First punishment for an NIL violation?

Reads more as a recruiting violation than anything to do with a NIL.

I wonder how long until courts will step in and force the NCAA to allow things like this. If NCAA athletes are employees, which is where it seems to be heading, going out for a meal as a part of the interview process isn't too abnormal. I'm not a fan of it but the lines drawn don't make a lot of sense.

I wonder how long until courts will step in and force the NCAA to allow things like this. If NCAA athletes are employees, which is where it seems to be heading, going out for a meal as a part of the interview process isn't too abnormal. I'm not a fan of it but the lines drawn don't make a lot of sense.
SCOTUS, and other courts, have had a few chances to simply remove any restrictions, they've chosen not to so far.

Why did they choose women's volley ball? They couldn't find issues with major revenue sports?

This seems like an incredibly easy infraction to avoid.

sheer speculation here - but Ruiz is one of the most well-known boosters in the new NIL era of college sports. he certainly helped turbo-charge NIL from its original intention into a new version of pay-for-play.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone with the NCAA said "let's keep an eye on this guy and see if we can catch him doing something" in hopes that it might serve as a deterrent to other mega-boosters.
OR - a rival school dropped a dime on him. that also tracks.

According to what I had read elsewhere, the penalty was minimal because the infraction occurred under the older NIL rules.
The point of the penalty was to alert the schools that the NCAA is watching the NIL for possible infractions.
If you choose not to believe it, that is your choice.

Top Bottom