ESPN: UNLV removes Hey Reb! statue, eyes changes to mascot after widespread social justice protests

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

UNLV officials removed the Hey Reb! statue from campus Tuesday night, and UNLV president Marta Meana indicated that changes could be coming to the university's mascot in the wake of social justice protests around the country.

The Hey Reb! statue stood in front of the Tam Alumni Center. In a letter posted on social media Tuesday, Meana said UNLV officials were returning the statue to its donor.

"In our recent conversations with the donor, we mutually agreed it was best to remove the statue and return it," Meana wrote. "Over the past few months, I have had discussions with multiple individuals and stakeholder groups from campus and the community on how best the university can move forward given recent events throughout our nation. That includes the future of our mascot."

According to UNLV's website, the Rebels' mascot dates to the school's origin in the mid-1950s, when it was an extension campus of the University of Nevada, Reno.

"tudents and administrators drew the idea for Rebels from the natural rivalry that accompanied the split between what would become UNLV and UNR," the UNLV website says.

Students created Beauregard, a cartoon wolf with a Confederate uniform, to "rebel against Nevada-Reno and its wolf-pack mascot in the North." On its website, UNLV acknowledged, "While it was a decision based in rivalry and fun, the choice of a Confederate-themed mascot was nonetheless an unfortunate one."

Go Gophers!!

Kinda weird to pickup your civil war imagery ... in the 1950s.

Not that many would have objected, just seems a little late to get in on that hot topic...

Kinda weird to pickup your civil war imagery ... in the 1950s.

Not that many would have objected, just seems a little late to get in on that hot topic...
Not sure UNLV can get its own history straight...Wikipedia states Hey Reb was created in 1983. The original confederate based mascot was replaced in the 70s with a minuteman...which didn't stick either.

I always assumed the Hey Reb mascot was a cowboy or gold rush character.

I guess that Gopher mascot wasn't such a bad idea now, was it??

Guies hear me out on this, the new mascot should be Hitler... but the Hitler from The Producers .. so it will be a silly spoof of Hitler and people will love it.

Uh
..I think we're going to go with the Gopher....

Guies hear me out on this, the new mascot should be Hitler... but the Hitler from The Producers .. so it will be a silly spoof of Hitler and people will love it.

Uh
HAHAHA!!!!

Uh
Where did you get that from...? Facebook?

I guess that Gopher mascot wasn't such a bad idea now, was it??
Unless it is associated with the "Go Go Gophers" from Rocky and Bullwinkle. Then we have offended all indigenous nation's in North America. Better ban the Gopher, just to be safe.

Top Bottom