ESPN: Way-too-early 2017 NFL mock draft has Gophers Mitch Leidner going in 1st round!

Justin Gaard basically went off about this on KFAN a few days ago, and he's right. I'm with the rest that think it's unlikely that Leidner goes in the first round, but who cares? Having one of the big draft experts on ESPN talk about Leidner as a potential 1st round pick is only a good thing for Leidner and the Gophers program. Not sure why some are so wound up about this...

It's bizarre. It's almost as if some are offended if you say anything good about him. Did Mitch kick their dog or something?

Only in Minnesota do we get upset when the media doesn't say enough good things about us, and we also get upset when the media does say good things about us.

Go Mitch!!

Only in Minnesota do we get upset when the media doesn't say enough good things about us, and we also get upset when the media does say good things about us.

Go Mitch!!
Good stuff is great, but when it's unrealistic it just offers another opportunity for ridicule. If the mock had Leidner in the 2nd or 3rd, nobody would be upset and Gopher fans would still be happy with the press. 1st is crazy based on his performance over his career.

Go Mitch!!

Bleed, it's a GH thing!

I will say it again: Trevor Siemian was drafted a few years ago for crying out loud. His stellar senior season included a 5.6 yards per attempt average, 7 TDS and 11 INT.

Good info over at The Daily Gopher: http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/5/6/11607834/minnesota-football-in-defense-of-mitch-leidner-gophers-quarterback

Case closed. A lot will depend on how many QBs are in the mix, but a good senior year probably makes Leidner a second day guy (Rounds 2 and 3). He still has to play well and his mechanics can get messed up, but he has the size and arm strength that makes pro scouts take notice.

Go Mitch!!

Todd McShay does this for a career. He might be wrong here, but if he keeps missing badly, he's not going to be working for ESPN any longer. A guy who fits the height/weight mold for an NFL quarterback is going to garner some interest. Sorry to those of you that hate "Mitcheroo" or "TE/QB" for whatever reason.

Good stuff is great, but when it's unrealistic it just offers another opportunity for ridicule. If the mock had Leidner in the 2nd or 3rd, nobody would be upset and Gopher fans would still be happy with the press. 1st is crazy based on his performance over his career.

No one should be upset either way. It's just one man's opinion.

If you've seen social media, there are many who used this opportunity to tell everyone how much he sucks and he has no chance of being drafted. A 2nd or 3rd round prediction may have lessened the criticism, but it wouldn't have eliminated it either.

Just thought of this: how funny would it be if Leidner is the one to break the Big Ten 1st round QB drought? Some people's heads would explode.

Extremely unlikely, but would be funny.

Just thought of this: how funny would it be if Leidner is the one to break the Big Ten 1st round QB drought? Some people's heads would explode.

Extremely unlikely, but would be funny.

Wait What would be a primary candidate for said head explosion but I am guessing it already happened when he read the headline saying Mitch could get drafted in the first round. Someone should probably stop by his place and make sure he is ok.

It's not crazy since performance is only one aspect that scouts/teams take into consideration.

Wait What would be a primary candidate for said head explosion but I am guessing it already happened when he read the headline saying Mitch could get drafted in the first round. Someone should probably stop by his place and make sure he is ok.

No way. Last time I went to his place, I walked up to the door, but had to turn around when I heard, "It puts the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again."

It's a sunny day here and apparently there is still room on Leidner island. I am going to enjoy watching him play his senior season. He has improved every year, finishes games strong, and I hope he leads us to 10 wins.

Go Mitch!!

What are you implying? It's not easy being us!

It's not crazy since performance is only one aspect that scouts/teams take into consideration.
So if he has a year identical to last year this season, his "intangibles" and "measurables" would be enough to warrant a 1st round pick? C'mon, performance is 90% of what matters.

I like Mitch as a QB and truly believe OL, WR's, and coaching have held him back. I think he'll get drafted, but not sure when.

My 9 yr old on the other hand, laughed at me when I mentioned that an "expert " was predicting Mitch in the 1st round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Mitch as a QB and truly believe OL, WR's, and coaching have held him back. I think he'll get drafted, but not sure when.

My 9 yr old on the other hand, laughed at me when I mentioned that an "expert " was predicting Mitch in the 1st round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly think the OL hurt the offense in general last year. Just didn't have a good year. I remember one play specifically where Leidner had two pass rushers in his face against Kent St. and they were only rushing three guys. Both our tackles completely whiffed.

I did the numbers after last year, if you cut the bad throws and bad drops in half, Mitch's number go up to about 65%. What would that do to his draft prospects? It really wouldn't take a lot of improvement for Mitch to look pretty good.

So if he has a year identical to last year this season, his "intangibles" and "measurables" would be enough to warrant a 1st round pick? C'mon, performance is 90% of what matters.

90%? Not even remotely close. I never mentioned he deserved to be drafted in the 1st round, but if he is it won't be because of his performance...that is obvious.

I did the numbers after last year, if you cut the bad throws and bad drops in half, Mitch's number go up to about 65%. What would that do to his draft prospects? It really wouldn't take a lot of improvement for Mitch to look pretty good.
And if you cut out the incompletions it's 100%! Every team has bad throws and drops. You can't drop stats like that unless you're Doogie trying to count the number of Big Ten basketball wins against teams not named Iowa.

You need Insider, but ESPN has Leidner to Dallas in the first round at pick #25
Based on last year's Way Too Early Tomfoolery, this means that Mitch could go in the 2nd to 4th rounds. Yes! *armpump*[emoji14]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wow, what a difference a year makes in the tone and conversations about Mitch.

And if you cut out the incompletions it's 100%! Every team has bad throws and drops. You can't drop stats like that unless you're Doogie trying to count the number of Big Ten basketball wins against teams not named Iowa.
I didn't say eliminate them, I said cut them in half, we had much more than our fair share. Matt doesn't need to improve radically, just incrementally, along with the receivers incrementally improving.

Mitch 3yr MAJOR conf starter, hard, bowls, got Maxx the ball, passed when DCobb needed him to, didn't read press clippings, stood behind Kill and bona fide leader. That makes the NFL talk real. Should he give a 60% completion this year, 8 wins and a solid TD: INT ratio...I will gladly expect no later than 2nd round draft.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mitch 3yr MAJOR conf starter, hard, bowls, got Maxx the ball, passed when DCobb needed him to, didn't read press clippings, stood behind Kill and bona fide leader. That makes the NFL talk real. Should he give a 60% completion this year, 8 wins and a solid TD: INT ratio...I will gladly expect no later than 2nd round draft.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Let me start off by saying I like Leidner and think he's a decent college QB. I think he'll get some sort of shot at the NFL.

That said, 64 FBS QBs completed 60% or more of their passes last year. The rest of the stuff you listed is circumstantial or random info.

Aaron Rodgers went 24 to a team with a QB that was a helluva lot better than Romo. And his Jr. year numbers were not much better than Mitch's

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Are we betting on Leidner being drafted? I'm happy to consider any bets. lol

Top Bottom