FIFTEEN more test positive for COVID-19

You responded to my post with the silly "there are risks everywhere" angle. Since football players risk their bodies playing the game....why shouldn't they risk something like covid. It's a horribly flawed argument.

Furthermore....the long term effects of covid are not yet known. Myocarditis is one of those things that could go undetected in acute cases. So downplaying the potential harm because you haven't heard about hundreds of cases after a few months basically confirms that you had a predisposition against caution in the first place. Which is surprising since, if I remember correctly, you've been pretty middle of the road on the whole covid situation.

So there could be hundreds of cases of athletes with acute signs of myocarditis that go undiagnosed. May not have an immediate impact....but certainly could later on.

Beyond its scientific backing, the notion that a COVID-19 patient might wind up with long-term lung scarring or breathing issues has the ring of truth. After all, we hear the stories, right? The virus can leave survivors explaining how they struggled to breathe, or how it can feel, in the words of actress Alyssa Milano, “like an elephant is sitting on my chest.”

We’ve also known for a while that some COVID-19 patients’ hearts are taking a beating, too—but over the past few weeks, the evidence has strengthened that cardiac damage can happen even among people who have never displayed symptoms of coronavirus infection. And these frightening findings help explain why college and professional sports leagues are proceeding with special caution as they make decisions about whether or not to play

From an offensive lineman at Indiana University dealing with possible heart issues to a University of Houston player opting out of the season because of “complications with my heart,” the news has been coming fast and furiously. More than a dozen athletes at Power Five conference schools have been identified as having myocardial injury following coronavirus infection, according to ESPN.

Though it often resolves without incident, myocarditis can lead to severe complications such as abnormal heart rhythms, chronic heart failure and even sudden death. Just a few weeks ago, a former Florida State basketball player, Michael Ojo, died of suspected heart complications just after recovering from a bout of COVID-19 in Serbia, where he was playing pro ball.

Here’s the background: Myocarditis appears to result from the direct infection of the virus attacking the heart, or possibly as a consequence of the inflammation triggered by the body’s overly aggressive immune response. And it is not age-specific: In The Lancet, doctors recently reported on an 11-year-old child with multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C)—a rare illness—who died of myocarditis and heart failure. At autopsy, pathologists were able to identify coronavirus particles present in the child’s cardiac tissue, helping to explain the virus’ direct involvement in her death. In fact, researchers are reporting the presence of viral protein in the actual heart muscle, of six deceased patients. Of note is the fact that these patients were documented to have died of lung failure, having had neither clinical signs of heart involvement, nor a prior history of cardiac disease.

The guys go through a very through workup, far more than the average schmuck out there with a benign mild infection without lasting symptoms. These things are scrutinized very closely by experts in the field. Myocarditis is not new and there isn’t any strong evidence this is worse than that caused by other viral infections.

The (old) article is mostly irresponsible alarmism and fearmongering. There were at least two threads detailing why back in the summer. I‘m not going to rehash why here. The Big Ten decided on a very conservative return to play protocol which is probably overkill and even harmful to some of the kids but it will satiate the highly anxious set and the lawyers.

33 is 65% higher than 20. That's pretty far in my book. 98% of physicians and 92% of nurses get flu shots.
Okay? And the Covid 19 vaccine is 100% more controversial, questionable to many and debated than a flu shot is. That makes it closer in my research and conclusions.

Your statistics are a bit irrelevant without a source. And with most any statistics we can find a counter statistical analysis that says differently, especially in this area.

You have your opinion, I have mine and neither one matters to the coronavirus.

Kevin Warren, like pro sports commissioners, works for the administration of the member institutions. He was the voice of the decisions but was hardly making his own calls on when and how to have a football season.

Plenty of blame to go on athletic departments, university presidents, and their legal and medical counsels
Yes, he works for member institutions. And if he is an exceptional leader he would have been ahead of the decision in June, July convincing those member institutions why they needed to begin play on time. OR be strong enough not to roll over and attempt to play a half baked schedule with a late start resulting in chaos and criticism.
Just remember this...PJ just spent an hour telling us the whole thing is not his fault.
He makes no decisions, he just follows orders.
You agree and PJ and Kevin Warren feel that’s all anybody needs to know. I just follow orders. Don’t blame me.

