Fleck is fired up on KFAN

completely off-topic, but in the interest of historical accuracy, you're a few years off. from Wikipedia:

The peak years of the cattle trade in Dodge City were from 1883 to 1884, and during that time the town grew tremendously.

Dodge City became known as a true frontier settlement of the Old West. Dodge City had more gunfighters working at one time or another than any other town in the West, many of whom participated in the Dodge City War of 1883. It had saloons, gambling halls, and brothels, including the Long Branch Saloon and China Doll brothel.

By the mid-1880s, Dodge City began working to change its image away from that of a violent western town and towards that of a more peaceful and civilized location.
Well there SONny, I raise your Wikipedia by a Smithsonian Magazine...

1696021465845.png

1696021641883.png
Sourcing is everything...:D

Agreed. It’s hard to imagine with the Carlson School of Business, Cargill, Medtronic, Pillsbury n Target that there are not some higher wealth individuals with connections to the U ? So maybe their company can’t figure out how to use an athlete for marketing but that does not mean the individual couldn’t contribute or be an “ Elite “ club member for football donors.
Agreed. It’s hard to imagine with the Carlson School of Business, Cargill, Medtronic, Pillsbury n Target that there are not some higher wealth individuals with connections to the U ? So maybe their company can’t figure out how to use an athlete for marketing but that does not mean the individual couldn’t contribute or be an “ Elite “ club member for football donors.
It's easy to spend someone else's money. Many of these potential NIL funders you identify are no doubt very philanthropic and perhaps direct substantial giving to the University. But whereas giving to the Carlson School or other campus organizations might speak to these donors, giving money to "scholar" athletes might not and who can blame them. Should they be giving away money so you and I can have a more competitive football team to watch?

Broken record alert: As a business owner I see no value to my business in NIL. As an individual who routinely gives away away over 10% of my income, I see no intrinsic value in NIL. I have relatively expensive hobbies. Maybe if my only hobby was Saturday afternoon football and I had no other interests or hobbies, throwing my hobby money at the NIL collective would be more attractive. I should add the caveat that I'm not a U grad and never considered attending the U. I did briefly have season tickets for FB but we found that it was hard to use them. My colleagues and I always had plenty of other things to do. I'm a U fan because I'm a Minnesotan. Maybe my outlook is different if I'm a U grad but I'm a graduate of a school with athletic success and while once upon a time I donated to my school and a little to the athletic department, I no longer do, although I still follow my school's athletics fairly closely.

The reality is that funding NIL takes a die hard fan with deep pockets who might be prone to buying a car dealership, or taking the private plane to Vegas at 2 a.m., all on a whim. Minnesotans are far too even keeled for that. If the NIL gap continues to grow, its hard to imagine maintaining an interest in the U specifically and college football in general.

Last edited:

The reality is that funding NIL takes a die hard fan with deep pockets who might be prone to buying a car dealership, or taking the private plane to Vegas at 2 a.m., all on a whim. Minnesotans are far too even keeled for that. If the NIL gap continues to grow, its hard to imagine maintaining an interest in the U specifically and college football in general.

I wouldn't say Minnesotans are necessarily too even keeled - If I had F-U money, I'd totally drop big bucks to buy a good team. There are definitely people who have money and jet around on private planes here.

I think it's really more that college football just hasn't been popular enough around here that it's an important part of the popular culture like it is in Alabama or Texas or even Michigan.
And that's the fault of the U administration for letting it die on the vine for decades post 1967. Not just because we have pro teams, because last I checked, there are a lot of pro teams in Florida and Texas and Ohio and Michigan etc.

In addition, the flagship school in Minnesota isn't as ingrained in popular culture as it is in those states. I'm not sure why that is. It's true really of any of the public universities here. I see a lot more pride in people who went to any MIAC school than people who went to any public college in MN.

Can I ask what starters have left the Gophers for NIL money elsewhere? Irving would have been stuck behind Ibrahim had he stayed, so it seems he made a pretty easy decision - both money and PT that weren't available here, and a marquee team.

