Fleck indicated Morgan will have to win the starting job next year. "There's always competition & there always will be competition...he's very aware"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Fleck on Morgan's return

Fleck also addressed the news that quarterback Tanner Morgan is returning for a sixth season with the Gophers in 2022.

"Tanner loves playing football, and I think Tanner wants to be able to make sure he can prolong his career so he can play football as many years as possible, whether that's college, whether that's at the next level and then get into coaching,'' Fleck said. "… He feels like coming back for another year is the best thing for him and his family and for the University of Minnesota.''

Fleck indicated Morgan will have to win the starting job next year. "There's always competition, and there always will be competition,'' Fleck said. "He's very aware of that.''

Fleck indicated Morgan will have to win the starting job next year. "There's always competition, and there always will be competition,'' Fleck said. "He's very aware of that.''
200.gif

Riiiiiight.

I can't see a 5th yr senior taking a backup role

Is he saying, can he beat out the former Nebraska qb?

At least that is my hope!

Why on earth would Fleck — or any other coach, for that matter — choose Tanner Morgan as the starter if Tanner Morgan wasn't the best QB on the team?

Fleck's future depends on winning, just as it does for all coaches. It would be crazy and self-defeating to start a player he knew to be inferior at the most important position in football.

I'll be very interested to see how Annexstad's and Clark's football careers play out in the future.
Yeah, I'll root for them.

Annexstad is interesting to me because he is such an unknown. So if he stays in P5, he'll almost certainly being in a competition for a starting job. I think smaller school might be the best bet for him. Go somewhere you can air it out.

I don't know why people are quicker to assume that PJ is just gifting Tanner the job, rather than acknowledging the far more likely reality that none of the other QB's are/were as good as Tanner.
It is gifting sir. There will be no competition at QB next Spring or fall.

Why on earth would Fleck — or any other coach, for that matter — choose Tanner Morgan as the starter if Tanner Morgan wasn't the best QB on the team?

Fleck's future depends on winning, just as it does for all coaches. It would be crazy and self-defeating to start a player he knew to be inferior at the most important position in football.
I think coaches can get tunnel vision (we all can).

They aren't actively thinking other people are better. It's about their tunnel vision hindering their ability to accurately judge who is better.

I think coaches can get tunnel vision (we all can).

They aren't actively thinking other people are better. It's about their tunnel vision hindering their ability to accurately judge who is better.
Better is not such an easy thing to judge though. One QB may be a better runner than another, or you might have a QB who is better at certain types of passes. But you have to take the whole picture into account. Who is going to make the right reads and the right decisions. Who is going to do the best job of taking care of the football. Who can you count on not to get rattled when things go sideways....

I absolutely believe that if the coaches truly thought another QB would give the team a better shot at winning, that guy would play. But to unseat Morgan, it is going to take one heck of a player to make the coaches believe someone else is better suited to lead the team than the winningest QB in the history of the program.

There is a reason why veteran QBs typically don't get beaten out. There is a lot more to playing QB at this level than just the physical tools.

Better is not such an easy thing to judge though. One QB may be a better runner than another, or you might have a QB who is better at certain types of passes. But you have to take the whole picture into account. Who is going to make the right reads and the right decisions. Who is going to do the best job of taking care of the football. Who can you count on not to get rattled when things go sideways....

I absolutely believe that if the coaches truly thought another QB would give the team a better shot at winning, that guy would play. But to unseat Morgan, it is going to take one heck of a player to make the coaches believe someone else is better suited to lead the team than the winningest QB in the history of the program.

There is a reason why veteran QBs typically don't get beaten out. There is a lot more to playing QB at this level than just the physical tools.
Yeah, it's incredibly difficult to judge and it's subjective.

I don't know why people are quicker to assume that PJ is just gifting Tanner the job, rather than acknowledging the far more likely reality that none of the other QB's are/were as good as Tanner.
When people don’t like what they see a boogie man or someone controlling the situation makes more sense to some people than uncomfortable possibilities.

I think their issue is more that they are behind Athan than behind Morgan.
Isn't Athan supposed to be very athletic? More of a dual threat? Wonder if he may supplant Kramer as the change of pace guy?

per STrib:

Fleck on Morgan's return

Fleck also addressed the news that quarterback Tanner Morgan is returning for a sixth season with the Gophers in 2022.

"Tanner loves playing football, and I think Tanner wants to be able to make sure he can prolong his career so he can play football as many years as possible, whether that's college, whether that's at the next level and then get into coaching,'' Fleck said. "… He feels like coming back for another year is the best thing for him and his family and for the University of Minnesota.''

no shot anyone can beat morgan out without game experience, only way he is benched is if hes injured and the backup goes off

no shot anyone can beat morgan out without game experience, only way he is benched is if hes injured and the backup goes off
I wouldn't say that is the only way Morgan could be knocked out of the starting spot but it is certainly the most likely.

Isn't Athan supposed to be very athletic? More of a dual threat? Wonder if he may supplant Kramer as the change of pace guy?
Think there is certainly a chance that could happen, if they feel he is similar to Kramer talent wise in terms of running the ball.

Think there is certainly a chance that could happen, if they feel he is similar to Kramer talent wise in terms of running the ball.
I kind of feel like our staff sees that position (wildcat QB) as a distinct position to minimize the hits on our starting QB. But that might just be a coincidence so far.

I mean, it's absolutely an open competition. He could get hurt, or he could decide that he doesn't want to play football anymore. Anyone's position, really.

Top Bottom