Evanston approves Northwestern's new $800M stadium

So they'll do it like Hawaii?

I suppose they'll need to take a trip to the islands to study in person how they did their rinky-dink setup until Aloha gets rebuilt.

So they'll do it like Hawaii?

I suppose they'll need to take a trip to the islands to study in person how they did their rinky-dink setup until Aloha gets rebuilt.
That’s the first thing I thought of too. Hawaii’s setup is only like 8k, but it doesn’t look terrible. Putting it on the lakefront could be brutally windy and cold in November, however.

Would seem unreal that between multiple MLS, MLB, and NFL stadiums that a plan couldn’t have been worked out by now.

That’s the first thing I thought of too. Hawaii’s setup is only like 8k, but it doesn’t look terrible. Putting it on the lakefront could be brutally windy and cold in November, however.
I think most likely this "plan" is all ad hoc and ... they're just not good at running much of anything at Northwestern, and they've already proven that too with their investigation, inaction ... oh wait I guess we'll do something ... maybe.

Me too. But at least Hawaii's current setup was existing infrastructure that they could make do with. It was already a stadium, albeit a small one. It was used for track, beach volleyball and women's soccer, as well as being the football practice field. It's been expanded to something like 17,000 too.

Hawaii's issue is different in that their home stadium was literally condemned, and they play in a city/state without another stadium above a high school level. Northwestern plays in a market with multiple suitable venues within a 30 mile radius or so. There was no excuse for this.

This is as dumb as that time when the Twins were begging for a new stadium and talked about building some temporary thing where IKEA is now.

Me too. But at least Hawaii's current setup was existing infrastructure that they could make do with. It was already a stadium, albeit a small one. It was used for track, beach volleyball and women's soccer, as well as being the football practice field. It's been expanded to something like 17,000 too.

Hawaii's issue is different in that their home stadium was literally condemned, and they play in a city/state without another stadium above a high school level. Northwestern plays in a market with multiple suitable venues within a 30 mile radius or so. There was no excuse for this.

This is as dumb as that time when the Twins were begging for a new stadium and talked about building some temporary thing where IKEA is now.
I think that temporary Twins thing was supposed to be on the East side of MoA, not the North (where Met Center was and IKEA is).

Also it was going to be just for a weekend series. I thought it was dumb too, but then those Field of Dreams games were played in Iowa in temporary Ballparks, so perhaps it was a feasible idea ahead of it's time.

While it seems to be a set up for a huge disaster for Northwestern, it's not impossible that it could work out for a few games.

The path of least resistance would seem to be to play at Soldier/Wrigley/Comisky.

That was the brilliant plan of the ex-Northwest Airlines guy that was in charge for some reason. Then he decided they should also fire Tom Kelly. He was gone shortly after.

Top Bottom