Can I ask what starters have left the Gophers for NIL money elsewhere? Irving would have been stuck behind Ibrahim had he stayed, so it seems he made a pretty easy decision - both money and PT that weren't available here, and a marquee team
I wouldn't say Minnesotans are necessarily too even keeled - If I had F-U money, I'd totally drop big bucks to buy a good team. There are definitely people who have money and jet around on private planes here.

I think it's really more that college football just hasn't been popular enough around here that it's an important part of the popular culture like it is in Alabama or Texas or even Michigan.
And that's the fault of the U administration for letting it die on the vine for decades post 1967. Not just because we have pro teams, because last I checked, there are a lot of pro teams in Florida and Texas and Ohio and Michigan etc.

In addition, the flagship school in Minnesota isn't as ingrained in popular culture as it is in those states. I'm not sure why that is. It's true really of any of the public universities here. I see a lot more pride in people who went to any MIAC school than people who went to any public college in MN.
i don’t buy that, my girl runs for the U, she and her entire team are proud as hell to wear that M on their chests! Minnesota is a prestigious public university!

He is wrong. PJ didn't once blame the NW loss on NIL.

He was talking about how great Darius Taylor has been the last three weeks, and then brought up how great another RB was as a freshman that they lost due to NIL - Bucky, and that it will happen again.

But of course there are the posters and loser media members like Ruesse who can't wait to try and connect the dots about anything to fuel their hatred for PJ.

If you listen to the broadcast and what Fleck said he was not wrong. Fleck was talking about Darius not running up the B gap on the 3rd and 2 and instead bouncing it. Converting of course would have iced the game. He said Darius would learn, implying it was inexperience. I believe he used those exact words. His next statement was about Irving not being there because of NIL. A reasonable person might think Fleck was implying a more experienced back would have hit the proper or desired gap, maybe converted, ended the game right there.

If all we need to do is pay the players, what do we need Fleck for?

i don’t buy that, my girl runs for the U, she and her entire team are proud as hell to wear that M on their chests! Minnesota is a prestigious public university!

I think as an athlete, her and her friends feel differently than average Joe and Jill student.

Fleck won’t last. He can’t survive with the changing big ten landscape. No more weak big ten west to beat up on. I bet he leaves after next season because of lack of NIL $ (6-7 wins is probably MNs ceiling going forward)

If you listen to the broadcast and what Fleck said he was not wrong. Fleck was talking about Darius not running up the B gap on the 3rd and 2 and instead bouncing it. Converting of course would have iced the game. He said Darius would learn, implying it was inexperience. I believe he used those exact words. His next statement was about Irving not being there because of NIL. A reasonable person might think Fleck was implying a more experienced back would have hit the proper or desired gap, maybe converted, ended the game right there.

That B gap closed real quick. I’m not saying he shouldn’t have still hit it, but I doubt he gets the first down regardless.

That B gap closed real quick. I’m not saying he shouldn’t have still hit it, but I doubt he gets the first down regardless.

Agreed, maybe squeezes through like a greased pig but looked pretty bottled up from the get go.

Last edited:

My senior has just been excepted to the Carlson School of management. I’m reading it’s top 15 in the US, what are you shoveling??
What does that have to do with funding athletics?

I would disagree in regards to the U. The other public schools, sure.
True to some extent, but nowhere near the fervor of someone who went to Bama, A&M, Texas, OU etc.

Nothing, replying to your statement that the MIAC students have more pride than students in any public University in Minnesota. We should take tremendous pride in the UofM.
What WE should do is one thing. What is reality may not be the same thing.

In my opinion, college sports is being ruined by NIL. I grew up listening to Ray Christenson on a Saturday afternoon call 50+ handoffs to Kent Kintzmann in a victory over Illinois, or Mike Hoehnsee throwing 4 td against OSU in an upset win. I cheered loudly for the home state team win or lose.

