Fire Richard Pitino? Gophers athletics’ current finances could be biggest hurdle

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

So, again, if Coyle moves on from Pitino, the primary question will be, can Coyle build a coalition — regents, boosters and others — to justify making a move of this financial magnitude given the department’s tight financial circumstances?

Go Gophers!!

You would think the buyout is $10M with all of this coverage.
1.75 Million is peanuts for a power 5 university.....It's all about the public perception because Coyle knows he is gonna get hammered by the press and certain individuals because of the programs he cut...Everything I have been reading tonight makes it look like Coyle has already told Pitino he is gone.

I believe it goes down to a million if he’s fired after April 1. Maybe Boston College will call the university and ask to hire Pitino with helping to pay off his buyout. I don’t know why they would do that, but you could always dream.

Even Doogie has relented on this argument.

Pitino‘s big ten record is now 40 games under .500. There‘s no way anyone can say that out loud and think he should be allowed back for a ninth season. How the heck did he make it this long?

1.75 Million is peanuts for a power 5 university.....It's all about the public perception because Coyle knows he is gonna get hammered by the press and certain individuals because of the programs he cut...Everything I have been reading tonight makes it look like Coyle has already told Pitino he is gone.
Spot on here. Coyle seems to be more concerned with his image versus anything else. We are in the same spot if not worse than we were last year. He should have done it last year and the vid was an easy excuse for him so he could stay out of the limelight.

The optics will be bad. Some members of the media will complain and say there is a double standard blah blah blah but the move has to be made. The money isn’t that significant.

The optics will be bad. Some members of the media will complain and say there is a double standard blah blah blah but the move has to be made. The money isn’t that significant.
No amount of $$$$ should be spared to satisfy my expectations for a successful Gopher BB program. Spend like an oil-rich sheikh! 🤑

As noted in the full article, If Pitino is still the Gopher coach after April 30th, he receives $400,000 as a "retention bonus."

So, in reality, the buyout is $1.35 million, because you save $400,000 by releasing him before April 30th.

and, The U has to take into account the impact on ticket sales. How would you like to be in charge of corporate sales or group sales for Gopher Men's BB if Pitino comes back next year? At the very least, with a new coach, you can offer hope.

BTW, I think my boss should pay me a "retention bonus." Instead, I got a coupon for a free turkey for Thanksgiving. (which I did not use because I couldn't cook a turkey to save my life - and my oven doesn't work.....)

Top Bottom