Every Gopher recruit since 2003–ranked

My personal feeling (bias) is that a lot of the recruiting evaluations and rankings are based on play in AAU and other Summer-league showcases.

for better or worse, AAU is great for players to show off individuals skills, but I do not think it helps players who are more team-oriented. those are the type of players who can be solid contributors, but do not stand out when they're on the court with some guy making flashy moves or bombing in 25-foot jumpers. the kid who hustles, plays defense and works for rebounding position just isn't going to generate the same buzz.

rankings are only as valid as the person making the rankings.

Colt Iverson IMO was not a miss. I think Tubby had some sort of promise with Ralph Sampson and his family and refused to play Colt more minutes. I thought he looked good when he got run. B10 refs hated him too, I swear.

He went to Colorado State and averaged 14/10, and was drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft, and has since had a successful international career.
Again... I didn't say that the list were all misses. I said that they didn't pan out with the Gophers for some reason or another. I know that coaches are never going to keep 100% of their players and likely don't want to! Iverson's transfer illustrates Tubby's inability to figure out how to use him effectively with Sampson.

My personal feeling (bias) is that a lot of the recruiting evaluations and rankings are based on play in AAU and other Summer-league showcases.

for better or worse, AAU is great for players to show off individuals skills, but I do not think it helps players who are more team-oriented. those are the type of players who can be solid contributors, but do not stand out when they're on the court with some guy making flashy moves or bombing in 25-foot jumpers. the kid who hustles, plays defense and works for rebounding position just isn't going to generate the same buzz.

rankings are only as valid as the person making the rankings.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! AAU is about offense. The games are usually as entertaining as an NBA All-Star game. It is rare to see solid team basketball played so the emphasis is on the easy to measure offensive stats. Guards tend to dominate play so inside players are usually not rated as highly unless they are an unstoppable force.

Recruiting services can't measure heart, hustle, team integration, rebounding position, and dozens of other intangibles for hundreds of high school athletes. They just can't.

Jarvis is such a big What If. If not for the heart issue, I think he would've played well for the Gophers... at a position of need at the time too.

Again... I didn't say that the list were all misses. I said that they didn't pan out with the Gophers for some reason or another. I know that coaches are never going to keep 100% of their players and likely don't want to! Iverson's transfer illustrates Tubby's inability to figure out how to use him effectively with Sampson.
Fair enough...I skipped right over that part and saw the part where you said we have had a lot of recruiting misses. I really liked Colt45 and I was frustrated he could not get more run here.

Jarvis is such a big What If. If not for the heart issue, I think he would've played well for the Gophers... at a position of need at the time too.
The whole PG situation Pitino's entire career here was a big What If.

2015: Kevin Dorsey (scandal) and Jarvis (health)
2016: Amir Coffey (I think Pitino didn't take a PG because Richard Coffey was pushing hard for Amir to handle the ball)
2017: Isaiah Washington (whiff, no need to rehash McKinley Wright)
2018: Marcus Carr (thought he would get eligibility, BS from Pitt stopped it, still pissed off)
2019: Greenlee (late take in June, transferred after 1 year)
2020: No true PG, I think there was some thought Mashburn could handle some point?
2021: ??? not sure what the plan was, I don't think we had any serious PG recruits interested?

Biggest what if for me was 2018-2019 season. If we'd had Jarvis Johnson (or even Dorsey) as a SR with JR Coffey, SR Murphy, FR Oturu and Gabe, and SR McBrayer, and a healthy JR Curry from an alternate universe..man we have a shot to make a deep run.

Shit. That's somewhat depressing to look through those names. This is why there's been over 100 programs to reach the S16 since we last did. Recruiting/development just not good enough. I will admit we've been dealt some bad injury luck in a couple seasons, but still.

So, in other words, a list based completely on high school rankings that is utterly unconnected with their actual performance in playing here. Only on a list like that would a head case like Royce White be ranked second and David Muttaf would be ranked ahead of Jordan Murphy.
How dare you!

Mutaf was the second coming of Manu Ginoili according to some on here

2016: Amir Coffey (I think Pitino didn't take a PG because Richard Coffey was pushing hard for Amir to handle the ball)
2018: Marcus Carr (thought he would get eligibility, BS from Pitt stopped it, still pissed off)
2020: No true PG, I think there was some thought Mashburn could handle some point?
2021: ??? not sure what the plan was, I don't think we had any serious PG recruits interested?

Biggest what if for me was 2018-2019 season. If we'd had Jarvis Johnson (or even Dorsey) as a SR with JR Coffey, SR Murphy, FR Oturu and Gabe, and SR McBrayer, and a healthy JR Curry from an alternate universe..man we have a shot to make a deep run.
Good post and the really good programs have the depth, so 'next man up' isn't catastrophic to them, like it is to us.

Li'l Ricky struggled with recruiting? Hmmm.... that's news to me. I couldn't tell from the way his teams played.

Fair enough...I skipped right over that part and saw the part where you said we have had a lot of recruiting misses. I really liked Colt45 and I was frustrated he could not get more run here.
Eliason was similar, from what i recall. Dude was all hustle and D and the team always did well with him on the floor, but Tubby just didn’t want to play him, for whatever reason.

Top Bottom