The guys go through a very through workup, far more than the average schmuck out there with a benign mild infection without lasting symptoms. These things are scrutinized very closely by experts in the field. Myocarditis is not new and there isn’t any strong evidence this is worse than that caused by other viral infections.

The (old) article is mostly irresponsible alarmism and fearmongering. There were at least two threads detailing why back in the summer. I‘m not going to rehash why here. The Big Ten decided on a very conservative return to play protocol which is probably overkill and even harmful to some of the kids but it will satiate the highly anxious set and the lawyers.

Never said that myocarditis is new. But it is a FACT that covid has an effect on both the heart and the lungs.

How is that article "irresponsible alarmism and fearmongering"? The only thing irresponsible is to be too quick to discard the effects of covid and the potential long-term implications before knowing what they are. There's nothing in that article that is misleading.

Yes, he works for member institutions. And if he is an exceptional leader he would have been ahead of the decision in June, July convincing those member institutions why they needed to begin play on time. OR be strong enough not to roll over and attempt to play a half baked schedule with a late start resulting in chaos and criticism.
Just remember this...PJ just spent an hour telling us the whole thing is not his fault.
He makes no decisions, he just follows orders.
You agree and PJ and Kevin Warren feel that’s all anybody needs to know. I just follow orders. Don’t blame me.

Completely disagree. Warren took the advice of other professionals in order to come up with this decision. If he would have pushed the decision to start, he also would have been responsible for the fallout of that decision. He did the prudent thing by waiting until there was more information available.

I think the team has decided the season is over and its time to party. I doubt they play again and I don't blame them. If I was in their shoes at that age I would be doing it to.

Completely disagree. Warren took the advice of other professionals in order to come up with this decision. If he would have pushed the decision to start, he also would have been responsible for the fallout of that decision. He did the prudent thing by waiting until there was more information available.
Not hard to agree with you. An excellent formula to stay employed and not be responsible if stuff goes wrong but is it leadership?
I'm sure you could find other professionals who disagreed at the time you found ones who charted the course. But to me leadership is weighing both and making the best decision for all. Then selling it to your group.
If you disagree that's not leadership, okay. But if you credit him for leadership in agreeing to play
a couple months down the road versus taking the entire year off, I don't know. That seems a lot like...uh oh we are bleeding money...let's play after all, because the majority want to play now.

Not hard to agree with you. An excellent formula to stay employed and not be responsible if stuff goes wrong but is it leadership?
I'm sure you could find other professionals who disagreed at the time you found ones who charted the course. But to me leadership is weighing both and making the best decision for all. Then selling it to your group.
If you disagree that's not leadership, okay. But if you credit him for leadership in agreeing to play
a couple months down the road versus taking the entire year off, I don't know. That seems a lot like...uh oh we are bleeding money...let's play after all, because the majority want to play now.

When the decision comes down to you, safety should always take precedence. Yes....even over money believe it or not. At the time, I'm sure he had plenty of advising that played into the decision. Wasn't there one point in time where both Michigan and Michigan State Presidents (both doctors) said that their teams wouldn't play even if the Big Ten planned to go through with the season?

Have you noticed my moniker? 🤷‍♂️
Then I'll continue to call you out as many times as I see fit, that you're a layperson and not at all an expert, even though you pretend to provide "expert" opinions and often take the tone/attitude that they be treated as such.

Until such time as you decide to prove your credibility, if you actually have any (I doubt it).

https://www.startribune.com/souhan-...top-playing-games-and-delay-season/573256791/

What do we know about sports during a pandemic?

Entire leagues operating within a bubble can thrive. Leagues that try to play outside of a bubble face risk, whether that winds up looking like college football superspreaders, the NFL’s barely-contained-so-far outbreaks or Major League Baseball’s we’ll-figure-it-out-as-we-go, that-wasn’t-too-bad approach.

