everyone should read this

DiehardGopher

Reaction score
whats with everyone freaking out about the football team? this board is actually painful to read now because every time i log on there are posts proclaiming redshirt freshmen as underachievers, throwing brewster and his coaching staff under the bus and everywhere people that don't understand how it takes time for the development of a program and the talent brought in through recruiting. Quit with the knee-jerk reactions and actually THINK for a second.

whats with everyone freaking out about the football team? this board is actually painful to read now because every time i log on there are posts proclaiming redshirt freshmen as underachievers, throwing brewster and his coaching staff under the bus and everywhere people that don't understand how it takes time for the development of a program and the talent brought in through recruiting. Quit with the knee-jerk reactions and actually THINK for a second.

I definitely agree that there is a lot of negativity but it would be wrong to say it's everyone. Many of us remain positive - this has come up several times (and been supported) and the fact that it does shows this.

It wasn't meant as ego, just to be attention grabbing so that the most people would read it.

And I didn't mean to say that everyone is negative, but there is a vocal group which sucks all positivity out of this board.

I definitely do agree that at times this board has gone from a wonderful place to catch up on Gopher nuggets to a Rube Chat like board were negative nancy's rule the roost.

whats with everyone freaking out about the football team?

DieHard,
You are painting with too broad a brush.

Not everyone is freaking out. You'll see a lot of cool heads remaining at the GopherHole. Usually, they are long-time posters. The problem is that they (we?) tend to write several paragraphs that attempt to be an objective look at our team and the season they've had. The knee-jerk overreactors, on the otherhand, write dozens of one-line uninformed quips that are aimed more at provocation than at participation in a rational discussion.

My observation is that most of the folks out there who have a roller-coaster of reactions to wins like Michigan State and losses like Iowa State haven't been fans for more than 5 years. They are likely also the children of baby boomers who were coddled their entire lives and told that they were the best at everything. They expect immediate gratification.

I look at a football program like a stock portfolio. Each individual stock will have its ups and downs and there will be some you'll want to dump and others you'll want to acquire. The big picture, however, is about trending and peer-comparison. As far as trending goes, I think we are operating at about the same level as we have been for this entire decade. I'd like to see more improvement, but am willing to be a little more patient. As far as peer comparrisons; statistically, our peers have been Northwestern and Michigan State for most of the past 10 years. We beat both and performed at about the same overall level this year. I'd like our peers to be Iowa and Wisconsin, but thereagain, I am willing to be a little patient.

I do agree, though, it is hard to look at this board with all those who can't hack the ups and downs of a football season and can't be rational about their need for immediate gratification.

GGR-
I like your posts, but you found a awfully wide brush as well my friend.

What everyone should read is that wow thread. Sammyhawk is the early bet to be the best troll of 2010.

DieHard,
You are painting with too broad a brush.

Not everyone is freaking out. You'll see a lot of cool heads remaining at the GopherHole. Usually, they are long-time posters. The problem is that they (we?) tend to write several paragraphs that attempt to be an objective look at our team and the season they've had. The knee-jerk overreactors, on the otherhand, write dozens of one-line uninformed quips that are aimed more at provocation than at participation in a rational discussion.

My observation is that most of the folks out there who have a roller-coaster of reactions to wins like Michigan State and losses like Iowa State haven't been fans for more than 5 years. They are likely also the children of baby boomers who were coddled their entire lives and told that they were the best at everything. They expect immediate gratification.

I look at a football program like a stock portfolio. Each individual stock will have its ups and downs and there will be some you'll want to dump and others you'll want to acquire. The big picture, however, is about trending and peer-comparison. As far as trending goes, I think we are operating at about the same level as we have been for this entire decade. I'd like to see more improvement, but am willing to be a little more patient. As far as peer comparrisons; statistically, our peers have been Northwestern and Michigan State for most of the past 10 years. We beat both and performed at about the same overall level this year. I'd like our peers to be Iowa and Wisconsin, but thereagain, I am willing to be a little patient.

I do agree, though, it is hard to look at this board with all those who can't hack the ups and downs of a football season and can't be rational about their need for immediate gratification.

My thoughts exactly... saved me some typing. :)

It's the squeeky wheel getting the grease. The negative posters feel that something is wrong, so they will be vocal about it. The patient posters won't be as vocal because they're playing wait-and-see. The sucky part is that, as you pointed out, this makes it seem like EVERYONE is negative and it spreads.

GGR-
I like your posts, but you found a awfully wide brush as well my friend.

Fair enough. I just get awfully frustrated with the negative types and am confused by them. I think it is human nature to try to pigeonhole the people that are different than us - and I did that in my post.

The truth is, I don't know what characteristics make some people so negative. But I'll try not to put too much energy into worrying about them.

