Fired Colo HC Jon Embree on black coaches: "We get bad jobs and no time to fix it."

A organization would not hire a person without a financial background to be its CFO. It wouldn't hire a person with no legal experience to head its legal department. Why would it hire hiring leaders with no quantifiable skill sets in diversity? Oh pick me, pick me,.....I have the answer! The answer is; they really don’t value or want diversity. They create meaningless programs like...the new buzz word...diversity and inclusion groups/dept/council! And you know what those groups do? Not a damn thing other than create the appearance/illusion they do something and the organization cares.

And sometimes these programs actually do more harm than good. Several years ago my sister was trying to get into a pretty good pharmacy program. Every year, two of the openings were saved for minorities. As it turned out, my sister just missed out on being accepted. As it turned out, one of the two minorities who were accepted in this diversity program was very deserving of being accepted into the pharmacy program. The other one was not, however. But because this program was in place, she had to be accepted. Not only do you have people like my sister frustrated by this, you also have others in the program who had to work very hard to get accepted that probably look down on this individual. Was it this girl's fault the program was in place? Of course not, but in this instance I think it created more harm than good.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of "Seinfeld?"

My experience has been similar to Nate's. Every place that I've worked, there have been both formal mentoring programs, as well as informal mentor/mentee relationships. I've seen both genders and a variety of ethnic backgrounds (including "white") on both sides (mentoring and being mentored).

I agree with you, though, that in some instances there is a stigma to being involved in mentoring
programs.

Come on! As sarcastic as I am? I love both Seinfeld and Curb.

When I comes to mentoring programs my issue is their use when it comes to explaining he lack of diversity in an organization. It implies that "blame" resides in the group not being represented versus the folks doing the hiring.

If you aren't broken and victims, then stop playing the race card. You will never know whether decisions are being based on race or not, and it doesn't matter anyway. The way to win is to go to the competitor and kick ass. Black athletes didn't destroy their racial barrier by whining, did they?

Huh?

COME ON MAN.....the race card? Really? Let me try this once more for the stupid (that's you). As far as I'm concerned an organization can hire who the hell it wants to hire. All I ask is that when said organization (again not me) makes the determination that minorities are under represented, don't insult me by saying minorities need to fixed.

Organizations that don't have Hill Billies as hiring leaders don't have this issue (dearth of
minorities). Organizations lacking diversity equal Hill Billy Management.....simple see.

As a black person I'm not concerned with NCAA not hiring minorities. Did someone ask why?
Because we have absolute control over this situation. Did someone ask how? Don't play sports for
schools that won't hire you.

Let's take football for example, if in this day and age a school as had few if any black coaches on
there staff....don't go there and tell them why. And the school you decide to attend? Make sure
you tell them why. Before long, folks will get the message.

See I'm not a victim at all, I believe in TAKING what I feel I deserve.

Nope, not buying it. All coaches are not racially misrepresented in college football, just you
negro's (lol). No ill will intended, just keeping it light.
By mentioning business aspect (which I also disagree with) are you insinuating that white coaches have this and black coaches do
n't? The white coaches are getting the jobs after all. By the way coaches coach and recruit, AD's and their dept handle the business aspect.

Mentoring programs? I have worked in the corporate world for 28 years, I can't ever recall a white person who entered into a official mentoring program. Hell, I can't recall a white person ever referring to someone as their mentor. The only people I know who do that are black people who hope that it gives them some sort of legitimacy or says "look y'all, I been fixed!".....told you I'm a
jerk.

Me? I will do my job to the best of my ability, if management believes their organization has diversity issues then my suggestion would simply be; hire more minorities or if you want to fix someone, fix the people who aren't hiring minorities.

So what part of an idle thought regarding all coaches got overlooked? Am I misunderstanding you? Are you saying that people of European descent don't have mentors? No priests?, pastors?, professors?, fathers? advisers? etc., etc.?

Just a couple/ few more disorganized thoughts:

If one coaches, shouldn't they be open to being coached?

Do Universities, like businesses assess "customer" needs and offer "educational" programs to fit those needs?

I'm going to drop this because it is going nowhere in a hurry. If you'd care to continue this you can private message me.

Peace!

So what part of an idle thought regarding all coaches got overlooked? Am I misunderstanding you? Are you saying that people of European descent don't have mentors? No priests?, pastors?, professors?, fathers? advisers? etc., etc.?