Here’s what we should remember about college basketball as it awkwardly begins its seasons:

They don’t have to play right now. And a plan to play later could reap all sorts of benefits.

Here’s what the plan should be:

• Pause the season now. Allow teams to practice as long as they follow strict protocols. The quality of play upon resumption will improve.
• Restart the season in February, or thereabouts. The post-holiday spike will be over, we hope. A vaccine might have already been distributed and made its way to front-line workers. Athletes shouldn’t be the primary recipients of vaccines, but once the front-line workers are taken care of, they can benefit from the vaccines and resume play.
• Postponing to later this winter might enable more or all of the games to be played in front of fans. That would provide a massive financial boost to colleges. And it would be more fun than watching what look like scrimmages on TV in front of empty seats, with coaches constantly yanking down their masks to yell — another sign that some Americans aren’t smart enough to operate during a pandemic.
• Ratings are down for almost all sports as the pandemic alters viewing habits and dampens enthusiasm. The ratings would be better later.
• March Madness is a cool nickname, but May Madness would work as well. The NCAA tournament will draw viewers and attendees no matter when it’s played.
• College athletes aren’t paid and shouldn’t be asked to prop up the finances of their schools and networks by playing during a pandemic. Let them wait until it’s safe.

This could be the year that Lindsay Whalen’s Gophers emerge as a Big Ten power. She has recruited well and has an intriguing roster.

But her team isn’t going to make great strides playing seven players.

As for sports fans, we have NFL games to watch every night of the week, the NBA is about to restart, and the NHL is on its way.

It would be far better for spectators, as well as the athletes, to see full-fledged, stands-full, safely played basketball in February than what we’re watching now.

The choice is stark: Bad basketball with limited rosters and canceled games now, or better basketball later?

Only the virus would choose the former.

When the decision comes down to you, safety should always take precedence. Yes....even over money believe it or not. At the time, I'm sure he had plenty of advising that played into the decision. Wasn't there one point in time where both Michigan and Michigan State Presidents (both doctors) said that their teams wouldn't play even if the Big Ten planned to go through with the season?
Ya, ya, ya lol So, was it then a good to decision to start play on October 24th? I don't think it makes sense to applaud both.
Other than again, I like my job, I'll just follow along with what they tell me.

Okay? And the Covid 19 vaccine is 100% more controversial, questionable to many and debated than a flu shot is. That makes it closer in my research and conclusions.

Your statistics are a bit irrelevant without a source. And with most any statistics we can find a counter statistical analysis that says differently, especially in this area.

You have your opinion, I have mine and neither one matters to the coronavirus.
CDC is my source right from its influenza section. The string of posts was about the flu shot, I responded to that part.

CDC is my source right from its influenza section. The string of posts was about the flu shot, I responded to that part.
Cool, hopefully the same proves true for the vaccine!

Ya, ya, ya lol So, was it then a good to decision to start play on October 24th? I don't think it makes sense to applaud both.
Other than again, I like my job, I'll just follow along with what they tell me.

I'm not trying to decided what the best course of action was. Hindsight is 20/20. I just find it funny that a bunch of people with no skin in the game have been lambasting Warren for erring on the side of caution....considering covid is a potentially deadly virus and not a whole lot is known about its long-term effects.

Can't remember if it was this thread or not - but my opinion remains the same.

The B1G is attempting to play a Fall FB season for two reasons:

1. give Ohio State a chance to be in the CFP playoffs. Once the SEC and ACC went ahead, and it was clear there was going to be some kind of a playoff, the B1G had a financial incentive to have a team in the playoffs.

2. make the Nebraska players, coaches and fans shut the f*ck up. if the B1G had stuck to its original stance and not played, we would have had to endure months of whining, complaining and threats of legal action because America was denied the opportunity to watch a bad team attempt to play FB.
that is honestly my favorite part of this screwed-up season - watching Nebraska fall on its face. The Kirk Ferentz "clapping" routine was comedy gold.

