First year coaches allowed to cut players?

btowngopher

Reaction score

Was checking out the transfer portal on 247 and noticed a few Gators recently, then found this story. I had no idea that this was allowed. Is this a new rule?

Was checking out the transfer portal on 247 and noticed a few Gators recently, then found this story. I had no idea that this was allowed. Is this a new rule?
I didn't realize it was a formal rule.

It makes a lot of sense. I actually think if the NCAA is becoming more and more quasi-professional, that NCAA teams should be allowed to cut players. If we are tearing down the veneer of amateur athletics with NIL and the transfer portal, the schools should also be allowed to treat them like professionals. Professionals who aren't producing get fired.

It makes a lot of sense. I actually think if the NCAA is becoming more and more quasi-professional, that NCAA teams should be allowed to cut players. If we are tearing down the veneer of amateur athletics with NIL and the transfer portal, the schools should also be allowed to treat them like professionals. Professionals who aren't producing get fired.
Interesting take Bob. Hadn't thought of it this way. Clearly the rules have changed.

That will 100% be the case the second they get direct payments by schools. Which is coming I think.
Can’t legislate NiL so you have to build a new system you can legislate

Yep

Top Bottom