Estime gone?

Reaction score
Scout says Estime to visit Virginia Tech this weekend with a teammate. Now cosidered a soft verbal according to Phil Steele.

I hope this is isn't true/someone is jumping the gun.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. He's still verballed to the U but some coaches don't let recruits go on visits once they've verballed. I saw a tweet earlier that said something to the effect of Estime is visiting Va Tech if Kill wants him to go or not...

Kill bends over backward to be fair.

It came out somewhere soon after Jerry Kill was hired that his approach to closing the deal with recruits is unorthodox. He is more likely to encourage players to keep looking into every opportunity they might have--even right up to the end--before committing to his program. Apparently, Kill wants to make absolutely sure that the student athletes really want to play for him and the school at which he coaches. This sounds like the kind of open, honest and fair person Jerry Kill is. What impact it has on his recruiting efforts remains to be seen.

It came out somewhere soon after Jerry Kill was hired that his approach to closing the deal with recruits is unorthodox. He is more likely to encourage players to keep looking into every opportunity they might have--even right up to the end--before committing to his program. Apparently, Kill wants to make absolutely sure that the student athletes really want to play for him and the school at which he coaches. This sounds like the kind of open, honest and fair person Jerry Kill is. What impact it has on his recruiting efforts remains to be seen.

I really, really, really hate that approach. I'm sorry, but you have to be ruthless sometimes when it comes to keeping your recruits with you. If we lose him, I am going to be extremely upset.

That would seem to be a borderline insane recruiting approach...

I don't know if it works, but I can see Kill's point. It appears he is trying to reduce the bleeding of guys after their first or second years on campus. He wants kids who want to be here and, as importantly, want to stay here. If you get a guy who feels that he was pressured or not allowed to see all the campuses he may have been interested in, he is more likely to entertain thoughts of "what if?"

Or, I could be full of crap (a given) and just trying to rationalize his decision.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Kill's philosophy is if you commit to the Gophers and you take another visit your offer is no longer valid. He may make some exceptions given this is a weird class he'll be signing, but going forward we should expect that to be the case

Yeah noticed he is a soft verbal now on Rivals. Maybe Kirkwood can call him and try and help Minny but Id say he is gone if offered, not a hard choice, even though they have 3 DE's already in this class. Really sucks because this kid had some skills.

Well now rivals doesnt show him visiting VT this weekend?? A few hours ago it said visit 01-28-11. Idk whats goin on.

Too early to know...

I typically don't post about recruiting but enjoy following what does show up here on GH.

Regarding "allowing" or even "encouraging" potential recruits to do visits to other schools if the opportunity is there, we'll probably know whether it's true or not long before we know whether it makes any difference.

Coach Kill is on record stating he wants young men who want to be Gophers...others need not apply.

Although I agree it's risky to "let" the visits occur (especially this late), if this is his filter to achieve that objective of players who want to be Gophers, then I guess we'll just have to wait and see the results.

Seeing how previous regimes probably couldn't enforce a "no other visit" policy anyway...or having it would have kept some kids away from the start...not sure what we have to lose.

We're in uncharted territory again...certainly alien to a generation of potential fans...where we have a bona fide FB coach/staff, a coaching philosophy and identity, and eventually a recruiting strategy that goes with it. Hard to imagine but true.

I for one am ready for the ride. Can't be any worse than the one we've been on.:rolleyes:

Go Gophers! Let's Recruit!

When I was watching his video the other day and read somewhere that he may be moved to safety, the possible Virginia Tech visit made sense. Beamer has had some huge safeties over the years (Rouse, Chancellor, Jimmy Williams--who also played CB) and Estime is about the same size as those guys.

I really hope we land Estime. He appears to have some big-time playmaking ability.

Sounds like his high school coach is pro-VT. That sucks.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/01/vt-football-looking-more-signing-day-steals

ON DEFENSIVE END WEDLEY ESTIME: “Wedley is a high-energy defensive end, first year playing football. Just a guy that plays from the time the band starts until the time we hit the locker room. I thought he had a four-star year, which for a first-year player is amazing. The video speaks for itself. I haven’t seen anybody with a motor like his who has achieved as much in such a short time. The ceiling is so high.”