The only reason that we see this sort of reaction is because in the past, we didn't have message boards. If we had message boards in past decades, we would have seen the same types of reactions. It doesn't have anything to do with baby boomers.

I know your pain. The thing is I can't even convince some of my family members, who are very well versed in football that Rome wasn't built in a day so I think the odds of getting that message across in an internet forum are stacked against you. But short posts should not be viewed negatively!

Arrests, losses, de-commits, horrible coaching, worse play.........I don't know why everyone is feaking out either??:eek:

For whatever reason, I've noticed people tend to freak out about football all the time, regardless of whether it's college, the NFL, high school or pee wees. This goes for the entire country. Win or lose, it seems that people are constantly freaking out about football because...well...I'm not completely sure. Anytime a game happens everybody freaks out about everything that happens, whether it's good, bad or indifferent. So in that regard, this board isn't any different from any other football board. Rather, it's just following right down the line of football insanity that is now commonplace.

Having said all that, certainly it would be more desirable for folks to tone it down a bit and rely on some rationality when posting. But when taking into account the manner in which football is obsessed about, I don't expect irrationality to subside anytime soon. I guess the best thing to hope for is that people inherently calm themselves a bit before posting. Again, not holding my breath on that one, but I figure it's at least worth a try. :eek:

I dont post much but I tend to check out the positive way more than the negative. Probably why I tend to support Brewster. We have been down for 40 years and its way to easy to be negative. We need to change that mind set. Oh course sometimes I wonder if its possible when all the popular media in the cities are negative based crap. Tom Bernard, Barriero, Ruesse etc. People listen to that and think its the norm. Anyway, here's hoping for bigger and better things!!

Arrests, losses, de-commits, horrible coaching, worse play.........I don't know why everyone is feaking out either??:eek:

All programs have them, all programs have them, all programs have them, your hyperbolic opinion, and once again your hyperbolic opinion.

Why don't you act a little more like what your moniker suggests and think harder.

What this board needs is more objectivity and sanity. On both sides. Every argument devolves into one camp trumpeting patience and faith, and one camp yelling about failures and stagnation. It's the same thing over and over. I think there are a lot more "middle ground" folks out there.

Although, I will admit it's tough being in the middle ground because it's almost a pessimistic hope. Don't want it to turn to apathy.

What I truly cannot grasp is how people cannot see the progress that's been made by Brewster. I understand the perceived failures on the field and in the record books, but how can you not see what is being built up? How do you win immediately with a complete culture change in the program? It isn't like Brew came in and adopted Mason's offensive gameplan; he completely reset it. The defense has made massive strides since the early in mid 2000s. Some of the negative posters are so impatient it's like they're first or second year fans. Where were you when we used to suck?

To overkill a phrase: "Rome was not built in a day."

Not to be pejorative but is it possible you're seeing what you want to see, frozengopher? These signs of progress are subjective and open to debate. They're hardly a given.

That's for sure, Khaliq. Our signs of progress are open to debate. I've been a solid Brewster supporter, but that doesn't equal agreement with everything. First, I think it's been foolhardy to install two completely different offensive systems over the course of three seasons. The spread I bought into for several reasons. The spread's demise I haven't bought into, even a nickel's worth. What sense did it make to recruit a fleet of receivers and a big-time talent option QB to turn around and install an NFL-type offense? IMO one of Brewster's biggest mistakes and a glaring example that he may lack good judgment. Let's face it, he's a promoter, and every promoter I've ever known is prone to enthusiastically head off the deep waving his latest great idea in the air. I also question overall personnel improvement. It seems to be there, but then you start breaking things down and have to wonder "Why should it take 3 years to find an RB big and powerful enough to consistently break the first tackle?" I'm not saying we should have an AP, I'm saying it's not that hard to find someone of size and strength who can lug the ball between the tackles when necessary. We've never even tried, at least not on a game field.

So coach's enthusiasm and apparent determination to build depth I applaud. Hiring OC's who insist on running their own offense I think is foolhardy. If the guy doesn't want to run your offense, then get someone else, but don't turn the car keys over to someone who wants to strip your Mercedes down and turn it into a '85 LTD because that's what he's always driven.

Maxwell-
Saying that you are a solid Brewster supporter but that doesn't mean you agree with everything is one of the smartest things I've read in awhile. That is exactly how I feel, that it doesn't have to be all or nothing, blind love or absolute hate. Thank you.

They are likely also the children of baby boomers who were coddled their entire lives and told that they were the best at everything. They expect immediate gratification.

Yeah, those "one-line uninformed quips that are aimed more at provocation than at participation in rational discussion" are really unnecessary.

Top Bottom