Fleck: There's a new era of college football, and we've got to continue to find creative ways to gain depth, keep depth, maintain depth, retain depth

as far as the transfer rule - it's really hard to put the genie back in the bottle. free transfers and NIL are are part of the "player's rights" movement. Schools haul in huge amounts of TV money. Coaches get to jump from team to team with no consequences. and players did not share in any of those benefits.

If you think players are going to give back any of their new rights without a court fight, you're dreaming.

Coaches now have to live in a world where players have more rights. and coaches have to evolve.

Here's a wacky analogy - in the world of pro wrestling, you have "jobbers" - 2nd-tier wrestlers who exist so that they can lose to the 'face' or the 'heel' in the weekly shows.

in college FB, teams that cannot or will not compete with the NIL and the Portal are going to become jobbers. so MN can either find a way to compete, or become the football equivalent of Kenny 'Sodbuster' Jay.
I could be wrong but wasn't the free transfer part in some ways connected to Covid? Seems like that could be rolled back fairly easily since it used to be the case that you had to sit out if you wanted to transfer.

Bottom line is that something has to be done to slow this down because it can't keep going the way it is. Will be interesting to see how these next few years evolve in college football.

I'm trying to win Powerball or Mega Millions so I can piss away on NIL.Not a great plan I know but it is a try, a small one. Right now all I can do is buy the Pizza's, Duck beer and such and buy season tickets. Need more ticket buyers and sponsorships and ideas. I liked the raffle idea as Minnesotans do like their share of gambling. Might be hard within existing charitable rules. Got to figure out a way to do it though if Gophers want to compete. It is the newer world of College ball.

I could be wrong but wasn't the free transfer part in some ways connected to Covid? Seems like that could be rolled back fairly easily since it used to be the case that you had to sit out if you wanted to transfer.

Bottom line is that something has to be done to slow this down because it can't keep going the way it is. Will be interesting to see how these next few years evolve in college football.

the one-time 'free' transfer rule was adopted in April of 2021. after doing a little reading, my understanding is that it was done to standardize transfer rules between sports. if there was a covid connection, I'm not seeing it.

previously, athletes in other sports could transfer and be eligible immediately. but that did not include football, basketball, baseball and men's hockey. so the argument was made that it was unfair to allow immediate eligibility in some sports but not allow it in others.

and I think that would be the argument if you tried to roll the rule back - why should a football player or a basketball player have to sit out a year when a softball or volleyball player can transfer and be eligible immediately?

the one-time 'free' transfer rule was adopted in April of 2021. after doing a little reading, my understanding is that it was done to standardize transfer rules between sports. if there was a covid connection, I'm not seeing it.

previously, athletes in other sports could transfer and be eligible immediately. but that did not include football, basketball, baseball and men's hockey. so the argument was made that it was unfair to allow immediate eligibility in some sports but not allow it in others.

and I think that would be the argument if you tried to roll the rule back - why should a football player or a basketball player have to sit out a year when a softball or volleyball player can transfer and be eligible immediately?
Got it.....who knows what the best solution to all this is.....only thing that is clear at this point is that something needs to be done since the current system has made a mess of roster management in college football especially. Not sure it has had same impact in basketball, baseball or hockey.

The roster management piece of college football right now has to keep a lot of coaches up at night. The days of being able to project your roster for more than a year or so out are a thing of the past right now.

Have said before, I could see a lot of older coaches decide to hang it up as opposed to dealing with this constant state of flux and change.
Most of those older coaches have had big salaries and other income opportunities for years. They have enough saved to retire if they choose. And I certainly would.

In the end college sports is entertainment and to have a successful entertainment business, the biggest factor is the fans. And right now it is getting tough to watch. I watched a basketball game in one of the preseason tourneys. Maybe the Myrtle Beach Invitational. And they went through the starting lineups. All 10 were transfers. Hard to get involved when your roster is almost 100% turnover every year.

as far as the transfer rule - it's really hard to put the genie back in the bottle. free transfers and NIL are are part of the "player's rights" movement. Schools haul in huge amounts of TV money. Coaches get to jump from team to team with no consequences. and players did not share in any of those benefits.

If you think players are going to give back any of their new rights without a court fight, you're dreaming.

Coaches now have to live in a world where players have more rights. and coaches have to evolve.

Here's a wacky analogy - in the world of pro wrestling, you have "jobbers" - 2nd-tier wrestlers who exist so that they can lose to the 'face' or the 'heel' in the weekly shows.

in college FB, teams that cannot or will not compete with the NIL and the Portal are going to become jobbers. so MN can either find a way to compete, or become the football equivalent of Kenny 'Sodbuster' Jay.
But didn’t the ”sodbuster“ beat George “Scrap Iron“ Gadaski. So there is a chance.

Damn, not a jobber! It would be sort of cool if we became a "heel" team. The heels always gave the best interviews.

How about teams accepting players through transfer portal lose a half scholarship,. This might bring about some stability.

Top Bottom