Facility issue?

seems to be a easy question to find out for a reporter. Call one of the players or coaches or talk to the janitor. Reporting sucks.

Assuming sarcasm from you, if not weird question to be "guarded" about answering.
Mostly the fun of Gaards open ended question vs Flecks guarded approach of not wanting to respond to Gaard’s non specific question question.

Wink wink:

Who knows? Perhaps the U of M is on a special Excel Energy gas and electricity contract that limits their ability to heat the facility to the mid 80 degree level?

; o )

Just kidding and having fun…guess you’ll just have to ask Gaard what he thinks the next time he shows his face here.

“Oh sorry Coach Fleck, the indoor football facility has been scheduled for __________ on Wed and Thur this week. The weather looked nice so we just assumed you’d be practicing outside.”

We just don’t know what fills the blank.

You do the same sooner if you don't make the 1st down.
No, you don't. Going for it on 4th down and not making it is not "conceding a loss" which is what you were responding to, Heather. You might still lose, but it's not the same as conceding a loss.

Last edited:

No, you don't. Going for it on 4th down and not making it is not "conceding a loss" which is what you were responding to, Heather. You might still lose, but it's not the same as conceding a loss.
Is Replacement Gopher one of your other monikers?

Is Replacement Gopher one of your other monikers?
I'll take your deflection to mean you don't have a legit comeback. Boards would be nicer if more people would just admit when they are wrong, but you do you.

I'll take your deflection to mean you don't have a legit comeback. Boards would be nicer if more people would just admit when they are wrong, but you do you.
Good grief. Calling out the 5th-grade level name calling. My point was that Gophs not making that 1st down would put UNC in a much, much better position to score again (short field).

“Oh sorry Coach Fleck, the indoor football facility has been scheduled for __________ on Wed and Thur this week. The weather looked nice so we just assumed you’d be practicing outside.”

We just don’t know what fills the blank.
I don't think anything does, which is why to me it make more sense for some kind of unscheduled maintenance that couldn't be delayed or some scheduled maintenance that got delayed or took way longer than it should have.

I would assume football has the practice facilities booked for practice for the whole season, and I would assume they have indoor and outdoor booked even if they aren't using one.

I don't think anything does, which is why to me it make more sense for some kind of unscheduled maintenance that couldn't be delayed or some scheduled maintenance that got delayed or took way longer than it should have.

I would assume football has the practice facilities booked for practice for the whole season, and I would assume they have indoor and outdoor booked even if they aren't using one.
It was discussed on Fleck's radio show today. He mentioned being very frustrated by all the cramping, calling cramps avoidable. He said that they practiced for a couple of days with temps elevated in the facility, then said they weren't able to do that after those days. Sure sounded like to me that they were told that they couldn't practice like that anymore, whether it was some higher ups at the U or the NCAA shut it down. Maybe someone else who was listening heard it differently.

It was discussed on Fleck's radio show today. He mentioned being very frustrated by all the cramping, calling cramps avoidable. He said that they practiced for a couple of days with temps elevated in the facility, then said they weren't able to do that after those days. Sure sounded like to me that they were told that they couldn't practice like that anymore, whether it was some higher ups at the U or the NCAA shut it down. Maybe someone else who was listening heard it differently.
Ooooohhhh, interesting.

Wonder if there was an energy consumption issue that the U put the stop on, or maybe its a heat pump type system, and with the ambient temperature being not too much different that system just couldn't run at that high a temp for that long?

Or maybe other users of the facilities after football were complaining. Heating up to 80 and cooling down afterward probably takes a long time, so anyone else using the facilities when football wasn't would be stuck in the heat for a little while.

Or maybe that wasn't an issue, but the constant cycling of the system to heat to 80 and then cool back down to whatever temperature they usually have the facilities at was putting a lot of stress on the HVAC system and that's why they had to stop?

I was listening to it a bit and I took away that he was more annoyed with training staff than the facility.
You don’t actually practice not getting cramps. You take fluids. Who’s running the trainers’ team?

Does the band practice in there? As a school administrator DO NOT mess with marching band practice (although I heard a band director got tazed in Alabama the other day for not stopping when the cops told him to).

@Taji34 the facility has to have a heating system with enough BTU output to get he whole space reasonable warm in the dead of winter. So taking it up from an outdoor ambient of even 65 to even 85, should be zero issue. Just cost (and “waste” of energy, to some people).

You wouldn’t cool it down either. You’d just turn the heaters off when done. It would cool down fine naturally.

It’s nearly brand new, I have doubts that there was any mechanical issue at all with the systems.

I buy that someone, either athletic dept or overall school, came down from a high horse and declared it against student well-being to practice in “artificially elevated temps”.

The short (4min) postgame with Gaard is on the iHeart podcasts page here: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-gophers-on-demand-28275888/

It’s at the end of the interview. This is what I heard from 3:51 on:

Gaard: Last thing for you, I know you practiced in the indoor 80+ degrees .. seems like you dealt with a lot of cramping again here today, was that surprising for you in that I’m sure you were prepared for it?

Fleck: Well we only got to practice in the indoor for half the week.

Gaard: …[I assume this pause was Gaard waiting for PJ to elaborate unprompted]….. How come?

Fleck: Uhh … ughhhhh … [very awkward pause here .. gears spinning in Fleck’s head of if he should let this go] … we just weren’t able to.

No further elaboration on why.
Thanks. Listened to it. Definitely was upset about not being able to use the facility. He never has long pauses like that and then no real answer.

Didn’t Brewster turn the old indoor facility up to like 90+ trying to simulate Florida Atlantic?

I recall they won the game but barely?

You don’t practice not cramping. You hydrate. Fleck’s issue should be with training staff. And he cannot be angry enough with what happened. I sincerely hope railing against lack of indoor facility is for public consumption. But that is not where the problem lies.

The way he approached the question, it was not a mechanical issue they couldn't use it. Something else was going on here.....if it was indeed a non-revenue sport wanting to use the football teams tech, Coyle needs to put his big boy pants on and fix it
It was 100% some other group using the facility as that is the only thing that makes sense in how Fleck worded the reply.

Does the band practice in there? As a school administrator DO NOT mess with marching band practice (although I heard a band director got tazed in Alabama the other day for not stopping when the cops told him to).
They don't, at least not at this time of year. They always practice outside at TCF until it gets too cold, then will have practice in the old fieldhouse. I believe they've used the new fieldhouse a few times when the old one was already booked and football wasn't using the new one.

Ooooohhhh, interesting.

Wonder if there was an energy consumption issue that the U put the stop on, or maybe its a heat pump type system, and with the ambient temperature being not too much different that system just couldn't run at that high a temp for that long?

Or maybe other users of the facilities after football were complaining. Heating up to 80 and cooling down afterward probably takes a long time, so anyone else using the facilities when football wasn't would be stuck in the heat for a little while.

Or maybe that wasn't an issue, but the constant cycling of the system to heat to 80 and then cool back down to whatever temperature they usually have the facilities at was putting a lot of stress on the HVAC system and that's why they had to stop?
The U experts calculated that if they heated the facility two more days all the glaciers on earth would melt and North Carolina’s football stadium would be under 30 feet of water. Cramps vs global flooding and disaster is a pretty easy call PJ!

Top Bottom