Fisch rumor??

2nd Degree Gopher

Reaction score
Paul Allen just had Corey Chavous on to discuss college football. (Chavous has been a regular guest who comes on to pimp his website.) Allen indicated that he heard from an NFL-connected source that Jedd Fisch was expected to join Mike Shanahan’s staff in an unspecified position if/when Shanahan took an NFL job. He asked Chavous if he had heard that and Chavous said he had not. Anyone heard this from anywhere else (i.e. a more credible source of Gopher football information)? While I certainly have questions about whether Fisch is the guy for the job here, I can’t fathom another coordinator change being beneficial.

Paul Allen just had Corey Chavous on to discuss college football. (Chavous has been a regular guest who comes on to pimp his website.) Allen indicated that he heard from an NFL-connected source that Jedd Fisch was expected to join Mike Shanahan’s staff in an unspecified position if/when Shanahan took an NFL job. He asked Chavous if he had heard that and Chavous said he had not. Anyone heard this from anywhere else (i.e. a more credible source of Gopher football information)? While I certainly have questions about whether Fisch is the guy for the job here, I can’t fathom another coordinator change being beneficial.

Good god no more coordinator turnover please!

It was started last week on GopherIllustrated strictly as a rumor. PA either read it or someone told him about it. Then he mentions it to appear as if he knew something about College football besides his obsession to get Brewster fired.

If this is true, I'm cracking a fresh bottle of bourbon.

If it came from Chavous, I would put little stock into the rumor...but the fact this thread was started over something PA said is ridiculous. PA is an idiot.

It sounds to me more like speculation. Why would Fisch leave his first coordinator job to join an NFL staff in an unspecified capacity? It would seem a bad choice if his goal is to be a head coach. Fisch would be better served careerwise by sticking around and developing his 'offense' than going back to the NFL as a position coach.

I can totally understand why Shanahan would want him. He's already hired him once before.

I have little doubt that he will be offered a job whenever and wherever Shanahan gets hired. But why would he take it? He left an NFL position coach job to come here, thus he perceived it as an upgrade. Why would he leave here to go back to an NFL position coach job?

There is absolutely zero chance he will be Shanahan's OC - that will be his son, Kyle.

It was started last week on GopherIllustrated strictly as a rumor. PA either read it or someone told him about it. Then he mentions it to appear as if he knew something about College football besides his obsession to get Brewster fired.

I don't even think it was a rumor. Someone posted a "what if ...".

I don't think it will happen, but didn't David Gibbs give up our DC position to be a position coach in the NFL. I don't think it is unheard of.

I can totally understand why Shanahan would want him. He's already hired him once before.

I have little doubt that he will be offered a job whenever and wherever Shanahan gets hired. But why would he take it? He left an NFL position coach job to come here, thus he perceived it as an upgrade. Why would he leave here to go back to an NFL position coach job?

There is absolutely zero chance he will be Shanahan's OC - that will be his son, Kyle.

He didn't leave his NFL job to come here, he was without a job and needed one after being let go when Mike Shanahan was fired in Denver. I wouldn't be suprised to see him go if he did since most of his coaching career has been in the NFL and he may feel more comfortable there.

Kyle Shanahan already has an OC job with Houston. He won't be joining Dad in Washington unless Kubiak gets fired or they manage to make it a 'promotion' of some sort. If Kubiak gets fired, there's a decent chance Kubiak will be the OC in Washington.

In any case, I can't see Fisch getting offered an NFL OC job with Shanahan or anyone else after what he (didn't) accomplish this year. But will he be offered a lesser job on Shanahan's staff? Probably. Will he take it? Who knows. He didn't exactly come here because he percieved it as an upgrade. He was fired along with the rest of the Broncos coaching staff and was unemployed when we hired him.

I agree that this can't be a good thing for the Gophers if it happens. Whatever his faults, Brew was going to sink or swim with this offense. I suppose it buys him another year of excuses, but in reality he needs to put up or shut up regardless. If a move becomes necessary it's imperitive he find someone willing to run the same offense.

Please say it IS so!!! His internship with the team this past year didn't work out so well. Let's hope he comes to the bowl ready to rock and prove us all wrong.

I don't think it will happen, but didn't David Gibbs give up our DC position to be a position coach in the NFL. I don't think it is unheard of.

Yes. With Mike Shanahan no less. FWIW his dad was the O-Line coach though.

PA also started the David Gibbs as a Gopher head coach candidate rumor too.

I do some serious damage to the drywall in my house if this happens. Hey, I need to renovate anyways.

PA also started the David Gibbs as a Gopher head coach candidate rumor too.

That makes it official Darren, PA wants to be the new Sid!:clap:

Gibbs, known as the "little buckaroo" on KFAN, use to appear regularly and take PA's calls. He wanted Gibbs to replace Mason even after Gibbs had been chased-out of more then a few jobs after he left Minnesota.

Good god no more coordinator turnover please!
But this would be a good thing. Fisch is terrible and over his head here. Firing Dunbar was idiotic, losing Fisch would be a huge blessing.

But this would be a good thing. Fisch is terrible and over his head here. Firing Dunbar was idiotic, losing Fisch would be a huge blessing.

'Sigh'
:horse:
I can't tell if your joking or not.
If this offense gets a yet another new system next year we can expect a 3-5 win season guaranteed. Frickin Weber has had to learn 3 in his 4 years, add another one next year and his head would explode. What this team needs and had been missing is consistency. The systems need to be in place for several years. If Fisch leaves we are sunk, even if his first year has been subpar.

