Fleck Open to Playing Elite Teams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The nature of big-time college football scheduling is to book opponents 10 years and further into the future. There is nothing in motion right now, but University of Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck is open to scheduling games against the biggest names in the country.

Asked Monday about taking on a prominent team from the Southeastern Conference or Notre Dame, Fleck said: “I think you always want to think that way—some of the best brands in college football. We’d love to have (them) come to Huntington Bank (Stadium) and also go to those places. But those are…decisions as you keep moving forward and seeing what slots are open, and what years are open. But definitely open to that.”

The Gophers are playing nonconference opponents now booked by previous athletic directors and head coaches. The Gopher media guide shows nonconference foes through 2028 with California, Mississippi State and North Carolina having the most box office power. The slate also includes the likes of Eastern Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Louisiana and North Dakota.

Minnesota wraps up its nonconference schedule with Colorado at Huntington Bank Stadium on Saturday. The Buffaloes are the only Power Five team among the three opponents making up the nonconference schedule (all played at home). The Gophers handily defeated FBS lower tier New Mexico State and FCS level Western Illinois.

There is logic to the ho-hum nonconference schedules the Gophers and other Power Five programs have utilized for decades. Part of it is wanting to ensure a fast start to the season, playing opponents the Gophers are usually superior or at least equal to. Minnesota teams often go into the Big Ten schedule 3-0. Fleck’s nonconference record at Minnesota, including bowl games, is 16-1.

Another major element driving Minnesota football scheduling is financial. The athletic department budgets for seven home games. The department wants the revenue from seven games in Minneapolis, not six. With the Big Ten’s unbalanced schedule of nine games for each league team, the Gophers only travel to a nonconference opponent in alternate years when they have five home league games (in 2022 they have four).

Financially important, too, is Minnesota can pay revenue-hungry programs like New Mexico State and Western Illinois modest guarantees compared with what the Gophers would shell out to host powerhouses Alabama, Clemson, Georgia or LSU. Minnesota has never played any of those teams in Minneapolis. Notre Dame was last here in 1937, Texas in 1936.

Go Gophers!!

The real thing of note here is the effort it must have taken to come up with a 7 paragraph story off of a one sentence quote. And ol' Shama talks more about the non-conference teams than the quote does! All PJ says is "yeah we'd do it" (basically) and Shama fills in the rest.

Proof that sports "reporters" aren't really needed in this day and age.

Play them in a championship game. I'm fine with playing nothing but FCS and G5 games the rest of the time. Look how well that has worked for Alabama.

Cosplay Sid with his usual "insight."

I'm fine with playing nothing but FCS and G5 games the rest of the time. Look how well that has worked for Alabama.
You mean like when they took on:
#9 Clemson to open the 2008 regular season
#7 Virginia Tech to open 2009
#18 Penn State in week 2 of 2010
#23 Penn State the next year
#8 Michigan to open 2012
unranked but still P5 Virginia Tech in 2013
P5 West Virginia 2014
#20 WI in 2015
#20 USC in 2016
#3 FSU in 2017, along with P5 teams Fresno State and Colorado State
Louisville 2018
2019 was nobody
2020 was just conf play
#14 Miami last year
Texas this year?

I know the early season rankings don't always reflect reality, but it's pretty obvious Saban has been getting in one decent team every year except 2019. But go with your anti-SEC narrative if you want.

#8 Michigan to open 2012
P5 West Virginia 2014
#20 WI in 2015
#20 USC in 2016
Louisville 2018
2019 was nobody
2020 was just conf play
#14 Miami last year
Texas this year?

I know the early season rankings don't always reflect reality, but it's pretty obvious Saban has been getting in one decent team every year except 2019. But go with your anti-SEC narrative if you want.
They aren't P5, but your point remains. The myth of Alabama playing a weak NC schedule needs to end.

They aren't P5, but your point remains. The myth of Alabama playing a weak NC schedule needs to end.
Agreed. But the SEC plays 8 conference games. So with 1 P5 non-conference game Alabama plays 9 P5 teams. The Gophers will play 10 this year. Just to try to balance this convo a bit.

#8 Michigan to open 2012
P5 West Virginia 2014
#20 WI in 2015
#20 USC in 2016
Louisville 2018
2019 was nobody
2020 was just conf play
#14 Miami last year
Texas this year?