1. give Ohio State a chance to be in the CFP playoffs. Once the SEC and ACC went ahead, and it was clear there was going to be some kind of a playoff, the B1G had a financial incentive to have a team in the playoffs.

2. make the Nebraska players, coaches and fans shut the f*ck up. if the B1G had stuck to its original stance and not played, we would have had to endure months of whining, complaining and threats of legal action because America was denied the opportunity to watch a bad team attempt to play FB.
that is honestly my favorite part of this screwed-up season - watching Nebraska fall on its face. The Kirk Ferentz "clapping" routine was comedy gold.
3. They were quickly becoming the laughing stock of college football before relenting and opting to play, not just for not playing, but for the handling of the situation from start to finish

I think a 3rd reason was that it eventually became apparent that a Spring Season would have several downstream impacts such as:
- No guaranty anything would be better
- Vast majority of NFL Draft prospects opting out
- Impact on the 2021 Fall season such as a delay, further opt outs, injury/rest recovery from the Spring

It was either play this Fall to get as much TV cash as possible, however truncated/wacky it may be or just wait until Fall 2021.

I think a 3rd reason was that it eventually became apparent that a Spring Season would have several downstream impacts such as:
- No guaranty anything would be better
- Vast majority of NFL Draft prospects opting out
- Impact on the 2021 Fall season such as a delay, further opt outs, injury/rest recovery from the Spring

It was either play this Fall to get as much TV cash as possible, however truncated/wacky it may be or just wait until Fall 2021.
All water under the bridge now, so to speak, but I think a Spring season 8 game schedule was very doable. Brohm even put together schedule/data on what it would look like from a rest/recovery stand point with both seasons happening in 2021 and the difference in rest recovery was very similar to two regulars seasons spanning the normal amount of time.

The lack of proportion seen in these posts is very interesting.
There will be a minimum of 400,000 deaths of American citizens before community resistance happens with a vaccine that a majority of citizens agree to get.
The economy is badly damaged because rational people avoid crowds and have hunkered down.
This pandemic is the most disruptive event to affect this country since WW2 and folks have their shorts in a bundle because the college football season was a cluster.
Over a thousand health care workers have died in the line of duty.

https://www.startribune.com/souhan-...top-playing-games-and-delay-season/573256791/

What do we know about sports during a pandemic?

Entire leagues operating within a bubble can thrive. Leagues that try to play outside of a bubble face risk, whether that winds up looking like college football superspreaders, the NFL’s barely-contained-so-far outbreaks or Major League Baseball’s we’ll-figure-it-out-as-we-go, that-wasn’t-too-bad approach.

Here’s what we should remember about college basketball as it awkwardly begins its seasons:

They don’t have to play right now. And a plan to play later could reap all sorts of benefits.

Here’s what the plan should be:

• Pause the season now. Allow teams to practice as long as they follow strict protocols. The quality of play upon resumption will improve.
• Restart the season in February, or thereabouts. The post-holiday spike will be over, we hope. A vaccine might have already been distributed and made its way to front-line workers. Athletes shouldn’t be the primary recipients of vaccines, but once the front-line workers are taken care of, they can benefit from the vaccines and resume play.
• Postponing to later this winter might enable more or all of the games to be played in front of fans. That would provide a massive financial boost to colleges. And it would be more fun than watching what look like scrimmages on TV in front of empty seats, with coaches constantly yanking down their masks to yell — another sign that some Americans aren’t smart enough to operate during a pandemic.
• Ratings are down for almost all sports as the pandemic alters viewing habits and dampens enthusiasm. The ratings would be better later.
• March Madness is a cool nickname, but May Madness would work as well. The NCAA tournament will draw viewers and attendees no matter when it’s played.
• College athletes aren’t paid and shouldn’t be asked to prop up the finances of their schools and networks by playing during a pandemic. Let them wait until it’s safe.

This could be the year that Lindsay Whalen’s Gophers emerge as a Big Ten power. She has recruited well and has an intriguing roster.

But her team isn’t going to make great strides playing seven players.

As for sports fans, we have NFL games to watch every night of the week, the NBA is about to restart, and the NHL is on its way.