What message are we sending to 18 - 22 year olds who are receiving a free education, room and board, expert coaching, medical services but now expect a payout? We now are having to pay recruits 5K to visit a university, or a star running back hundred of thousands of dollars to keep their commitment to the school.

How do you build team chemistry (no I in team, one for all) when the starting line may only receive collective money and the qb is receiving +100 K?

Unless some how a governing body levels the playing field with this NIL we are going to have a few haves and many have nots. My cheer for the home state team is definitely not as loud because of the direction of college sports.

In my opinion, college sports is being ruined by NIL. I grew up listening to Ray Christenson on a Saturday afternoon call 50+ handoffs to Kent Kintzmann in a victory over Illinois, or Mike Hoehnsee throwing 4 td against OSU in an upset win. I cheered loudly for the home state team win or lose.

What message are we sending to 18 - 22 year olds who are receiving a free education, room and board, expert coaching, medical services but now expect a payout? We now are having to pay recruits 5K to visit a university, or a star running back hundred of thousands of dollars to keep their commitment to the school.

How do you build team chemistry (no I in team, one for all) when the starting line may only receive collective money and the qb is receiving +100 K?

Unless some how a governing body levels the playing field with this NIL we are going to have a few haves and many have nots. My cheer for the home state team is definitely not as loud because of the direction of college sports.
You don’t think Ricky Foggie or AAQ or even Sauter were getting paid while they were here? There have always been bagman in big-time college football, and frankly even in littler time college football. Now it’s just upfront, and it is what it is. To date, it really hasn’t hurt the Gophers. We’d have won another game or two or three if we had Irving but ultimately does he get us over the hump with Iowa? Maybe, maybe not. Oh, and for the most part, the players know the kids on the team knew who were getting a little extra on the side, even back in the day, and I don’t think anybody really cares or cared.

Fleck won’t last. He can’t survive with the changing big ten landscape. No more weak big ten west to beat up on. I bet he leaves after next season because of lack of NIL $ (6-7 wins is probably MNs ceiling going forward)
To go where?

Those were the daze!

You don’t think Ricky Foggie or AAQ or even Sauter were getting paid while they were here? There have always been bagman in big-time college football, and frankly even in littler time college football. Now it’s just upfront, and it is what it is. To date, it really hasn’t hurt the Gophers. We’d have won another game or two or three if we had Irving but ultimately does he get us over the hump with Iowa? Maybe, maybe not. Oh, and for the most part, the players know the kids on the team knew who were getting a little extra on the side, even back in the day, and I don’t think anybody really cares or

Don’t blame your home state team, they didn’t ask for this, keep cheering!

Imagine thinking that big time college football and basketball has ever been anything but a dirty, sleazy, money-driven form of big time entertainment. Do you think Dave Winfield had to go to class? Do you believe that Herb Brooks' teams didn't have under the table payments and didn't have other people doing their classwork? (hint, I know first hand that both these statements are true.)

That you even wrote the stupid cliche of "no I in team" is laughable and typical of the Washburn-Mcreavy crowd that pretends that some honorable rah rah school spirit crap ever really existed in any of our lifetimes.

...and frankly even in littler time college football.
I attended and graduated from MSU-Moorhead (it was still called Moorhead State at the time) so I was living in Fargo-Moorhead in the early 90's. NDSU was still D2 at the time, and I knew some guys who played for NDSU and UND (also still D2) at the time.

To say those guys got away with everything short of murder at the time and were protected might be an understatement. I was at a house party where a guy I knew who was a Bison player beat a guy to a horrible bloody mess. And not a single thing happened to him legally or from the team. Because he was protected. That's how it's always worked.

My senior has just been excepted to the Carlson School of management. I’m reading it’s top 15 in the US, what are you shoveling??
Why did your senior need to be excepted in? Didnt have the grades? Felony convictions?

Who said anything about that? You have to have a combination of good coaching and being able to pay your best players enough to stick around.

Do you think Alabama would be Alabama without paying players, even pre NIL? What do they need Nick Saban for?

Top Bottom