Fleck on KFAN “all that falls on me” in response to Gophers performance.

Wow! that’s a different comment. Let’s see, we have heard that after every loss.

If this is all we get the rest of the year, I will probably begin preparing the Fire PJ Fleck Bandwagon. These players are not understanding him and if it goes like this the rest of the year, then they will be intentionally ignoring him. The boat seems to not being rowed.

"It's all on me" is meaningless without context.

Tell us something specific that you think you did wrong, or should have done differently. Game preparation, schemes, play-calling?

otherwise, it's a way to appear to accept blame without really telling us why he should accept the blame.

He says this same crap after every bad game. But unless he means it by taking the training wheels off the team I don't think I believe him. You have some good tailbacks, throw them the dang football. SECOND, get Brockington on the field more. Third, Let's see something new in designed plays by the offense. Gophers have become to predictable on film. Making it way to easy on opposing defenses. This team really needs to get its confidence back.

Last edited:

"It's all on me" is meaningless without context.

Tell us something specific that you think you did wrong, or should have done differently. Game preparation, schemes, play-calling?

otherwise, it's a way to appear to accept blame without really telling us why he should accept the blame.
Nailed it. So sick of this lame comment.

Maybe he feels 1) that list is too long for a press conference and/or 2) that discussion could get ugly.

Either way, I really don't care what he says. I only care about the results on the field. If we see improvement, I won't hold it against him because he didn't explain his intended remedies to us beforehand. If there is no improvement, then explaining the intended remedies didn't matter anyway.

There is nothing else for him to really say.

A true leader isn't going to directly call out his coaches or players.

Anyone working under PJ, whether player or coach, has a pretty clear message that if things don't improve it's on Fleck to find people who will improve it through coaching or improve it through recruiting, or improve it by playing players who execute better.

Behind the public eye, everyone knows this and PJ has made moves various times when he's had to repeatedly say it's on him to improve it, and he's made changes (most that turned out for the better).

There is nothing else he will say, and you might find that frustrating, but there is no reason for you to get truly frustrated by it until PJ keeps saying it and he doesn't make any changes after a certain amount of patience is practiced.

PJ is not going to call out any player by name for not performing well, and if he did, most people would go after Fleck for doing so. That's not the way he operates. He's not that type of leader. Scott Frost maybe was, but PJ is a servant leader.

Anyone working under PJ, whether player or coach, has a pretty clear message that if things don't improve it's on Fleck to find people who will improve it through coaching or improve it through recruiting, or improve it by playing players who execute better.

Behind the public eye, everyone knows this and PJ has made moves various times when he's had to repeatedly say it's on him to improve it, and he's made changes (most that turned out for the better).

There is nothing else he will say, and you might find that frustrating, but there is no reason for you to get truly frustrated by it until PJ keeps saying it and he doesn't make any changes after a certain amount of patience is practiced.

PJ is not going to call out any player by name for not performing well, and if he did, most people would go after Fleck for doing so. That's not the way he operates. He's not that type of leader. Scott Frost maybe was, but PJ is a servant leader.
I don't think most people are looking for him to throw others under the bus. The concern is that he might not really believe that he isn't performing well right now, and that this is just a sound byte and he won't do anything to change his best between now and the end of the season.

Anyone ever witnessed a train derailment? You are now. The clichés are being repeated now. Its the pepple on the track. I don't ever want to hear the "its on me" BS.

I don't think most people are looking for him to throw others under the bus. The concern is that he might not really believe that he isn't performing well right now, and that this is just a sound byte and he won't do anything to change his best between now and the end of the season.

Well, head coaches are like CEOs. They are praised and rewarded based on organizational performance rather than personal performance. If Fleck doesn't know that his organization isn't performing well right now, then he is either blind or an idiot. I don't think he is either one of those.

My issue isn't with the logic of the statement, my issue is that it feels orchestrated and shallow. It's kind of like the R. Wilson "let's ride" thing. No one cares that he said "let's ride", it's that it is so inorganic, calculated, and automatic that it annoys people.

It's hard to comment on losses but PJ's PJisms are going to grate people when we are losing.

It amazes me how many people seem shocked by the lack of specifics at post game press conference after a loss. This is not unique to Fleck or Minnesota. The whole "it falls on me" can be heard from the head coach of the losing team all over the country in the moments after the game ends.

Is it coach speak....yep.....does he really believe that.....nope.....will the players and coaches hear what he really thinks.....yep....will the fans and media....nope. This really isn't that hard to figure out.

If this is all we get the rest of the year, I will probably begin preparing the Fire PJ Fleck Bandwagon. These players are not understanding him and if it goes like this the rest of the year, then they will be intentionally ignoring him. The boat seems to not being rowed.
Ah yes, lets go back to the pond after finding a coach that figured out a way to win 11 games at Minnesota. Have you been paying any attention to what's going on in the rest of the country?

TAMU spent $100M on a coach and he can't win on a team that pays its players and you want to fire the guy that won 11 games with a tackle that had been playing football for two years.

PJ is scrappy. Dude is out here wearing NIL polos to his press conferences. We're not getting anyone better.

It amazes me how many people seem shocked by the lack of specifics at post game press conference after a loss. This is not unique to Fleck or Minnesota. The whole "it falls on me" can be heard from the head coach of the losing team all over the country in the moments after the game ends.

Is it coach speak....yep.....does he really believe that.....nope.....will the players and coaches hear what he really thinks.....yep....will the fans and media....nope. This really isn't that hard to figure out.
Well people are pretty whiny so it doesn’t surprise me that they’re annoyed

Still a chance to win out.

Check back in December. Or maybe next week. If the team falls apart down the stretch that’s concerning. If they right the ship and compete PJF has already earned a lot of rope. We are not Alabama (or a delusional Wisconsin). Patience is a virtue.

That press conference is jam packed with excuses. Whew...

He’s done it before. Howden comes to mind.

For those in the Fire Fleck crowd, who would you get? The U is too gun shy to hire a coach with any controversy in their past. And if I'm a big time coach, I'm only going to a program that can guarantee big NIL money so I can buy the best possible players. You want to win, someone is going to have to open the pocket book.

then don't say it, if it means nothing.

For those in the Fire Fleck crowd, who would you get? The U is too gun shy to hire a coach with any controversy in their past. And if I'm a big time coach, I'm only going to a program that can guarantee big NIL money so I can buy the best possible players. You want to win, someone is going to have to open the pocket book.

I don't think most people want Fleck fired.

All I am saying is that Gopher fans need to consider the possibility that Fleck is not a miracle worker.
Mason, Kill, Claeys - all had some solid seasons. Some fans thought the program should be winning Division titles or even Conference titles, and they thought Fleck was going to make that happen.

So far, he hasn't. Yes, the Gophers won 11 games in 2019. that was exciting. But I don't think that earns Fleck a "get out of jail Free" card for the rest of his tenure at MN.

Top Bottom