Fleck: "I think we can be a really good football team next year."

ourlads.com shows Jack Miller Fr as the backup then Gunner Hoak Gr.
There is probably a 50/50 shot they are a heisman candidate

But the 50% they aren’t means their QB situation could look like Georgia, LSU, Michigan, penn state, etc

we will really find out how good OSU coach ia next year.

Probably half of the FBS coaches in the country could win the big ten with Ohio state s players

@MNVCGUY, @Some guy

Agree with both of you about record. However, you guys have been here long enough. Watch this board and fanbase unravel if we don't win the West yet alone 8 games.

I've determined (and it's easy to see who they are) there are a fair amount of people who just hate life on this board and have a little-brother complex with WI and IA.
Rather than realize we haven't lost a non-conference game since Fleck has been here, haven't lost a bowl game since he's been here, etc. Those things don't matter.

There is no joy in that.

Instead we must focus on only the accomplishments we have not yet achieved. We must focus on the fact that all that matters is opponents who beat us.

It will be interesting. I think 2021 will be a pivotal year for Fleck and Gophs. At a place like the U, wins matter a lot in football for recruiting. Fleck knows this. 2020 aside, a 6-7 win 2021 season and an invite to an also-ran bowl game will affect recruiting more than maybe some on this board think it will. It will become easier to recruit against Fleck...calling 2019 a fluke and telling recruits MN is back to where they always are.

Coyle did not go after Fleck to have the program bump along at 6-8 wins and maybe go 5-4 in conference play every few years. Without a very good 2021, the program edges much closer to the situation we have with Pitino and the basketball program.

It will be interesting. I think 2021 will be a pivotal year for Fleck and Gophs. At a place like the U, wins matter a lot in football for recruiting. Fleck knows this. 2020 aside, a 6-7 win 2021 season and an invite to an also-ran bowl game will affect recruiting more than maybe some on this board think it will. It will become easier to recruit against Fleck...calling 2019 a fluke and telling recruits MN is back to where they always are.

Coyle did not go after Fleck to have the program bump along at 6-8 wins and maybe go 5-4 in conference play every few years. Without a very good 2021, the program edges much closer to the situation we have with Pitino and the basketball program.

I disagree completely.

Culture doesn't change on a pivot. Processes don't change based on game results.

Also, you don't know why Coyle went after Fleck, what his motive was to change coaches. We've been on this forum for 4 years and we don't have a consensus on why the last coach was shown the door.

You're projecting with no facts to back up your argument.

You would have no belief that I was correct if I would project: "If we win 11 games next year it will be pivotal and show we'll be contenders for the next 10 years".

I've determined (and it's easy to see who they are) there are a fair amount of people who just hate life on this board and have a little-brother complex with WI and IA.
Rather than realize we haven't lost a non-conference game since Fleck has been here, haven't lost a bowl game since he's been here, etc. Those things don't matter.

There is no joy in that.

Instead we must focus on only the accomplishments we have not yet achieved. We must focus on the fact that all that matters is opponents who beat us.

Office facepalm.gif

I don’t think the next class would be affected too much by a mediocre year, most of the class will probably be in place by the time the season starts.

I'm not suggesting that Fleck "has" to come back with a 10-win season next year.

But, perception does matter. in 2019, the perception was that MN was climbing the ladder and on the verge of becoming a program that mattered - not just in the conference but potentially on the national level.

that perception took a hit this year. Now, some will say 2020 doesn't count because of covid. Fine.

But that makes 2021 a key year. Can Fleck and MN regain that momentum?

I would think that they need to win at least 8 games next year. 9 would be better.

Otherwise, 2019 starts looking less like a trend and more like an outlier.

Biggest questions I have are of course who will be back and who will we pick up through the transfer portal.

If we can gain a few plug in guys that can improve our defense I think we can compete in most games.

I really am not going to be expecting the butt kickings we saw against Michigan and Iowa repeat themselves next year (except maybe for Ohio St) so hopefully at least all games are competitive.

Of course the QB is important, but when you're OSU and have (at least) 25-30 NFL players on your roster every season, you don't need a great QB to dominate the Big Ten. You're probably right that the 2021 version will probably be their "worst" team in a while, but all that means is that they'll be favored by 15 in every conference game instead of by 25. Even in the Indiana game, which was against a fellow top 10 team, they were favored by 20.5.

I assume that Ohio State will pick up some hotshot transfer QB from somewhere. No doubt we will be heavy underdogs but if there is a time to play them it is probably in week 1 while they might still be trying to figure some things out and haven't hit their stride yet.

