Fan attendance

Current state of Minnesota guidelines would not allow any significant number of fans in the stadium.

Have they issued rationale for this that passes the BS test? It would be damaging for public trust if this were not, in fact, in accordance with the science.

Hopefully they don't even say anything about it. You got your football, and TV money is what matters.

Be thankful you can watch games on TV. That is the end of that discussion.

Virginia Tech had 23 players out tonight. Georgia Southern had 30 out the week before. Notre Dame postponed their game this week. Just a few of the many available examples.

Not paying attention or just willfully ignorant?
You said "The teams playing are having enough of their own outbreak issues each week". This would certainly imply that virtually all teams are having massive issues. You cited 2 or 3. Over 60+ teams played games yesterday without a hitch. Virginia Tech still managed to beat NC State by 21 points, their roster clearly decimated?

Websters says "Outbreak" is a "sudden and violent increase in activity..." It doesn't really sound like this applies at all in hardly any of these cases?

Your posts on the surface seem to have all kinds of strongly misleading comments, no doubt to support your seemingly very angry point of view

You said "The teams playing are having enough of their own outbreak issues each week". This would certainly imply that virtually all teams are having massive issues. You cited 2 or 3. Over 60+ teams played games yesterday without a hitch. Virginia Tech still managed to beat NC State by 21 points, their roster clearly decimated?

Websters says "Outbreak" is a "sudden and violent increase in activity..." It doesn't really sound like this applies at all in hardly any of these cases?

Your posts on the surface seem to have all kinds of strongly misleading comments, no doubt to support your seemingly very angry point of view

I'm not angry. I just don't like when people are obtuse. But to act like college football isn't being affected by COVID is silly. Multiple schools have had to postpone or cancel games. More than 2 or 3. I'd say that's plenty impactful. Even the coaches in their interviews are saying "we'll just have to see who is available for each week and it will be like that all season."

Not sure what else you're looking for or how it could be argued that COVID isn't impacting the teams. Louisiana was missing 6-7 starters yesterday. They were heavy favorites against Georgia Southern and had to kick a miracle 53-yard FG to win. You should ask their coach if having 6-7 starters out due to COVID had any impact on their team.

Current state of Minnesota guidelines would not allow any significant number of fans in the stadium.

But they haven't restricted me specifically ....

giphy.gif

I did hear on the Vikings game today that there were a couple hundred live fans at the game -- all Vikings staff members and their families -- because they wanted to do a test run of protocols for having fans in the stadium for future games, if that can be done.

I did hear on the Vikings game today that there were a couple hundred live fans at the game -- all Vikings staff members and their families -- because they wanted to do a test run of protocols for having fans in the stadium for future games, if that can be done.

Why would they do that to those people!?!?!?

Glad I wasn't one of them today.

I got this email today:

For the start of the 2020 football season, there will be no ticket sales for Gopher Football home games. Only the immediate family of participating football student-athletes will be permitted in attendance at TCF Bank Stadium. Additionally, there will be no tailgating permitted on university property this football season.

It is possible this is revisited at a later date. However, current state guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Health restrict capacity for outdoor events to 1,500 spectators.

No surprise there.

There was a time that the BIG was highly criticized for not starting the season while P5 schools in BIG states were playing football. Now I am watching Iowa St play in front of thousands of fans while Iowa will play in front of an empty stadium. Whether you think there should be fans or not, there is no logical explanation for the discrepancies in policies. The BIG will have weeks of data and the ability to provide a safe environment for 12,000-18,000 fans as a minimum per venue. For those of you that think I am nuts, I might be, stay home and let those that want to attend do so.

There was a time that the BIG was highly criticized for not starting the season while P5 schools in BIG states were playing football. Now I am watching Iowa St play in front of thousands of fans while Iowa will play in front of an empty stadium. Whether you think there should be fans or not, there is no logical explanation for the discrepancies in policies. The BIG will have weeks of data and the ability to provide a safe environment for 12,000-18,000 fans as a minimum per venue. For those of you that think I am nuts, I might be, stay home and let those that want to attend do so.
Again, clearly the SCIENCE is a lot different in Ames, IA than it is in Iowa City, IA. Light years different. Try to keep up

I wouldn't blame any team for wanting fans to rally the team just generally.

But beyond that say you pack in 2k or something (just assume you can do that for whatever reason)... does that really cover the cost of hosting 2k randos in your stadium? Security and all the stuff that goes with that and etc?

Bolded sentence: why is it OK for you to say that, as a person, to other people .... but it is not acceptable for the Big Ten Conference to say "For those of you conferences that think I am nuts, I might be, go ahead and allow your schools to have limited fans and let me make the decision that we won't have any." ???

But beyond that say you pack in 2k or something (just assume you can do that for whatever reason)... does that really cover the cost of hosting 2k randos in your stadium? Security and all the stuff that goes with that and etc?
Good point.

But to his point, Iowa State legit looked like they had well over 10k fans in attendance. People close together too. High-fiving, hugging in celebration. Lot of mask wearing, which was great to see. But also lots of students doing, well, student stuff.

I thought I saw on the ESPN ticker last night that SMU actually banished their students from the game at half-time, for refusing to follow the safety protocol they had set in order to get into the stadium.

If on the far end of the risk spectrum one has the idiocy of tightly packed groups, hugging, close talking at the White House/Rose Garden last weekend, and on the other end of the risk spectrum empty stadiums or people isolating in their homes, based on the known facts it seems reasonable and very low risk to allow a fraction of stadium capacity that can distance appropriately, masks required. Clearly some people will probably scream/yell and/or remove their masks so the risk is not zero. Probably no more dangerous than other outdoor events with even less spacing involving loud vocalizations. Is it riskier than going to Wal-Mart? Not sure.

Whether small capacity makes financial sense? Not for me to say. I’d guess many season ticket holders will choose not to attend based on their own risk tolerance.

I thought I saw on the ESPN ticker last night that SMU actually banished their students from the game at half-time, for refusing to follow the safety protocol they had set in order to get into the stadium.

Theatrics, but at least they tried.

Top Bottom