Fleck gets local LB Gerlach. 2022

This makes me feel old.

I played against his dad in football and baseball growing up. His dad, Adam Gerlach, went to Hastings and was on the best athletes in MN in the late 90's/early 2000's. He was an All State football, baseball, and hockey. Went on to play hockey at Mankato.

Welcome aboard Joey Gerlach!!

Welcome Joey! Enjoy the experience, study hard, work hard, and you'll have a great college experience.

Happy for the kid, he earned a spot for the home town team by working hard. Must have game if Rossi and Fleck liked him!

This makes me feel old.

I played against his dad in football and baseball growing up. His dad, Adam Gerlach, went to Hastings and was on the best athletes in MN in the late 90's/early 2000's. He was an All State football, baseball, and hockey. Went on to play hockey at Mankato.

Did he play on the same Hastings' teams as Ben Utecht? I remember Hastings had a couple of dynamite classes during that era.

Did he play on the same Hastings' teams as Ben Utecht? I remember Hastings had a couple of dynamite classes during that era.
Yeah, he was a year younger.

The 98 team had Dan Welch, Ben Utecht, Adam Gerlach, and a bunch of other guys. They were #1 all year but lost to Woodbury in the state semifinals (Woodbury team led by NW Wildcat Louie Ayani).

The 99 team Dan Voight, Adam Gerlach and a bunch of other guys. They lost in the state finals to a Cretin team led by Bob_Loblaw and a few nobodies (Joe Mauer, Walter Bowser, Rashon Powers-Neal, Rian Melander, Mark McElroy, Ronnie Dox, and Kim Sarin).

The 98 team had Dan Welch, Ben Utecht, Adam Gerlach, and a bunch of other guys. They were #1 all year but lost to Woodbury in the state semifinals (Woodbury team led by NW Wildcat Louie Ayani).

The 99 team Dan Voight, Adam Gerlach and a bunch of other guys. They lost in the state finals to a Cretin team led by Bob_Loblaw and a few nobodies (Joe Mauer, Walter Bowser, Rashon Powers-Neal, Rian Melander, Mark McElroy, Ronnie Dox, and Kim Sarin).
Adam graduated in 2000 and Utecht in 1999. The 1999 Hastings class also included Michael Bauer, and 3 Gopher hockey players (Dan Welch, Jeff Taffe, Ben Tharp). The 2000 class also included Matt Vander Bosch who made it as high as AAA with the Red Sox. All of these guys played multiple sports and Hastings had a lot of good teams in many sports during those years. Gerlach and the 1999 baseball team won the state championship and was the team that ended Cretin's 66-game winning streak.

Fun fact: Joey Gerlach is Eric Decker's 3rd cousin.

This makes me feel old.

Did you play with Ben Kleinschmidt and Ben Utecht? Or was that earlier at Hastings?

Adam graduated in 2000 and Utecht in 1999. The 1999 Hastings class also included Michael Bauer, and 3 Gopher hockey players (Dan Welch, Jeff Taffe, Ben Tharp). The 2000 class also included Matt Vander Bosch who made it as high as AAA with the Red Sox. All of these guys played multiple sports and Hastings had a lot of good teams in many sports during those years. Gerlach and the 1999 baseball team won the state championship and was the team that ended Cretin's 66-game winning streak.
Yeah, I meant the football teams were those years.

Matt Vander Bosch was a Woodbury guy who transferred to Hastings and then Woodbury won the state championship (when he was a JR).

As far as your last point, I don't remember that game and I don't remember Jeff Taffe tearing the cover off the ball. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen.

CDH team was so loaded you forgot Marcus Freeman who went on to star at ND and win a ring with the Giants. Although he may have only been a sophomore in 99.

Did you play with Ben Kleinschmidt and Ben Utecht? Or was that earlier at Hastings?
I played against them. I went to Cretin. They were both a year (or two older than me). I played against Hastings a lot, they had a 5 year span where they were very good in every sport (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and wrestling).

I have no reason to believe any of it was true but there were always rumors about steroids down there during that time. It was probably just being bitter that they got so good (kind of out of nowhere) in every single sport.

99 Cretin team also had Rian Melander and Mark McElroy.

Interesting thing about that season of MN high school football, was some of the other really good players in the state:

Larry Fitzgerald
Paul Martin - NHL
Joey Abell - Boxer
Dom Simms

Yeah, I left off a bunch of folks.

The 1998 team had Phil Archer too (99 graduate).
It must have been a blast growing up with so many great players. I remember going to watch Hastings vs Cretin at Midway stadium in maybe 1999 when Mauer was a Freshman. He did his patented easy opposite field home run late in the game.

I played against them. I went to Cretin. They were both a year (or two older than me). I played against Hastings a lot, they had a 5 year span where they were very good in every sport (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and wrestling).

I have no reason to believe any of it was true but there were always rumors about steroids down there during that time. It was probably just being bitter that they got so good (kind of out of nowhere) in every single sport.
As a Hastings grad myself, all it took was me being done for the sports programs to improve immensely.

I like this add. Seems to move pretty well. I feel like local recruits are more likely to stick around longer to develop and wait for the opportunity as well.

Top Bottom