I assume that Ohio State will pick up some hotshot transfer QB from somewhere. No doubt we will be heavy underdogs but if there is a time to play them it is probably in week 1 while they might still be trying to figure some things out and haven't hit their stride yet.
Week one is for sure when I'd like to play them but I've also seen how the gophers have looked in week 1's the last few years. Come out and try to win the game instead of just stay in the game and we might catch them off guard.

There are more factors to it, but generally my view

6-7 wins-Ho Hum, this should be expected floor of team and these seasons will happen
8-9 wins-Good season that most likely had a few highlight wins, most likely few disappointing losses, many dreams of what ifs
10+ wins-Enjoy the ride, this is pretty great

Rose bowl invite-I will drop everything and be there even if we're 3 score dogs. I'll get divorced if necessary to attend

CFP-I've accepted this is an extreme long shot and most likely will never happen for my Gophers.

Your takes are horrible. You hate Fleck and are still convinced Kill and Claeys are better coaches. PJ could win 4 games next year and still be infinitely ahead of Pitino. And Kill.

It is amazing that calling kill good not great and overrated by many gets people so riled up. Kind of fun.
You’d be surprised how many lurking on here still think Kill and Claeys are better than Fleck.

There is no joy in that.

I’ve gotten a great deal of satisfaction with PJ’s results as our head coach. But as a fan of any team, you are always looking to take the next step. When we were putrid, we just wanted someone to make us respectable. When you’re respectable, you strive to be good. Then from good to great, great to elite. Every fan base thinks that way. Where were we this year? Average. The 4th best team in the west. I’m not sure why it would bother you that some fans were disappointed and had higher expectations.

I’ve gotten a great deal of satisfaction with PJ’s results as our head coach. But as a fan of any team, you are always looking to take the next step. When we were putrid, we just wanted someone to make us respectable. When you’re respectable, you strive to be good. Then from good to great, great to elite. Every fan base thinks that way. Where were we this year? Average. The 4th best team in the west. I’m not sure why it would bother you that some fans were disappointed and had higher expectations.
I think most fans were disappointed, but looking at one season in a vacuum to evaluate a coach and program is tricky. Especially when you consider the success of the previous season and all the covid issues this year.

PJ's teams get better as the year progresses. Last year we were almost losing to USD And SJSU. He's a process oriented person and will not sacrifice it. You can agree if you like that or not, but it's true. This year was harder on teams that replaced more people (like a ton of d and an new OC) because they didn't have training camps and non con cupcakes to figure some stuff out. We literally have a thread about our 3rd and 4th string QB's transferring because we have another 4 star QB coming in. Recruiting is only getting better too. Lets hold off on the sky is falling. This year is an outlier. Happens again next year, then start having the conversation.

I think most fans were disappointed, but looking at one season in a vacuum to evaluate a coach and program is tricky. Especially when you consider the success of the previous season and all the covid issues this year.
i honestly feel negative nellys would be happier if 1-2 plays went different and we beat Wisconsin

I'm not suggesting that Fleck "has" to come back with a 10-win season next year.

But, perception does matter. in 2019, the perception was that MN was climbing the ladder and on the verge of becoming a program that mattered - not just in the conference but potentially on the national level.

that perception took a hit this year. Now, some will say 2020 doesn't count because of covid. Fine.

But that makes 2021 a key year. Can Fleck and MN regain that momentum?

I would think that they need to win at least 8 games next year. 9 would be better.

Otherwise, 2019 starts looking less like a trend and more like an outlier.
Yes wins matter. Can we just be patient for a few years and let Fleck have the run of it for the next 4+ years? 2021 will have little impact on the 2022 recruiting class they will all be committed and ready to sign at the end of the season. They will tell the recruits what they always do, selling them on culture, MN, and playing time. Fleck is good at it. IMO, Fleck's 11-2 season should have earned him the coldest seat in the B1G and allow him to do his thing for at least 5 more years. Unless players revolt and he has back to back terrible years and no one is interested anymore, recruiting tanks he should be the coach.

Fleck is in un-chartered territory as a coach and as he's never coached in a program this long. The floor has been raised and the ceiling is high. He had the best season in my lifetime. 40+ years.

Unfortunately the full extent of what Kill would have accomplished is unknown due to his health issues. Mason at least we know exactly what he was capable of.

The Gophers weren't able to get the air offense going. Kill was not attracting QBs to his run heavy RUTM offense. He laid the brick foundation for PJ Fleck's boathouse.

Top Bottom