They play one less conference game...so no matter what all B1G teams get 9 P5 games no matter who they schedule no conference. The entire SEC gets the sisters of the poor right before rivalry week as well. Kudos to them for getting a 10 25 match up OOC scheduling 10 years in advance, that's pretty forward thinking. I must have missed something with the Mountain West being a P5 conference.

Kudos to them for getting a 10 25 match up OOC scheduling 10 years in advance, that's pretty forward thinking.
Not sure what you mean by this...? What would you prefer instead, them to check with you every offseason and have you approve their OOC schedule?

Good lord the schedule talk it getting tiring. The only reason it is even getting noticed is because Colorado is such a mess right now. As has been pointed out many times, the schedules are set years in advance so it is not our fault that we caught Colorado in a rut. The important part is we scheduled a power 5 non-conf opponent to go along with two layups.

It just worked out that in 2022 all 3 of those teams are garbage.

The myth of Alabama playing a weak NC schedule needs to end.
Unfortunately the massive amount of SEC-haters on this board won't let that happen. And usually, IMO, the people hating on the SEC tend to know the least about it.

Not sure what you mean by this...? What would you prefer instead, them to check with you every offseason and have you approve their OOC schedule?
No, just that its hard to tell 10 years in advance which teams will be good and which ones will be a dumpster fire like Colorado is these last couple years.

Good lord the schedule talk it getting tiring. The only reason it is even getting noticed is because Colorado is such a mess right now. As has been pointed out many times, the schedules are set years in advance so it is not our fault that we caught Colorado in a rut. The important part is we scheduled a power 5 non-conf opponent to go along with two layups.

It just worked out that in 2022 all 3 of those teams are garbage.
CBS reporter Tom Fornelli does a "Bottom 25" weekly ranking and NMSU and Colorado are 6 and 5 respectively

As has been pointed out many times, the schedules are set years in advance so it is not our fault that we caught Colorado in a rut. The important part is we scheduled a power 5 non-conf opponent to go along with two layups.
Brings an interesting question though, why do they schedule so far in advance? Are teams worried they might miss out and be stuck with some really bad OOC games if they don't? I mean, we're getting that now anyways.

Brings an interesting question though, why do they schedule so far in advance? Are teams worried they might miss out and be stuck with some really bad OOC games if they don't? I mean, we're getting that now anyways.
Because everyone already does?

Late scheduling would seem like a recipe for complications.

Unfortunately the massive amount of SEC-haters on this board won't let that happen. And usually, IMO, the people hating on the SEC tend to know the least about it.
You can call GHers soft, you can call us petty, you can call us homers, but you cannot say we hate the SEC. Gophers beat them like a drum in bowl games.

I think this is only interesting because PJ implies he’d want a home and home. I don’t see notre dame or more SEC schools doing that with Minnesota

At least they know which teams are in P5 conferences 😉

Wanting to play those teams is only half the battle. Most will request a home-home game, and you have to convince them (via money or something else) to agree to play us. Where in that liminal space where a loss to us could have big impacts to a highly ranked team (i.e. we don't land in the "quality loss" category), but we also are not bad enough to qualify as a cupcake game. Some teams may not want to risk us.

Plus, with how far our schedule is planned out, if we schedule a team who has been consistently in the top 25 the past few years, it's still possible they take a turn for the worse and are not a good team by the time we play them.

Probably out of necessity. Two teams have a mutual interest in playing each other, then they have to find an early season weekend that is open for both teams which might require looking out multiple years to find that spot. Once all the teams start doing that it is only natural that scheduling windows are going to get pushed further and further out.

Small schools are going to want to get those dates locked in as early as possible because those early season beat downs are huge money makers for their athletic departments.

You have been kind of hung up on having bad early season games but the reality is you schedule one power 5 and 2 creampuffs, not a tough formula and one that a lot of teams follow.

CBS reporter Tom Fornelli does a "Bottom 25" weekly ranking and NMSU and Colorado are 6 and 5 respectively
We are definitely catching Colorado at a down time in their program. Is what it is though because they are still a power 5 team and there would have been no way of knowing they would be this bad when the game was scheduled. Just the way it worked out.

If Colorado was decent, nobody would bat an eye at our non-conf schedule. It is only getting noticed because Colorado sucks right now so we are heavy favorites in all 3 games as opposed to just 2 of them.

At least they know which teams are in P5 conferences 😉
Lol. I know, I know, I missed with that one. I was more interested in adding Fresno State after FSU because it's a team we have played. Totally whiffed on calling them P5 though, I do know better as I've watch a ton of college ball in me life lol.

Top Bottom