Ezra: Firing Richard Pitino is Looking Like a Massive Mistake by Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Ezra (Better Than…):

Richard Pitino > Ben Johnson​

Sure, Richard Pitino had a hard time keeping the borders closed (because he didn’t really care to). And yeah, he had a hard time winning crucial conference road games. Obviously, the man has his flaws, but did Mark Coyle move to fast in firing him?

Pitino’s held a 141-123 career record as Gophers head coach. His 54-96 record in Big Ten play felt like a disappointment three years ago, now looks a lot more palatable. His replacement, Ben Johnson, holds a 30-41 record as Minnesota’s head coach, including an absolutely dreadful 7-33 conference record.

When the Gophers hired Ben Johnson, many fans saw it as a breath of fresh air. He was a hometown kid who played at DeLaSalle and wore a Minnesota uniform in college. He was known for his recruiting skills, which generated even more excitement among fans convinced that closing the recruiting borders around the state would lead to consistent NCAA tournament runs.

I’m going to be honest. I worried about what would happen after Pitino was fired, even before it happened. I mean, every season, regardless of record, the Gophers had a competitive team under Richard and he had a way of finding talent that others didn’t, whether he had to go international or into the transfer portal (before it was popular).

When Richard Pitino coached the Gophers it felt like they had a shot at victory, no matter who, when or where they played. I’m not surprised in the slightest how easily he seems to be putting the New Mexico basketball program back together. I get sad thinking about what could’ve been…

Go Gophers!!

I like that it mentioned Pitino's teams always being competitive. With the exception of 2015-16, the Gophers had reasonable hopes of making the tournament at some point of every single season he was here. Pitino's effectiveness at spring recruiting might also prove to be a very valuable skill in the new college basketball landscape.

As someone who backed Pitino pretty much until the bitter end, I think it was time for him to go. There would have been very little enthusiasm for year 9 of Pitino. There was no momentum left, and you can only sell hope for so long. Even if every failure of the program could be chalked up to bad luck and outside forces beyond Pitino's control, it's tough to just keep saying you need more time. A fresh start might have been exactly what both Pitino and Minnesota needed.

It's why I also would be on board with firing Ben Johnson if we end up in last place in the Big Ten again. Year 3 is still pretty early in a coach's tenure, but there need to be signs of life, which we may be getting this year, if you feel like 6 to 10 conference wins in a down Big Ten constitutes positive momentum.

Per Ezra (Better Than…):

Sure, Richard Pitino had a hard time keeping the borders closed (because he didn’t really care to). And yeah, he had a hard time winning crucial conference road games. Obviously, the man has his flaws, but did Mark Coyle move to fast in firing him?

Pitino’s held a 141-123 career record as Gophers head coach. His 54-96 record in Big Ten play felt like a disappointment three years ago, now looks a lot more palatable. His replacement, Ben Johnson, holds a 30-41 record as Minnesota’s head coach, including an absolutely dreadful 7-33 conference record.

When the Gophers hired Ben Johnson, many fans saw it as a breath of fresh air. He was a hometown kid who played at DeLaSalle and wore a Minnesota uniform in college. He was known for his recruiting skills, which generated even more excitement among fans convinced that closing the recruiting borders around the state would lead to consistent NCAA tournament runs.

I’m going to be honest. I worried about what would happen after Pitino was fired, even before it happened. I mean, every season, regardless of record, the Gophers had a competitive team under Richard and he had a way of finding talent that others didn’t, whether he had to go international or into the transfer portal (before it was popular).

When Richard Pitino coached the Gophers it felt like they had a shot at victory, no matter who, when or where they played. I’m not surprised in the slightest how easily he seems to be putting the New Mexico basketball program back together. I get sad thinking about what could’ve been…

Go Gophers!!
Is this article for real??

Coaching??? We're seriously talking about coaching?

Put me as the coach of a paying team....and I'll beat Coach K, Calipari, or any of those geniuses if they had to coach the Gophers.

Last edited:

the two things are not connected, despite the efforts of many people to make them connected.

they are two separate decisions.

at the time, I thought letting Pitino go was the right move. the program seemed to have stagnated.

because the hiring of Johnson has not worked out, some people think that makes Pitino look better by comparison. but - in 8 seasons - Pitino had 4 seasons with an overall winning record and 4 seasons with an losing record. in B1G play, 1 season with a winning record; 3 seasons with a winning % in the 40's; and 4 seasons with a conference winning percentage of 33% or lower.

"he didn't stink as bad as the next guy" is not a ringing endorsement.

Most years Pitino's teams were national talk with fast starts and gaudy records. Then conference play happened and his teams crumbled. New Mexico did the same thing. It will happen again this year.

Per Ezra (Better Than…):

I’m going to be honest. I worried about what would happen after Pitino was fired, even before it happened. I mean, every season, regardless of record, the Gophers had a competitive team under Richard and he had a way of finding talent that others didn’t, whether he had to go international
He Lives!

1702845412548.jpeg

or into the transfer portal (before it was popular).

Top Bottom