Fleck happy with 2 ACC dline transfers

PJ should go get LSU’s Guice. Likely the young man needs some Rowing.

I get what you’re saying but you have to look at the reasons. Russell Wilson transferred. Cam Newton transferred. Both for very different reasons. Plenty of guys are successful transfers.
You mentioned Cam Newton! Fleck find a "bagman"?

You mentioned Cam Newton! Fleck find a "bagman"?
I mean I’m allowed to mention people who transferred. Just showing you great players transfer for different reasons. So you can definitely praise transfers. No one cares if you’re cautious about it.

There is a very clear difference in the way Fleck talks about this team vs. previous years. You can tell he expects this to be a very good team and is excited about the prospects for 2021.

And it is easy to understand why he is excited as good teams almost always are really strong along the lines and we are as deep and experienced along both lines as I have ever seen at the U right now.
Need to see if this OC can find some rhythm with a full off season. Last year was rough compared to the previous years.

Need to see if this OC can find some rhythm with a full off season. Last year was rough compared to the previous years.
As it stands right now there are really no reason why our offense should struggle in 2021. If we do that would point in large part to the OC.

8+ players along the O-Line with starting experience
2+ year starter at QB
One of the best RBs in the conference and potentially all of college football
Some question marks at WR/TE but lots of talented options with the potential to break out.

The pieces are all there for the offense to be really really good in 2021. As long as we don't get decimated by injuries it would be very disappointing to see the offense struggle next season.

As it stands right now there are really no reason why our offense should struggle in 2021. If we do that would point in large part to the OC.

8+ players along the O-Line with starting experience
2+ year starter at QB
One of the best RBs in the conference and potentially all of college football
Some question marks at WR/TE but lots of talented options with the potential to break out.

The pieces are all there for the offense to be really really good in 2021. As long as we don't get decimated by injuries it would be very disappointing to see the offense struggle next season.

Yes. The offense should be humming this year. If the defense improves....we should be back to contending for the West.

I get what you’re saying but you have to look at the reasons. Russell Wilson transferred. Cam Newton transferred. Both for very different reasons. Plenty of guys are successful transfers.

No doubt. Some of the better players the Gophers have had in the past 8-10 years were transfers:

Damien Wilson
D'Vondre Campbell
Briean Boddy-Calhoun
Chris Williamson
Ben St. Juste
Micah Dew-Treadway
Donnell Green
Cody Poock
Isaac Fruechte

I think part of the issue is some people look at transfers and JC guys in the same light.

I am always hesitant to get overly excited about a JC player because those guys are very hit and miss. I don't view transfers the same way. Fleck seems to have a good read on what he is looking for in a transfer and so far has had good success with the ones he has brought in.

I am always hesitant to get overly excited about a JC player because those guys are very hit and miss.

Yet, the Gophers have had good success with JUCOs over the years, including a few in the NFL.

Damien Wilson, D'Vondre Campbell, Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Donnell Green, Garrison Wright, Kobe McCrary, Cody Poock, Roland Johnson, Isaac Fruechte, and others

Yet, the Gophers have had good success with JUCOs over the years, including a few in the NFL.

Damien Wilson, D'Vondre Campbell, Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Donnell Green, Garrison Wright, Kobe McCrary, Cody Poock, Roland Johnson, Isaac Fruechte, and others
Unfortunately you could probably make a list of JC guys that is just as long of guys that didn’t pan out. It is not a bad way to go the player ms just tend to be very hit and miss.

Think the commentary he was going for was that the receivers we had during that time were hyped up by Kill about how good they were going to be and then it never materialized on the field.

WR is one of the positions where guys don't usually need multiple years to figure it out. If a kid can play he has a great chance of playing right away (unless stuck behind talented guys in front of him). We clearly had a need for receivers at that time, yet we had these guys that were supposedly going to be good but just couldn't find their way onto the field. As we are all well aware now, it was all talk with those guys as they were total busts as players.
Kill spread a lot of BS about QBs and WRs. That mental midget Jerry effed his own career by fielding D2 offensive talent. Just imagine if we had given into his demand to be AD.

