Every Gopher recruit since 2003–ranked

Lotta people bitching about taking Isaiah Washington over McKinley Wright...look at that ranking for Washington. I get it's not everything, but I'm taking Washington every time without seeing the future.

Trevor Mbakwe is waay down the list. Wasn't he always highly rated, well thought of from a basketball skills, effectiveness standpoint?

Trevor Mbakwe is waay down the list. Wasn't he always highly rated, well thought of from a basketball skills, effectiveness standpoint?
Yeah these rankings get changed or something. Mbakwe was a Top 100 Recruit

So, in other words, a list based completely on high school rankings that is utterly unconnected with their actual performance in playing here. Only on a list like that would a head case like Royce White be ranked second and David Muttaf would be ranked ahead of Jordan Murphy.

So, in other words, a list based completely on high school rankings that is utterly unconnected with their actual performance in playing here. Only on a list like that would a head case like Royce White be ranked second and David Muttaf would be ranked ahead of Jordan Murphy.
Yeah, all-time recruits based on recruiting rankings only really serves to show how wrong they tend to be with their rankings.

On the football side, Jeff Jones and Clint Brewster still rank in the top 10 all-time.

Last edited:

Mutaf at 26 made me laugh, but Ihnen at 8 and Payne at 25 give me some hope for next year!

Yeah these rankings get changed or something. Mbakwe was a Top 100 Recruit
I think he was more highly rated out of high school.....went to Marquette and than he ended up at Miami Dade CC and i think his rating went down.

A fun waltz down memory lane! It shows how difficult it can be to rate players. There are so many on this list who transferred out for one reason or another... some after just a few games! That tells me that the coaches didn't do a good job making sure that this player would be a good fit for the team or whether the player was going to be OK living far from home.

Yeah, it shows that in some cases, individuals can be rated too high or too low.

But mostly it shows
1)the recruiting services generally know what theyre talking about, and

2) the Gophers need to recruit at a higher level to have long term success.

Bostick and Mbwake were pretty highly rated recruits. The list looks more like high school ranking than JC.

Yeah, it shows that in some cases, individuals can be rated too high or too low.

But mostly it shows

I'm talking about the large number of HS players who WERE ranked in the top 200 but who didn't pan out for the Gophers for one reason or another. We've had a LOT of recruiting misses AT a higher level.

Royce White
Isaiah Washington
Wesley Washington
Colton Iverson
Tre Williams
Kevin Dorsey
Martice Mitchell
Devoe Joseph
Bryce Webster
David Mutaf
Jarvis Omersa
Rico Tucker
Brandon Smith

Bostick and Mbwake were pretty highly rated recruits. The list looks more like high school ranking than JC.
Thanks for adding the JC/CC recruits. Bostick was another major miss. He came in with such hype. Nurumbi also was a loss.

Mutaf at 26 made me laugh, but Ihnen at 8 and Payne at 25 give me some hope for next year!
Mutaf finished this past season with Gran Caneria 2 in the Spanish pro league and was the league's leading scorer at 21 points per game, 36% from 3 (at the longer international 3-point line), and 79% from the free throw line. He was recently promoted to the top pro league team but has only played mop up minutes at that level. The kid won't turn 20 until June. We had our elite shooter in a Gopher uniform but never gave him a chance to show what he could do.

I'm talking about the large number of HS players who WERE ranked in the top 200 but who didn't pan out for the Gophers for one reason or another. We've had a LOT of recruiting misses AT a higher level.

Royce White
Isaiah Washington
Wesley Washington
Colton Iverson
Tre Williams
Kevin Dorsey
Martice Mitchell
Devoe Joseph
Bryce Webster
David Mutaf
Jarvis Omersa
Rico Tucker
Brandon Smith
Joseph was decent

Mutaf finished this past season with Gran Caneria 2 in the Spanish pro league and was the league's leading scorer at 21 points per game, 36% from 3 (at the longer international 3-point line), and 79% from the free throw line. He was recently promoted to the top pro league team but has only played mop up minutes at that level. The kid won't turn 20 until June. We had our elite shooter in a Gopher uniform but never gave him a chance to show what he could do.
One of the oddest deals I have seen. Pitino refused to play him and in the few moments he did, he looked like he had the shooting element and scorer's mentality that the team lacked.