I'd be very happy to see Fisch leave. You don't keep a crappy coach simply because you don't like turnover. The best case would be to dump him and get someone actually QUALIFIED to run an offense.

If Fisch is as smart as his old bosses say he is, he will be much improved next year, and I'd like to see that happen. For the most part, this year he had pretty good game plans and plays. However, he had some plays that didn't seem to have anything to do with the game plan. At times it was like, okay let's try this play because ... well, just because.

Consistency in coaches

I read an interesting column in the Arizona Republic several days ago (Christmas visit to family). They talked about Boise State and TCU, playing each other in a bowl game.

Boise State has had some great continuity for the last 10 or 12 years, losing 3 head coaches to bigger schools but replacing them by hiring from within. The result is their players have been playing the same offense and defense for the last 10 years. (Sorry I can't remember the names of the various coaches, but you get the idea.) TCU has had very similar continuity.

Minnesota, on the other hand has, had 3 different OC's in the last 4 years and a different Defensive Coordinator just about every year for the last 10 or so years.

Do you think that has made a difference? I, for one, hope we can keep the same coordinators for next year if not for a few years. Cosgrove and Lee obviously have it right and I think Fisch will get it right. Fisch suffered from being so young and not having any experience in how to institute a new offense, feeding it to the players as they could handle it. Weber, the receivers and the O-line all had all of their reads, routes, protection schemes and adjustments disappear so that nothing was automatic. How many times did SD blitz a linebacker up the middle and no one blocked him. No wonder Weber was shell-shocked! Another year and we'll see what Fisch's offense can do. If not, he'll be gone and maybe Brew with him.

I'd be very happy to see Fisch leave. You don't keep a crappy coach simply because you don't like turnover. The best case would be to dump him and get someone actually QUALIFIED to run an offense.

You have no idea whether he's a crappy coach or not. His offense was incredibly inconsistent this year, that can be said. What if another year of him coaching brings game to game production like we saw against MSU? I'd take it, consistency, consistency, consistency. These players were confused all year, throw in a new coordinator and they'll be confused next year too.
Fisch leaving would be very bad for the program.

Some people.....

There are waaaaaaaaaay too many people on this board that have no patience. Give the guy a chance.

'Sigh'
:horse:
I can't tell if your joking or not.
If this offense gets a yet another new system next year we can expect a 3-5 win season guaranteed. Frickin Weber has had to learn 3 in his 4 years, add another one next year and his head would explode. What this team needs and had been missing is consistency. The systems need to be in place for several years. If Fisch leaves we are sunk, even if his first year has been subpar.

'double sigh'

Are YOU joking because this 'logic' is nonsense. It all comes down to what you think of Fisch. If you don't think he's any good (and there's plenty of reason to think that), consistency means NOTHING.

Either Fisch is worth keeping (is or can be good enough) or he's not.

If you ultimately believe he's not good enough, then 'consistency' is beside the point. If you keep a poor coach for 'consistency', next year will not be better, and THEN you'll fire him making 2011 the 3-5 win season you don't seem to want. Keeping a poor coach for consistency merely prolongs the poor performance.

Now if you believe he IS good enough, then he's worth keeping. But consistency on it's own merits means nothing unless you think the Gophers are on the verge of something great despite a sub-par OC. Then you don't wanna rock the boat. I don't think anyone believes the Gophers are in that situation.

Your argument about consistency only makes sense if one assumes we all agree that Fisch can ultimately be good enough. There's clearly no agreement on that point.

You have no idea whether he's a crappy coach or not. His offense was incredibly inconsistent this year, that can be said. What if another year of him coaching brings game to game production like we saw against MSU? I'd take it, consistency, consistency, consistency. These players were confused all year, throw in a new coordinator and they'll be confused next year too.
Fisch leaving would be very bad for the program.

Agreed. I expect him to be here and the offense to take a big step forward starting 12/31.

'double sigh'

Are YOU joking because this 'logic' is nonsense. It all comes down to what you think of Fisch. If you don't think he's any good (and there's plenty of reason to think that), consistency means NOTHING.

If you ultimately believe he's not good enough, then 'consistency' is beside the point. If you keep a poor coach for 'consistency', next year will not be better, and THEN you'll fire him making 2011 the 3-5 win season you don't seem to want. Keeping a poor coach for consistency merely prolongs the poor performance.

Now if you believe he IS good enough, then he's worth keeping. But consistency on it's own merits means nothing unless you think the Gophers are on the verge of something great despite a sub-par OC. Then you don't wanna rock the boat. I don't think anyone believes the Gophers are in that situation.

Your argument about consistency only makes sense if one assumes we all agree that Fisch can ultimately be good enough. There's clearly no agreement on that point.

Fisch can be good, we've seen it.
There have been games this year where we moved the ball extremely well, there were also games that we couldn't move it at all.
It simply makes sense that if these players can have the same offensive playbook to study year 1 to year 2 they'll improve their execution of the offense that at times was very effective.

'double sigh'

Every point you made could be made about Brewster. I think most people (myself included) think Fisch has the offensive mind to succeed. It's a question of whether he can teach it to college kids we don't know yet. For better or worse, at this point Brew's train is hitched to Fisch. If Fisch fails, Brew fails with him. His leaving would be the first (or next) nail in Brew's coffin. You simply cannot go through 6 coordinators in 4 years, regardless of the circumstances. It's hard enough to see more then 6 or 7 wins on next year's schedule as it is. Add a third new offense in 4 years on top of that tough schedule and a semi-desperate/lame duck coaching staff and you have all the makings of a train-wreck.

I don't think you can confirm that he would have had a job on Josh McDaniels staff.

Top Bottom