as a former Gopher.

Bruce --

Yeah, I knew there was a third gig for him in the NBA, and that it didn't last long. But 5 out of 6 still isn't bad.

Savagerube --

First of all, gotta say, don't diss one of my alma mater's sister schools. lol But yeah, it wasn't exactly a Big Ten coaching gig. But he still succeeded at 3 different levels of basketball. And I paid very close attention to him while he was coaching the T-Pups and the job he did of coaching the T-Wolves was underrated. So often coaches get credit taken from them because of a good player, and sometimes its the other way around. But its harder for a bad coach to win with ONE good player, than for a good coach to fail with marginal players. A good coach gets the best out of his players. One player teams rarely get anywhere, especially with a bad coach.

And as for my criticizing Shaka? I didn't criticize him as much as I just said, its too early to know one way or the other, he's only been a head coach for less than 4 years and this year could end up being viewed as a flop.

With Flip, he had already coached several teams when he got to Detroit. And a lot of people didn't think he got a fair shake with Detroit, and yes, I know, some people think it was all his fault that they didn't win a title.

Point being, he's the opposite of an unknown. He's got nothing to prove so he could come in truly just to help out, and so could be willing to come in for a shorter than normal period just to transition in a young assistant, grooming them to take over in a few years. And he would probably be VERY good for fund raising and getting like tinyarch said, the most bang for our buck!!!
He's been fired twice dude.

How does anyone know that Saunders would be a "great" recruiter? Because people want him to be? He has never had to recruit on any kind of level (unless GV Luth college counts 30 years ago) so I am not sure why people think he is the obvious answer...

Recruiting is:

How much effort are you willing to put in? Unknown- it sounds like he would be excited about it but we don't know
Can you get people interested in talking to you? Check- kids are going to talk to an ex NBA coach - especially locals who know his history here
How good is your staff and organization? Unknown- depends who he can bring in
Do you have enthusiasm and a story to tell that will convince players you can win. Check - I think he has that.

We figured Monson could recruit because he was young, enthusiastic and competitive. You just never know with an up and comer what they will do with this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom