Field of 68 Projection: Gophers Among 10 B1G Teams Currently In The Field

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Here’s our “Thank Goodness 2020 Is Over” Field of 68 projection. There are 20 new teams in the field from our previous (Dec. 20) projection. Please note, we are still getting a feel for teams, so for now projections are a hybrid combining resume and projecting ahead of results. But once we hit late January it’ll be all about the resume.

An * denotes the leader in a multiple-bid conference or -- in the event of a standings tie -- the team with the best NET ranking (noted in parentheses).

FIELD OF 68 PROJECTION (through games played 1/2/21)
America East (1): Stony Brook (191)

American (2): Houston (8), *SMU (37)

ACC (8): Clemson (15), Louisville (33), Virginia Tech (34), *NC State (38), Virginia (45), Florida State (60), North Carolina (64), Duke (115)

ASUN (1): Jacksonville (265)

Atlantic 10 (2): Saint Louis (12), *VCU (31)

Big East (5): *Villanova (5), Creighton (30), Seton Hall (44), Xavier (46), Providence (78)

Big Sky (1): Southern Utah (135)

Big South (1): Winthrop (39)

Big Ten (10): Illinois (4), *Michigan (6), Iowa (7), Wisconsin (11), Rutgers (17), Ohio State (28), Minnesota (43), Northwestern (50), Indiana (51), Michigan State (119)

Big XII (6): *Baylor (2), Texas (9), Texas Tech (18), Kansas (27), West Virginia (29), Oklahoma (49)

Big West (1): UC-Irvine (164)

Colonial (1): Hofstra (109)

Conference USA (1): Rice (202)

Horizon (1): Cleveland State (167)

MAAC (1): Monmouth (127)

MAC (1): Bowling Green (84)

MEAC (1): North Carolina A&T (308)

Missouri Valley (1): Drake (20)

Mountain West (2): *Boise State (13), San Diego State (41)

NEC (1): Mount Saint Mary’s (116)

OVC (1): Belmont (100)

Pac 12 (4): *Oregon (19), USC (26), UCLA (54), Stanford (55)

Patriot (1): Colgate (16)

SEC (6): Tennessee (3), Missouri (10), *Florida (22), LSU (23), Arkansas (24), Alabama (36)

SoCon (1): Furman (56)

Southland (1): Abilene Christian (73)

SWAC (1): Grambling (251)

Summit (1): Oral Roberts (121)

Sun Belt (1): Little Rock (136)

WCC (2): *Gonzaga (1), BYU (52)

WAC (1): New Mexico State (252)

Last 4 In:
BYU (52), North Carolina (64), Providence (78), Michigan State (119)

First 4 Out: Colorado (14), Syracuse (25), UConn (48), Richmond (68)

8 to Watch: Maryland (32), Purdue (47), Loyola-Chicago (58), TCU (65), Tulsa (66), Western Kentucky (87), San Francisco (94), Georgia Tech (95)

Non-Power 6 At-Large Bids (4): Houston (8), Saint Louis (12), San Diego State (41), BYU (52)

Non-Power 6 Percentage of the Field: 42.6%

Movin’ On In (20): Alabama, Boise State, Bowling Green, Cleveland State, Drake, Grambling, Hofstra, Jacksonville, Little Rock, Minnesota, Monmouth, North Carolina A&T, NC State, Northwestern, Oral Roberts, Rice, Stony Brook, UC-Irvine, UCLA, VCU

Out With the Old (20): Davidson, Georgia State, Liberty, Marquette, Marshall, Nevada, NCCU, Northeastern, Purdue, Richmond, Saint Peter’s, South Dakota State, Syracuse, Texas Southern, Toledo, UConn, UCSB, UMBC, Western Kentucky, Wright State

National Champion: Gonzaga

NEXT PROJECTION: Saturday. Jan. 16/Sunday, Jan. 17

Last edited:

23 in kenpom. NET coming out this week.

Bought time you put the Gophers in SS!

You'll be able to move Northwestern back out soon.

Is the preseason final 4 your prediction or the top 4 teams preseason?

Bought time you put the Gophers in SS!

You'll be able to move Northwestern back out soon.
If NU holds serve at home like any above avg B10 team, they will stay right around the Gophers until MN wins a road game. Would hold off on hating NU.

Would seem much more reasonable to quip about UNC/ACC bids in general given their horrific SOS to date (for example, see LOU schedule to date).

Curious - when you’re making these projections, do you seed teams as well? Or just predict in/out?

Curious - when you’re making these projections, do you seed teams as well? Or just predict in/out?
I don't do the seeding stuff. I let the Lunardis and Palms of the world do that.

My thing has always been projecting the at-larges. That's enough entertainment for me!

Please note, I have updated team numbers to reflect today's initial NET rankings. I will use the NET going forward.

Please note, I have updated team numbers to reflect today's initial NET rankings. I will use the NET going forward.
Oh God, SS moving us back out again!

Look at those NET rankings! Duke and MSU must be automatic qualifiers!

If had to bet the mortgage, would u bet gonzaga/baylor or the field? :)

If had to bet the mortgage, would u bet gonzaga/baylor or the field? :)
Field, in a sec. With the field I would get the "no champion/COVID" option I assume?

Field, in a sec. With the field I would get the "no champion/COVID" option I assume?

Never thought of that, but not an option. Still the field?

Never thought of that, but not an option. Still the field?
Yep, still the field, since COVID could take out Suggs or any of the stars at any time.

Top Bottom