Fire Pitino

A nonymous

Reaction score
No excuses for these kinds of losses

don’t give me anything about missed free throws or miracle deep 3 point shots. Maryland did not win this game, Minnesota lost it.

These losses are not random events. Horrible late game execution. Every team defends the same way at the end of these close games and he has not done anything to counter it. You can’t continue to let your turnover prone point guard dribble around against pressure defense, leaving him on an island without sending him help. You have to anticipate that they will press and you need to set up an effective break. You have to have effective baseline inbounds plays after a video review gives you a whole fucking minute to draw something up. You have to have some sort of half court set that can generate a good look deep in the shot clock rather than repeatedly ending up with a 1on1 prayer chucked at the rim. You can’t go the last 3-5+ minutes without a bucket. Richard Pitino is has repeatedly demonstrated his deficiencies in all of these areas.

It’s time. fire pitino

Worst part about tonight is the fact Maryland didn't even play well down the stretch

Classic Pitino loss. Carr turns into the worst late game player = Pitino' s fault as he is exhausted. No idea how to run an inbound play = Pitino's fault. Basically every player choking at the end of games is a reflection on the coach. It's so obvious at this point that this team doesn't know how to win close games.

Classic Pitino loss. Carr turns into the worst late game player = Pitino' s fault as he is exhausted. No idea how to run an inbound play = Pitino's fault. Basically every player choking at the end of games is a reflection on the coach. It's so obvious at this point that this team doesn't know how to win close games.

This is just it. The fact is that even if all of these horrific meltdowns are on the players, doesn't that mean we need to fire the person who brought all of them in? This wasn't one game that went sideways against a hot team, it was a typical meltdown.

I was a huge pitino supporter, but the average play followed up by the Iowa and Maryland collapses is the final straw for me. I want him to succeed, but I just need change for the sake of change at this point.

I was a huge pitino supporter, but the average play followed up by the Iowa and Maryland collapses is the final straw for me. I want him to succeed, but I just need change for the sake of change at this point.

We also had a collapse at Purdue, it was pretty similar to these ones.

Move on. Was it the Iowa game?....where Demir continued to play the remaining four/five minutes of the game?

Pitino is a $hit coach. Move on.

I’m pretty sure that winning close games is something that very few teams, if any, are able to consistently do in the long run. Winning close games is not a skill, it’s a matter of chance. Sometimes you make the big play, and sometimes your opponent does.

I’m pretty sure that winning close games is something that very few teams, if any, are able to consistently do in the long run. Winning close games is not a skill, it’s a matter of chance. Sometimes you make the big play, and sometimes your opponent does.
47-80

Look it up, great programs consistently win games by 5 points or less far more often than terrible teams. They execute far better, they do the little things better day after day.

I don’t think Pitino needs to take all the blame for this loss. You have two guys that missed the front end of a one on one to seal the deal and they can’t make it happen. Such a disappointing loss. I hope they can learn from this and win the NIT. Go Gophers

So Pitino leaves, what does team look like next year? Gabe, Carr, Willis, Omersa, Curry? Ihnen, Freeman, Williams, and (Greenlee) probably gone, Mashburn (coming because of connection with Pitinos) and Mitchell likely gone, Oturo gone for sure (more than likely anyways). If he comes back he has a great core even better if Oturo does shock us and come back. And the year after that we only lose Willis. Pitino took some time to figure things out but this looks like a promising core going forward. If he is gone we start all over with another unknown. Just because guys are promising like Craig Smith and Niko doesn't mean they are going to be a homerun here. Look at Texas with Shaka, Indiana with 5 coaches since Knight (some success, some not), USC with Enfield. I could keep going. Firing and hiring is high risk, sometimes high reward, sometimes low reward move. Pitino was probably not the best hire 7 years ago (I agree some bumps along the road) but we are finally starting to see some sort of depth and roster construction going into next year and you want to blow it up? I have a feeling most people on there first job were great in the first couple years and took sometime to master it. Bet most of you are glad your boss didn't fire you just because you were raw but showed flashes of potential.

Life is going to be tough for you, son.

I'm sorry but this completely wrong.

