Fired Gophers ticket director charged in alleged long-running ticket-order scheme

So that's not true?

It's not as absolute as rockford makes it out to be.

You can't fire someone because they're black, because they're old, etc (obviously), and if you do have a process to fire someone for a reason it does need to at least be somewhat fair.

In practice if someone sues about the things I listed it's on them to prove that he employer was in the wrong so in all piratical sense it is pretty easy to fire people for reasons that are not allowed, but legally even in MN there are limits.

The whole "any reason" is not "any" as we think of it in plain english.

He sounds like an highly inventive, amoral, money hungry go-getter. HE'S GOT A GREAT FUTURE IN WASHINGTON!

It's not as absolute as rockford makes it out to be.

You can't fire someone because they're black, because they're old, etc (obviously), and if you do have a process to fire someone for a reason it does need to at least be somewhat fair.

In practice if someone sues about the things I listed it's on them to prove that he employer was in the wrong so in all piratical sense it is pretty easy to fire people for reasons that are not allowed, but legally even in MN there are limits.

The whole "any reason" is not "any" as we think of it in plain english.

I think that's an accurate correction. OTOH, as legal research service Lex Machina points out, very few claims even make it to court, and only 1% succeed in court. It recorded 192 damage awards in 72,000 cases.

So, in practice, the exceptions you mention (racial or age discrimination) are so difficult to prove that the net effect is that they provide very little protection to workers. For instance, to prove age discrimination, you pretty much need written evidence where somebody says, "let's fire that old fart Pete, he's too old."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextav...-win-an-age-discrimination-suit/#121c037f757e

Although companies can fire any employee at will, it used to be that if you were terminated to save the firm money and were also older, there was an inference of age discrimination since senior staffers tend to be paid higher wages. As a result, courts might have ruled in your favor. Now, Zuchlewski says, the courts consider that when a company is doing a reduction in force it wants to eliminate higher-paid people. “There’s no longer a link to age as a clear evidentiary issue,” Zuchlewski said.

The 2009 Supreme Court case Gross v. FBL has also made it tougher for plaintiffs to make their cases.

In that case, Jack Gross, a vice president at the Iowa-based insurance firm FBL Financial, was among a dozen employees on a list of staffers being demoted. All were older workers — Gross was 54 at the time — as well as high performers. Gross sued for age discrimination and won in lower courts, but lost in the Supreme Court, which ruled that a plaintiff must prove that age was the reason for discrimination.

Before Gross v. FBL, if an employer had a solid business reason for firing or demoting an employee but that was mixed in with age discrimination, the plaintiff had a valid claim. Now, plaintiffs must show age discrimination as the motivating factor. “It elevated the level of proof,” Zuchlewski says.

Also factor in that filing an employment discrimination lawsuit will likely costs tens of thousands of dollars, and leaves a paper trail that may have a further deleterious impact on a career, and you realize there really are few protections.

OK, sorry for the thread drift.

JTG

I think I've told this story before, but I was fired from a radio job once (program director at a station in Wisconsin) and one of the reasons they gave for firing me was "excessive use of profanity." there were other reasons - including the fact that most of the staff hated my guts, but it's a long story.

I think I've told this story before, but I was fired from a radio job once (program director at a station in Wisconsin) and one of the reasons they gave for firing me was "excessive use of profanity." there were other reasons - including the fact that most of the staff hated my guts, but it's a long story.

please start a new thread - long story or not its gotta be better than most of the gibberish on this board!

Luckily Sid Hartman never had that issue [emoji481]

You? Use profanity? I thought you were an angel and everyone liked you!

Top Bottom