ON ESTIME, THEN, BEING A NATURAL: “You could say he’s a natural, but more than that he just loves playing. He enjoys it and he never takes a play off. His job was to get to the football this year and on every play, he got to the football. Even if he didn’t make the tackle, watch the video and you’ll see him around the ball. There’s no word for his effort.”

ON ESTIME COMING OUT OF NOWHERE: “He played a couple years of Pop Warner ball. But before that he tried to play basketball (Bean was the former hoops coach). He wasn’t eligible to play football until last spring. He figured his life out, worked hard in the classroom and was finally able to play. He changed himself.”

ON THE KID’S RAPID SUCCESS: “When he came out for us, he wanted to play receiver. This school is known for throwing the ball around. But he just didn’t do it for me at receiver. So Coach Brooks said, ‘Give him to me. I’ll make something out of him. He’s got everything I need.’ He’s got long arms, a great motor and he runs a 4.6. You can do something with that.”

ON THE HOKIES’ CHANCE OF GETTING ESTIME TO CHANGE HIS COMMITMENT FROM MINNESOTA: “I think Virginia Tech has a good chance. Not good, excellent. He needs to put himself in position to be successful, and whichever school he thinks he can be most successful at, that’s where he needs to go. Right now, Virginia Tech is playing on the big stage and we’ve had some kids from Atlantic go to Tech and do very well.”

ON WHEN VT STARTED RECRUITING ESTIME: “Early this week. Basically nobody knew about him. We just had a coach from Miami come in today. I didn’t even show him the film. If you’re right next door, you should come. Like with Hosley. If you’re right next door, you shouldn’t drop the ball. And if you drop the ball, always know that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. We feel that if you don’t see the talent in a kid, someone else will.”

ON THE HOKIES BEING GOOD TALENT EVALUATORS AND DEVELOPERS OF TALENT: “Virginia Tech has always done a great job of evaluating our guys and giving our kids a chance to succeed. So when you do that, you’re always going to have a chance with our kid. Every guy we’ve sent there lately has had a great career at Virginia Tech. So how can you turn Virginia Tech.”

I for one, like this approach, if this is his approach. Get the guys who truly want to play for the program and let the others go on their way. You would think that by encouraging players to take their other visits Coach Kill would be building some trust with them.

Yeah noticed he is a soft verbal now on Rivals. Maybe Kirkwood can call him and try and help Minny but Id say he is gone if offered, not a hard choice, even though they have 3 DE's already in this class. Really sucks because this kid had some skills.

Just because vt has a better football program doesn't mean its an easy choice.

if estime switches to v-tech, i wonder if we will go after one of their FOUR other d-end commits

Those quotes from his coach made me throw up in my mouth a lil bit.

Gee, I wonder what his coach is telling him to do? That's more than a bit over-the-top. He can do what he wants in private, but (and this isn't because he's talking down Minnesota) I don't see it as being very classy to go on record like this. And I'd say the same thing if a coach was talking us up in public.

It's a sad reality, but that is how our program is looked at beyond the gopherholers. Hopefully Kill can dent that a little bit in the next few years. If I wasn't from Minnesota and I had a choice between Virginia Tech and Minnesota, I would definitely favor Virginia Tech immediately without having done any due diligence.

TCF, they also had 3 DE recruits last season (one of them a 4star).

Why go to va tech? They play in a bad conference and have ugly unis.

If they keep him at DE.

Correct, if they keep him at DE. I was simply responding to TCF's post that they recruited 4 DE's this year and I said, yeah, and they signed 3 last year as well.

I do think with Estime, there is a very good chance that they will keep him at DE. The S stuff doesn't make sense with Estime (he is already 6'4" 215 lbs), the other big S's at VaTech are 220-230 lbs now. When Estime is 24 years old, he will probably be a lot closer to 255 lbs (at least).

If the weight is coming on that quickly, I suppose he could end up at OLB, but I think with a raw athlete like Estime, DE is going to be his position.

Could be Bob, but Beamer has had some giants at the safety position over the years.

I just hope we can keep his commitment. He looks extremely athletic.

Apparently the word "commitment" does have much meaning these days.

Top Bottom