Just a couple/ few more disorganized thoughts:

If one coaches, shouldn't they be open to being coached?

Do Universities, like businesses assess "customer" needs and offer "educational" programs to fit
those needs?

I'm going to drop this because it is going nowhere in a hurry. If you'd care to continue this you can
private message me.

Peace!

Never mind me man, my own family even role there eyes at me on occasion (lol). Of course when done correctly and for the right reasons, mentoring programs have value.

Ok....my moment of clarity is over.

And sometimes these programs actually do more harm than good. Several years ago my sister was trying to get into a pretty good pharmacy program. Every year, two of the openings were saved for minorities. As it turned out, my sister just missed out on being accepted. As it turned out, one of the two minorities who were accepted in this diversity program was very deserving of being accepted into the pharmacy program. The other one was not, however. But because this program was in place, she had to be accepted. Not only do you have people like my sister frustrated by this, you also have others in the program who had to work very hard to get accepted that probably look down on this individual. Was it this girl's fault the program was in place? Of course not, but in this instance I think it created more harm than good.

Too much for a sports board eh!:p Seriously, This is why I both like and hate conversations like this on message boards. I can tell by your tone that you are legitimately just trying to process this whole artificial thing called race and everything that comes from it.

While I am not a total fan of set aside or quota programs, I will state that such programs are not just "race" related. I know that boarding/ prep/ private schools,Universities and businesses including the press have and still do have diversity targets that include sex, age, geographical location, etc.. I know of people that were given scholarships to top prep schools because they came from small towns. If not given this chance, they probably would not have been able to attend either the prep school or the top Universities via scholarships that they did attend.

Going in another direction, I will piggyback on a part of corcoran1's comment:

"While it sounds like whining on its face, none of us really know enough about the situation to have any idea if this guy was making progress. If he was working for a bad AD, this could be a terrible decision. His background does not inspire confidence for anyone on this site, but the program may have been a shambles. A coaching change after two years in a depleted program is by definition a train wreck"

Two things:

One, the background. If organizations cannot afford or attract the idea candidate, they widen the net/ get creative. If said organization widens the net then they typically know that because they don't have an "idea" candidate they have to do other things to help make the hire a successful hire.

Two, defining the problem and progress toward fixing the problem. Rather than beat up the coach for saying things out of frustration because he felt he was fired before giving time to fix the problem, my thought was did the University work with the coach to map out a strategy to fix the program. I don't know. The reason this came to mind was what Kill did as soon as Teague came on board as AD. Though Kill may not get the full seven years to right the ship, the AD agreed that Kill will need time and resources to right the ship.

From my limited point of view, it appears that Colorado is a long slow rebuild. Sounds like Colorado doesn't have the resources to hire an elite coach and coordinators to do a quick turn around. It also sounds like they are not loaded with elite FBS talent. Nor do they have elite facilities or boosters like Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens. With that said, I wonder how realistic it is to expect any coach to turn things around instantaneously.

Huh?

COME ON MAN.....the race card? Really? Let me try this once more for the stupid (that's you). As far as I'm concerned an organization can hire who the hell it wants to hire. All I ask is that when said organization (again not me) makes the determination that minorities are under represented, don't insult me by saying minorities need to fixed.

Organizations that don't have Hill Billies as hiring leaders don't have this issue (dearth of
minorities). Organizations lacking diversity equal Hill Billy Management.....simple see.

As a black person I'm not concerned with NCAA not hiring minorities. Did someone ask why?
Because we have absolute control over this situation. Did someone ask how? Don't play sports for
schools that won't hire you.

Let's take football for example, if in this day and age a school as had few if any black coaches on
there staff....don't go there and tell them why. And the school you decide to attend? Make sure
you tell them why. Before long, folks will get the message.

See I'm not a victim at all, I believe in TAKING what I feel I deserve.

Too funny and too deep. I remember this being a barbershop discussion one afternoon.

The Black Coaches Association deserves a lot of credit for holding universities publicly accountable by grading their hiring practices. The more inclusive the candidate pool, the better the grade. Yet in the 2012 report released Thursday, Texas A&M, which hired Kevin Sumlin, an African-American, received an F. Why? Because A&M didn’t participate in the BCA’s reporting process. Well, so what? The grade reflects more poorly on the BCA than on the university. It makes the BCA look petty.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/72783/3-point-stance-secs-battle-lines

Top Bottom