It would be far better for spectators, as well as the athletes, to see full-fledged, stands-full, safely played basketball in February than what we’re watching now.

The choice is stark: Bad basketball with limited rosters and canceled games now, or better basketball later?

Only the virus would choose the former.

How many of these guys are going to be COVID-naive by this spring? Probably the most litigation avoidance-friendly approach. They should just cancel the season. The schools probably have insurance for stuff like this, huh? /s

The lack of proportion seen in these posts is very interesting.
There will be a minimum of 400,000 deaths of American citizens before community resistance happens with a vaccine that a majority of citizens agree to get.
The economy is badly damaged because rational people avoid crowds and have hunkered down.
This pandemic is the most disruptive event to affect this country since WW2 and folks have their shorts in a bundle because the college football season was a cluster.
Over a thousand health care workers have died in the line of duty.

These are all bad things, but what do they have to do with college sports? Do you legitimately think these guys (and gals) would have somehow avoided socializing/contracting the virus if sports were cancelled? Have you been to college yet? I don’t see this age group hiding in their apartments or parents houses for 12-18 months. Magical thinking.

Then I'll continue to call you out as many times as I see fit, that you're a layperson and not at all an expert, even though you pretend to provide "expert" opinions and often take the tone/attitude that they be treated as such.

Until such time as you decide to prove your credibility, if you actually have any (I doubt it).

I give my opinions (which differ from yours oftentimes) and you say I’m labeling myself an expert, but yet I won’t give my credentials...

Huh. How does that make sense, Mpls?

Your tone and attitude try to pretend like your opinion is expert.

But it isn't. And I'll remind any thread of that, as often as I see fit.

These are all bad things, but what do they have to do with college sports? Do you legitimately think these guys (and gals) would have somehow avoided socializing/contracting the virus if sports were cancelled? Have you been to college yet? I don’t see this age group hiding in their apartments or parents houses for 12-18 months. Magical thinking.
I am well aware of what happens on college campuses today and for that matter what happened decades ago.
A grand daughter is a sophomore in the School of Biological Sciences at the U of MN.
In January she developed Covid Toes. She is now immune but three of her current room mates have tested positive.
The point is that she along with all of the students are taking on line classes. She will not see the inside of a lab for a year.
The universities devote their resources to test football and now basket ball players yet fail to do what is necessary for their most important function- to have their students in school.
Churches, bars, gyms and restaurants are open but not schools.
You again failed reading comprehension.
The key phrase I wrote was a lack of sense of proportion between the angst over a trivial matters like sports and real issues like deaths and disruption.

All water under the bridge now, so to speak, but I think a Spring season 8 game schedule was very doable. Brohm even put together schedule/data on what it would look like from a rest/recovery stand point with both seasons happening in 2021 and the difference in rest recovery was very similar to two regulars seasons spanning the normal amount of time.

I thought it had merit as well, but the Brohm plan got very little to zero traction. So many NFL prospects would have opted out and without the carrot of a National title I get the sense that games would have even more resembled ramped up scrimmages.

STrib editorial board:

https://www.startribune.com/it-s-time-to-shut-down-the-big-ten-football-season/573269531/

It's time to shut down the Big Ten football season

COVID-19 is surging in Big Ten football locker rooms and in the states that the conference's universities serve. Conference officials should cancel what's left of the 2020 season not just to protect student-athletes and staff but to prevent team outbreaks from spreading to the broader community.

This week, the University of Minnesota announced that 47 Gophers football players and staff have tested positive for the virus since Nov. 19, causing the team to cancel a second consecutive game. The number infected is about 30% of the program's personnel. This appears to be the biggest Big Ten football outbreak so far, but that could change rapidly without responsible action by conference officials.

Clearly, the testing, social distancing and "stringent medical protocols" the conference touted to justify resuming play after initially deciding to delay the season are inadequate. There's been only one week since the condensed season's late October start when the virus hasn't forced cancellation of at least one game.

To its credit, the Big Ten put in place more rigorous restrictions than other conferences. But recent remarks made by Gophers coach P.J. Fleck during a radio interview suggest how difficult it is to defend against the virus. Walling off players is not realistic.

