First quarter shutout

Some guy

Reaction score
What I want to see in the gophers vs Iowa is a first quarter shutout.

2019, 2021, 2022 Iowa kicked Mn’s ass in the first quarter and then Minnesota won the rest of the game. But couldn’t overcome an awful first quarter.
Let’s tie the first quarter this year

Feels like the first team to 10 points will win this one.

Feels like the first team to 10 points will win this one.
Which I think will be the gophers if they can shut them out quarter 1

2022 end of first quarter
Iowa 10 Minnesota 0

2021 end of first quarter
Iowa 3 Minnesota 3
Score with 13:00 in second
Iowa 10 Minnesota 3

2019 end of first quarter
Iowa 13 Minnesota 0

May require a scripted offense the first drive or two. This includes coaching the QB on what to do if something isn't there.

May require a scripted offense the first drive or two. This includes coaching the QB on what to do if something isn't there.
And will require us to actually stop Iowa’s scripted offense. Which has IMO out coaches Rossi 3 of the last 4 years.
2020 I don’t put much value on

More generally first half. Point is correct.

If can’t get it done this year, then damn.

Lindenberg should be back is what I think I’ve heard? One guy probably doesn’t solve the whole LB issues, but can’t hurt.

The play that won them the game last year, after the int return (which he did not step out of bounds, in fact) … Howden just S the bed. Completely bit on it and TE went right by him for huge play.

I’m hoping we can have Taylor and Evans pound the ball, keep the pass attempts down, keep things boring and safe, protect the ball, pray special teams can avoid any gaffes. Even with how our defense has been playing, Iowa should have a tough time scoring if our offense and special teams aren’t assisting them.

I’m hoping we can have Taylor and Evans pound the ball, keep the pass attempts down, keep things boring and safe, protect the ball, pray special teams can avoid any gaffes. Even with how our defense has been playing, Iowa should have a tough time scoring if our offense and special teams aren’t assisting them.
That's pretty much the offense used in recent matchups. How did those games turn out? If I remember correctly, the offense Iowa used to start 2019 game was a surprise for Gophers.

Still hope we have a couple/ few wrinkles. Hopefully, to the OP's point, we can start fast!

Key to beating Iowa (especially this year) is making their offense beat you. Can't let their special teams and defense win the game for them (easier said then done).

Anyone down on our offense should spend some time watching Iowa play offense. It won't make you feel much better about how we have done on offense so far this year but it will at least prove that it could definitely be worse..... :)

That's pretty much the offense used in recent matchups. How did those games turn out? If I remember correctly, the offense Iowa used to start 2019 game was a surprise for Gophers.
The offense did fine. The turnovers and special teams mistakes did us in.

The offense did fine. The turnovers and special teams mistakes did us in.
Couple of key defensive breakdowns at the worst possible times have also done us in against Iowa in recent years. Games have been there for the taking we just haven't gotten it done.

Top Bottom