Finally Making the People Who Leave Early Regret It!

Other than a few hundred in the upper corner of the student section, I don't think many fans left.

Quite a throng pouring out all at once post-game. Loved it.
They weren’t pouring out but it was a steady trickle for the second half of the fourth quarter.

I will never understand it but there are always a certain number of people at football games that are not there to watch football.

They weren’t pouring out but it was a steady trickle for the second half of the fourth quarter.

I will never understand it but there are always a certain number of people at football games that are not there to watch football.
It’s why football has replaced baseball as America’s pasttime. Fans that don’t even enjoy football, enjoy the experience. The tailgate, bands, the electricity in the air, etc

Lots of red in the upper reaches of section 211. The couple behind me left once Nebraska threw the final interception. They knew.

It’s why football has replaced baseball as America’s pasttime. Fans that don’t even enjoy football, enjoy the experience. The tailgate, bands, the electricity in the air, etc
I hate to burst your bubble but Baseball has played a very significant role in shaping this nation. From the civil war to the Great Depression to the Civil rights movement, people have always turned to baseball. The game of baseball supports and reflects many aspects of American life. It’s the grandfather of American sports and been played for around 150 years. Yes, the NFL and football overall is now a more popular sport but that has nothing to do with pastime.

Lots of red in the upper reaches of section 211. The couple behind me left once Nebraska threw the final interception. They knew.
Yep, 211 is susceptible to foreign attendees for games like this. We had a group of about 20 down and over in 212 that obviously attend games and travel together. They lived and died on every play. Made sure to yell in their direction extra loud.

To their credit though the Nebbie diehards around us stuck it out. They were just looking for what they view as "The Curse of Mediocrity" to be lifted and it came darn close.

We sit at the end of the aisle and once the game ended a couple of Nebbie fans seated above us stopped on the way down and congratulated us/Gophers for gutting it out as it was not pretty. We told them to beat I-O-W-A.

As for our fellow Gophers, we had about 3 rows mostly clear out around 3-4 minutes or so left. Certainly made it easy to see the field of play, especially for that glorious ending.

Ski U Mah.

October 26, 2018. I flew in on Thursday to watch the Friday night game (Tanner's first start). From the kickoff to the end of the game in rained and rained some more, and it was cold. The Gophers were way ahead until the 4th quarter when Indiana started to make their comeback. Even though I was cold and soaked to the skin, I stayed until they tied the game. I then became part of the mass exodus, because so many of us had seen that show before, plus I was concerned about my health. I was about halfway back to the Graduate hotel and the few remaining fans in the stands were cheering wildly. Morgan to Bateman touchdown. I could hear cheers again when our defense recovered a fumble to seal the game.

There is something different about Coach Fleck's teams. My next game was the Outback Bowl against Auburn. I wasn't giving my seat for anything. I stayed until the end of the game and beyond. Okay, so it was 70 degrees and sunny. Still, I learned my lesson. I guess sometimes we need to fail to beat our best.

We’re a bad 3Q team - was hoping we break this trend from last year. We were not a well oiled machine, just wasn’t clicking

I hate to burst your bubble but Baseball has played a very significant role in shaping this nation. From the civil war to the Great Depression to the Civil rights movement, people have always turned to baseball. The game of baseball supports and reflects many aspects of American life. It’s the grandfather of American sports and been played for around 150 years. Yes, the NFL and football overall is now a more popular sport but that has nothing to do with pastime.
1693580330288.png

October 26, 2018. I flew in on Thursday to watch the Friday night game (Tanner's first start). From the kickoff to the end of the game in rained and rained some more, and it was cold. The Gophers were way ahead until the 4th quarter when Indiana started to make their comeback. Even though I was cold and soaked to the skin, I stayed until they tied the game. I then became part of the mass exodus, because so many of us had seen that show before, plus I was concerned about my health. I was about halfway back to the Graduate hotel and the few remaining fans in the stands were cheering wildly. Morgan to Bateman touchdown. I could hear cheers again when our defense recovered a fumble to seal the game.

There is something different about Coach Fleck's teams. My next game was the Outback Bowl against Auburn. I wasn't giving my seat for anything. I stayed until the end of the game and beyond. Okay, so it was 70 degrees and sunny. Still, I learned my lesson. I guess sometimes we need to fail to beat our best.
Plus, you missed the ref do a couple of spinnies and then fall on his gut.

I remember being there at 0:00 in the 55-0 game.
I was too. We had to have been one of the only ones because I bet there were literally only a few dozen Gopher fans left in the building at that point. I made a point to sit in my seat until the clock hit 0:00 because I knew it would be the last football game I ever attended in that dump.

I was too. We had to have been one of the only ones because I bet there were literally only a few dozen Gopher fans left in the building at that point. I made a point to sit in my seat until the clock hit 0:00 because I knew it would be the last football game I ever attended in that dump.
Same.
My wife is still bitter about me making us stay until the end of that game. This was before smart phones and she had to play Snake on her flip phone.

We had the "Bitter End Club" in the Brewster days. Some of those games were brutal, especially at the end.
I always stay to the end.

I remember well. Just sitting there feeling the cool fall air and futility...

I remember being there at 0:00 in the 55-0 game.
I always tell friends and family... I STAY TO THE END

They have all learned now that is how I roll.

giphy.gif

I sat in 244/243 area and I saw a pretty steady stream leaving during the fourth quarter. Several dozen by my estimate. In fact, we got down to the concourse pretty quickly because so many people had left early.

With the way the offense was failing to move the ball.....I think the pessimism won over for some people who decided to cut their losses. Every fan base has these people. The Gophers aren't alone.

I heard a few say they had to work in the AM.

This is another piece of the puzzle....but it goes hand in hand with what I posted above. I obviously wasn't going to leave unless the game was out of hand....which it never got to that point. That said....I didn't get home until almost midnight due to 169 being closed.

I didn’t say anything about the history of baseball and the affect it had on shaping the history of our country. Baseball doesn’t bring people together the way it used to. Football does.

There was a group of 5 nebraska fans in front of us. 3 kids (10-12 years old I would guess) and two dads who were buddies. Also a group of 3 guys in their mid 30s (Iowa fan who passed out, gopher fan and Nebraska fan). The mid-30s Nebraska fan was great. The 10-12 year olds were a little too cocky along with their smug dads. Lots of black shirt talk.

My wife felt bad as the kids cried. I had to explain to her if the kids were happy I’d have been crying.

I always stayed to the end but not last night. I left after the 3rd quarter and I do not regret it. The beauty of YouTube allowed me to watch the victory over and over again when I got home.

I always stayed to the end but not last night. I left after the 3rd quarter and I do not regret it. The beauty of YouTube allowed me to watch the victory over and over again when I got home.
You missed a hummdinger. The weather was perfect and the electricity from both fans bases was cranked to 11.

Top Bottom