"These are student-athletes. They live in dorms. They are around 55,000 other students somehow, some way, even if the class is virtual," Fleck told KFAN.

In an e-mail to an editorial writer, Paul Rovnak, director of communications for Gophers athletics, also stressed the rigor and diligence of the team's infection control efforts. Said Rovnak: "Our recent situation with football is not a result of anyone doing anything wrong. The virus just found a way in."

The pair's comments make a strong case for canceling the rest of the season. No screw-ups are required for a team outbreak to happen. Even the best measures and intentions aren't fail-safe. Given how seriously ill COVID can make people and how much is unknown about its long-term risks — including possible heart damage among athletes — the most responsible course of action is to stop the season.

The Gophers now have just one regular-season game left, plus a Dec. 19 divisional crossover game. Although the Gophers appear to have more COVID cases than the rest of the league's teams, by shutting down the entire conference now and canceling the postseason the Big Ten would send a strong and educational message that the risks vastly outweigh any rewards of playing on.

It's also critical to note that the virus could spread from football programs to the broader communities in which schools are located. The nation is in the midst of an alarming surge of COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths.

The Minnesota Department of Health has "not identified any community cases associated with the Gopher football team, but that doesn't mean we might not in the future," a spokesman said on Tuesday.

Dr. Dan Diekema, director of the division of infectious diseases at University of Iowa College of Medicine, had lauded the conference's August decision to postpone football. When the conference reversed course a month later, he was critical and told NBC News it was not safe to play.

"Nothing has happened since I gave that interview that would change my view — in fact the COVID-19 activity across the Midwest (and in other areas of the country) has worsened considerably, making it even more problematic," Diekema told an editorial writer this week.

I am well aware of what happens on college campuses today and for that matter what happened decades ago.
A grand daughter is a sophomore in the School of Biological Sciences at the U of MN.
In January she developed Covid Toes. She is now immune but three of her current room mates have tested positive.
The point is that she along with all of the students are taking on line classes. She will not see the inside of a lab for a year.
The universities devote their resources to test football and now basket ball players yet fail to do what is necessary for their most important function- to have their students in school.
Churches, bars, gyms and restaurants are open but not schools.
You again failed reading comprehension.
The key phrase I wrote was a lack of sense of proportion between the angst over a trivial matters like sports and real issues like deaths and disruption.

The athletic department has their own revenue streams and in recent years is mostly not dependent on the school. If daily testing helps protect the players and the revenue that allows the athletic department to function and NOT have to plow under more Olympic sports that’s a win righht?

You’re completely delusional, or perhaps demented, if you think young people are going to shelter and do facetime calls for 12-18 months. In California it’s feasible up to 35-50% of 18-34 yr olds (depending on number of unconfirmed cases) have already contracted the virus.

The athletic department has their own revenue streams and in recent years is mostly not dependent on the school. If daily testing helps protect the players and the revenue that allows the athletic department to function and NOT have to plow under more Olympic sports that’s a win righht?

You’re completely delusional, or perhaps demented, if you think young people are going to shelter and do facetime calls for 12-18 months. In California it’s feasible up to 35-50% of 18-34 yr olds (depending on number of unconfirmed cases) have already contracted the virus.

Name calling is a sign of a losing argument and not a sign of strength.
Where did I write I expected anyone to shelter in place and do FaceTime cals for a year and half?
As I said before reading comprehension is not your strong suit nor is logical, rational argument.

This thread is about college football teams dealing with COVID-19 outbreaks. You posted a tangentially-related comment earlier about the larger pandemic and the difficulties our society at large has had with dealing with it, etc. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my takeaway from your comments above was an implication the guys should not be playing, it is unfair they are playing, and are perhaps a source of community spread. I argued otherwise, and statistics indicate a very large portion of college age individuals have already been infected. Cancelling sports would not have changed the socialization patterns of the guys and may have made them worse. They should have started the season earlier, but that’s water under the bridge.

Top Bottom