FBT season recap included an interesting comment attributed to Bill Miller

Oneoldgopher

Reaction score
"Assistant head coach and linebackers coach Bill Miller even went as far to say that the team was full of "emotionally fragile" players whom the coaching staff "needed to be careful" how they worded their teaching moments in practice in a post-game interview with KFAN's Justin Gaard. The players, filled with years of negative memories of blowouts past, frequently fell into the trap of "here we go again."

Here is an example of why a cohort of coaches needs new blood and outside dissenting opinion. The only guy who will see the problem from a different perspective is the guy who still has independent judgement. Not looking to have anybody termed or bring in anybody else. Once in a while, bringing in fresh voices has a larger purpose than just an upgrade. It is always worth looking at coaches who have fresh ideas and perspectives. It keeps creativity alive. I think Bill Miller understands the college game and football players very well. Treating people with decency and consideration goes a long way to curing the ills of the past.

i think that was quite evident from week 2 on and how/what coach said and handled what he said to the media about these kids... this was realised right around the nebraska game imo... the staff learned how to handle these kids and how to coach them.

"Assistant head coach and linebackers coach Bill Miller even went as far to say that the team was full of "emotionally fragile" players whom the coaching staff "needed to be careful" how they worded their teaching moments in practice in a post-game interview with KFAN's Justin Gaard. The players, filled with years of negative memories of blowouts past, frequently fell into the trap of "here we go again."

Here is an example of why a cohort of coaches needs new blood and outside dissenting opinion. The only guy who will see the problem from a different perspective is the guy who still has independent judgement. Not looking to have anybody termed or bring in anybody else. Once in a while, bringing in fresh voices has a larger purpose than just an upgrade. It is always worth looking at coaches who have fresh ideas and perspectives. It keeps creativity alive. I think Bill Miller understands the college game and football players very well. Treating people with decency and consideration goes a long way to curing the ills of the past.

I agree with your assesment of Bill Miller, I'm glad that he is on our staff. I also can see where having a fresh set of eyes on a situation will help, but what makes you think that Bill Miller was expressing something that the entire staff didn't think? The article doesn't hint that Miller was saying it as a critique of Kill, it more or less sounds like something the whole staff thought.

It's interesting how open and honest Coach Kill and his staff have been. I don't recall a HC throwing things out there for the fans like Kill has done.

Like the 60 some players being monitored for attending class and the lack of discipline throughout the program.

i think that was quite evident from week 2 on and how/what coach said and handled what he said to the media about these kids... this was realised right around the nebraska game imo... the staff learned how to handle these kids and how to coach them.

I agree and I think this is an area Kill's initial approach would have been more applicable had he been here 3 years and the team would have been almost entirely "his guys." Tricky situation for both the in-coming coach and the remaining athletes. Somehow the switch got turned and I think it's a real credit to Kill to recognize the need for a bit of a change. That's what good coaches do.

The switch is "on"

I agree and I think this is an area Kill's initial approach would have been more applicable had he been here 3 years and the team would have been almost entirely "his guys." Tricky situation for both the in-coming coach and the remaining athletes. Somehow the switch got turned and I think it's a real credit to Kill to recognize the need for a bit of a change. That's what good coaches do.

I think all of you are correct. In 6 years or less, we will see a much improved team with Coach Kill at the helm. Bill Miller is an asset. He is proving to be a good recruiter, solid coach, and an asset to the staff.

Top Bottom