To me the fact JP had to accept seven transfers indicates poor recruiting.
Transfers are players that could not make the two deep where they came from.
No doubt. I mean sure....5 of the 7 transfers played significant roles on their teams last year....but yeah let's go with your theory about them not being able to make the two deep at their previous school.

Not surprised you would choose to view the transfers as a sign of failure in recruiting. Another option might be to look at it is a coach going all in on what he thinks is going to be a very good team and wanting to add some experience at some key spots, especially on defense. And to address a sore spot which was special teams by bringing in some new kickers who did very well at their previous spots.

To me the fact JP had to accept seven transfers indicates poor recruiting.
Transfers are players that could not make the two deep where they came from.
ZWfk72y.jpg

Unfortunately you could probably make a list of JC guys that is just as long of guys that didn’t pan out. It is not a bad way to go the player ms just tend to be very hit and miss.

It was a smart strategy for Kill & Company to use their Kansas connections and bring in quality JUCO guys from that Jayhawk JC league there, lots of good players. Kill was not going to win a lot of head to head battles for high schoolers against peer institutions. Strategy definitely paid off with the likes of the guys I mentioned. Probably had more hits than misses.

PJ seems more likely to win recruiting wars for well-regarded high schoolers and is less likely to need JUCOs. He is smart to plug holes with select transfers from other P5 teams, as well. He's had some success with those guys (Williamson, St. Juste, OJ Smith, MDT, etc). Getting guys from Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan makes some sense.

It close to a make or break year for PJ and needing seven transfers has the feel of desperation.

It close to a make or break year for PJ and needing seven transfers has the feel of desperation.
It's not a make or break year for PJ. He had the best season in 100 years 2 years ago. The 2021 class was one of our best classes in the last 20 years. Transfers as a feel of desperation...how about transfers to make our team better?

It's not a make or break year for PJ. He had the best season in 100 years 2 years ago. The 2021 class was one of our best classes in the last 20 years. Transfers as a feel of desperation...how about transfers to make our team better?

Don't feed the Wiscy troll.

I don't think anyone took a swipe at Wisconsin so not sure why you are polluting this thread. Usually you only pipe up when someone takes a shot at your beloved Badgers.

The only place there is some desperation with the transfers is in the kickers as it is clear the kicking game needs to improve. And the make or break year comment is just dumb....Fleck is nowhere close to the make or break point in his time here.

Every program in the country faced adversity last season. Why do so many of our fans give Fleck a pass for last season?
2021 proves if 2019 was a fluke or real.

Every program in the country faced adversity last season. Why do so many of our fans give Fleck a pass for last season?
Every single frickin team/coach in the Country deserves a pass for last season.

Teams were asked to deal with extreme conditions, they lost tons of practice, meeting, training time. Teams were forced to cancel games or play with decimated rosters. There was next to nothing about the 2020 season that was normal.

Searching for a clue, are you? Or are your feet planted firmly in mid-air? I'll go with Option 2. Next!!!

2019 was real regardless of what happens this year. What do you mean give him a pass? What exactly do you want the fan base to do?

Searching for a clue, are you? Or are your feet planted firmly in mid-air? I'll go with Option 2. Next!!!
My first thought.....

Attachments

• Dumb-and-Dumber-fart-scene.jpg
    Dumb-and-Dumber-fart-scene.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 3

On paper 2018 class was better than 2021 class. On the field 2016 class was definitely the most successful in recent memory.

On paper 2018 class was better than 2021 class. On the field 2016 class was definitely the most successful in recent memory.
2018 and 2021 classes are very similar similar on paper and I am not sure I agree with the premise that the 2018 class was better.

The 2016 class was definitely one of our best classes top to bottom in terms of players panning out. Too early to say how the 2019-2021 classes will shake out. For a transition year class, we actually got some pretty good players in that 2017 group.

Top Bottom