So Pitino leaves, what does team look like next year? Gabe, Carr, Willis, Omersa, Curry? Ihnen, Freeman, Williams, and (Greenlee) probably gone, Mashburn (coming because of connection with Pitinos) and Mitchell likely gone, Oturo gone for sure (more than likely anyways). If he comes back he has a great core even better if Oturo does shock us and come back. And the year after that we only lose Willis. Pitino took some time to figure things out but this looks like a promising core going forward. If he is gone we start all over with another unknown. Just because guys are promising like Craig Smith and Niko doesn't mean they are going to be a homerun here. Look at Texas with Shaka, Indiana with 5 coaches since Knight (some success, some not), USC with Enfield. I could keep going. Firing and hiring is high risk, sometimes high reward, sometimes low reward move. Pitino was probably not the best hire 7 years ago (I agree some bumps along the road) but we are finally starting to see some sort of depth and roster construction going into next year and you want to blow it up? I have a feeling most people on there first job were great in the first couple years and took sometime to master it. Bet most of you are glad your boss didn't fire you just because you were raw but showed flashes of potential.

Depth? He essentially played seven guys (plus Omersa with his 7 min.).

His point guard played 40 minutes last night. His point guard had to play 35 minutes in a 27 point win on Sunday.

3 of the top 5 in minutes played in the Big Ten are Gophers.

"first job were great in the first couple year"
We didn't even get that.

Other than Oturu, there is very little talent on this team and there is no "roster construction" going on. Ihnen has a chance to be good but he's very raw. Otherwise, there isn't a player on the current team outside of Oturu (who's gone) who can lead a team to a win on the road in the B1G. The players coming in look good on youtube but that's close to meaningless.

There's no talent to preserve by keeping Pitino. My guess is that his players have tuned him out by now and might be receptive to a new voice.

Be patient. You can be pretty sure Coyle is working behind the scenes to find the right guy. He has a pretty good track record of coming up with the right people for coaching changes but he does it quietly and behind the scenes.

The loss last night solidifies the decision to make a change. I like Pitino and kept waiting for him to pull it together but it just never happened. He has had 7 years and we continue to be in the NCAA basketball wasteland.

It's time to move on but only if we can get the right guy.

It's time to move on but only if we can get the right guy.
It's time to move on no matter who they hire. It might be time to move on again, 7 years from now, but that has zero to do with moving on today.

Top players in the league play 30-32 minutes a game not 40, don't give me this crap about no bench. you develop the bench, create specific tasks for the team to follow for those short substitution periods, run plays to the strengths that are on the court, start developing this in November so by March every one knows their job and are prepared.

I really like Pitino. It pains me to see what he is going through as he seems like a genuinely good guy. But at what point do you say enough? Eight, nine, ten years? Big Ten record is 47-80. Do we keep hoping that the next recruiting class is the one and possibly fall further into the abyss? I get that firing a coach is no guarantee of success but does that mean we just stick with what we have? If this were the case, coaches would have lifetime jobs. Pitino was brought in to replace Tubby because the program had stalled and we needed to move forward. We have moved backward. Again, I like Pitino and think that he could be successful. It just doesn't look like that is going to be at Minnesota.

I'm under the fire Pitino camp.

But, if he can convince Oturu to come back, I'm all for giving him one more season. Oturu is an all-american right now. He could be all-world next season.

I don’t think Pitino needs to take all the blame for this loss. You have two guys that missed the front end of a one on one to seal the deal and they can’t make it happen. Such a disappointing loss. I hope they can learn from this and win the NIT. Go Gophers

Are you implying that Carr shot poorly at the end, because he's not a "clutch" player? As others have referenced, Carr played all 40 minutes, and handled the press by himself at tge end when he was already running out of gas. When he air-mailed the three pointer, and missed the FTs, 'm guessing his legs were gone. That's on Pitino, not Carr.

Marcus Carr did not lose the game last night

Not pressing the guard and letting them roll the ball to the dang 3-point line is inexcusible!
unreal! my wife told me to relax when I was yelling at the dang TV....what did they let them do that....at least 3 times....one of them with 45 seconds left let them roll it to the 3 point line picks it up and drives and Gabe fouls them....1 second came off the dang clock! 1!!

inexcusable is 100% correct!

Top Bottom