Fasching Hammers Home OT Winner Against Michigan

Reaction score
Hudson Fasching blistered a one-timer past Michigan goalie Steve Racine in overtime to give the Gophers a 3-2 win on Friday night at Mariucci Arena. The victory put Minnesota back atop the Big Ten standings with four regular-season games remaining.

Hudson Fasching
On how it felt scoring the game-winning goal:
“Awesome, so good. Tonight, we didn’t quit on each other. We came together as a team. We battled right to the end. It’s just an awesome feeling being able to stand here and have a W under the belt and being in first place in the Big Ten. It’s just awesome.”

On how tough it was to respond after giving up the first goal:
“That’s always tough. It was similar to last night, kind of a broken play—turnover. It happens but we kind of came together a little bit more today. Yesterday, we were kind of like, ‘oh no’, and pouted about it and got down. Today, I think we responded. We had more energy on the bench. We had more energy as a team. We came together instead of falling apart today so I think that was huge for us.”

Don Luica
“I thought it was a great college hockey game. Both teams played way better than what they did last night. The pace of the game was better. As a staff we felt Michigan was going to play better tonight and we had to play better as well. I just thought it was a great college hockey game. I think that was the best game we’ve been involved in all year.”

On if there was desperation heading into the game:
“There’s no question that if we wanted to try and defend the crown, we had to win today. There’s no way you’re going to fall back four points with four games to go and think you’re going to have a chance to win. We talked about keeping that trophy we have with Michigan. If we tie we get to maintain it. We’ve had it now for a number of years and we didn’t want to give that up. The goal was to stay ahead of Michigan after the weekend. They’re a good team, there’s no question. They’re dangerous. We had to play a complete game.”

On how the team responded after giving up the early goal:
“Tying it one-one was critical. You don’t want to spot Michigan two [goals] and think you’re going to play catch up because maybe then you have to play a different type of game than you want to play. I thought tying it one-one was really critical for us tonight.”

Red Berenson
“We wanted to get more than a split when we came here. I think Minnesota is probably pretty happy with a split right now. ...It seemed like a playoff game on the ice. Both teams played hard. They were a lot more focused, a lot more desperate tonight than they were last night. We tried to get our team to match that. At times we did and at times we didn't."

Three Stars
3 – Leon Bristedt scored his 16th goal of the season.

2 – Vinni Lettieri scored a goal and added an assist.

1 – Hudson Fasching scored the game winner in overtime.

What’s Next
The Gophers will travel to East Lansing, Mich. to battle the Spartans. The puck is slated to drop at 6:00 p.m. CT for both games of the weekend series.

Fasching should of won the Beyoncé "puck toss" tickets for his game winner. Or perhaps Bristedt for the trick shot of the season.

Fasching should of won the Beyoncé "puck toss" tickets for his game winner. Or perhaps Bristedt for the trick shot of the season.

Was a great game to attend. Really back and forth. Michigan is overall better and more talented, but we did just enough to sneak out the win.

Did what they had to do tonight. Win out the regular season and win their first in the BTT before playing Michigan and there's an outside chance for an at large. Dropping a single game before then and it's autobid or bust. The w-l percentage is killing them right now in the pwr

Did what they had to do tonight. Win out the regular season and win their first in the BTT before playing Michigan and there's an outside chance for an at large. Dropping a single game before then and it's autobid or bust. The w-l percentage is killing them right now in the pwr

What I think is doing the most damage is the common opponents part of the calculation because of how bad we were out of conference.

Top Bottom