But mostly it shows

I guess it depends upon how often "generally" means. These may be reasonably accurate evaluations the majority of time but there is a higher miss rate than many people realize and not just for Gopher recruits. The accuracy likely declines as you proceed down the ratings. So much of these ratings are based on size, strength, and athleticism while the player is 16 or 17.

But mostly it shows

I didn't really gather how these rankings reinforce your first point? On the the second one, I'll argue very strongly that our rankings were fine, but yeah we don't evaluate well enough. Many programs build off of guys that have similar rankings to ours. They just evaluate and most likely develop them better.

Royce White
Isaiah Washington
Wesley Washington
Colton Iverson
Tre Williams
Kevin Dorsey
Martice Mitchell
Devoe Joseph
Bryce Webster
David Mutaf
Jarvis Omersa
Rico Tucker
Brandon Smith
You can hardly blame the coaching staff for Wesley Washington....I think the administration refused to admit him to school......

But mostly it shows

It shows the recruiting services are frequently wrong. You could put together a really great team with the lower half of that list.

Royce White
Isaiah Washington
Wesley Washington
Colton Iverson
Tre Williams
Kevin Dorsey
Martice Mitchell
Devoe Joseph
Bryce Webster
David Mutaf
Jarvis Omersa
Rico Tucker
Brandon Smith
Colt Iverson IMO was not a miss. I think Tubby had some sort of promise with Ralph Sampson and his family and refused to play Colt more minutes. I thought he looked good when he got run. B10 refs hated him too, I swear.

He went to Colorado State and averaged 14/10, and was drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft, and has since had a successful international career.

I didn't really gather how these rankings reinforce your first point? On the the second one, I'll argue very strongly that our rankings were fine, but yeah we don't evaluate well enough. Many programs build off of guys that have similar rankings to ours. They just evaluate and most likely develop them better.
You don't see how the higher rated players on that list were generally better? The highest rated ones were most likely to be able to play professionally?

2nd point...12 4-stars and 1 5-star since 2003, the names on this list range down to barely 2 stars. Maverick effing Ahanmisi made the list FFS.

We're not recruiting at a high enough level. You can't build teams capable of winning the B1G and/or competing in the NCAA with 2 or 3 B1G level players playing per season.

Last edited:

You don't see how the higher rated players on that list were generally better? The highest rated ones were most likely to be able to play professionally?

2nd point...12 4-stars and 1 5-star since 2003, the names on this list range down to barely 2 stars. Maverick effing Ahanmisi made the list FFS.

We're not recruiting at a high enough level. You can't build teams capable of winning the B1G and/or competing in the NCAA with 2 or 3 B1G level players playing per season.
I think it’s easy to identify the top 30-50 kids and yes those will be most likely be solid-good. I saw a list that shows that being 60-200 is a crapshoot and requires talent evaluation from the coach. Five stars are fine and dandy but don’t equate to winning championships. It’s mostly three and four star kids. Schools like Villanova, Kansas, Purdue, Wisconsin, Virginia and most others rely on that group from 40-200. Talent identification is my issue with our basketball recruiting, not our rankings

Colt Iverson IMO was not a miss. I think Tubby had some sort of promise with Ralph Sampson and his family and refused to play Colt more minutes. I thought he looked good when he got run. B10 refs hated him too, I swear.

He went to Colorado State and averaged 14/10, and was drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft, and has since had a successful international career.
Agreed. Devoe Joseph was not a miss either. He just smoked his way out of school IIRC.

You can hardly blame the coaching staff for Wesley Washington....I think the administration refused to admit him to school......
It is the coaching staff's responsibility to build a relationship with a player. There is no way that this should have been a surprise.

Top Bottom